Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:53 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,673,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Just curious...do you think it's just coincidence that god is a man or could it be because only men wrote in the bible?? You know...the alpha male thing.

The bible in fact gives a man the right to thrash his wife if she dares not to subjugate herself to his wishes and whims. Strange that all the bible beliefs subjugated women and slaves. Now most churches are putting that part to the side...kinda like the way they're trying to deny the hell thing.
I didn't mention the Bible....I said "God".

Referring to God as "He" is the same as referring to all humans (male and female) as "man"...but I think you knew that.

That "off point", antagonistic style...soooooo much like Vic. Hmmmm, I think you two are buddies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 05:56 PM

360 posts, read 445,113 times
Of course only men wrote the Bible.

... Although, to be fair, they were divinely inspired by God, my friend.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:09 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
Of course only men wrote the Bible.

... Although, to be fair, they were divinely inspired by God, my friend.
LOL!

Actually I think men created god in their image instead of the other way round. Egotistical, Jealous, Envious, Vindictive...yep, had to be man created.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:19 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,598,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
Tell me something good about your religion.
The direct physical and spiritual connection to God through the Eucharist. That might seem a bit hard to explain as "good" from an atheist perspective, but from reading Arthur C. Clarke I think some atheists do see the appeal of linking/connecting to a higher mind.

Also the belief in redemption and self-improvement that, in a way, can continue even after death. (Purgatory, although I take it's really more of a cleansing than a post-death improvement regiment)

If you want something more "secular friendly" there's the charities, the support of the congenitally disabled, and being part of something that transcends ethnicity or nationality. Some here see Christian charities as only about converting people, but at least some Catholic-ran charities do little evangelism at all except in the "set a good example and hope others follow." The Catholic Church has a longstanding opposition to eugenics and euthanasia. As a congenitally disabled man this means a good deal to me. Although German Catholics were often shamefully silent on Nazi persecution of Jews they actively opposed the euthanasia program done toward the disabled. Lastly Catholicism is not a "national church" the way many Protestant or Orthodox churches are. Catholics are to be universal in terms of ethnicity and so forth. The Iraqi Chaldean Catholics singing in Neo-Aramaic to the Korean Catholics revering Korean martyrs to predominately black Xavier University in Louisiana, we're all part of one thing. There is something greater than the self, "the race", or even the Nation.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
LOL!

Actually I think men created god in their image instead of the other way round. Egotistical, Jealous, Envious, Vindictive...yep, had to be man created.
Your post spoke volumes about you.

You must be working off your own frame of reference...you are making the mistake of thinking that all men are like you...miserable, troubled souls.

You may have just described yourself, and the men you know and hang with...but that doesn't describe me, or most of the men I know.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
you are making the mistake of thinking that all men are like you...miserable, troubled souls.
Yeah I know how you bible thumpers are...I read your rule book:

You are meek

You turn the other cheek

You walk the extra mile

You love your neighbor

You do unto others as you would have them do unto you

You love your enemies

You pray for those who curse and despise you

If sued in court for your cloak you voluntarily give coat also

You give ten percent of everything you can get your hands on plus extra

You are perfect when you sell everything you have and give it to the poor

Is that about it?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know how you bible thumpers are...I read your rule book:

You are meek

You turn the other cheek

You walk the extra mile

You love your neighbor

You do unto others as you would have them do unto you

You love your enemies

You pray for those who curse and despise you

If sued in court for your cloak you voluntarily give coat also

You give ten percent of everything you can get your hands on plus extra

You are perfect when you sell everything you have and give it to the poor

Is that about it?
You didn't describe "Bible Thumpers"...you described the unreachable, but strived for, standard...definative of the finest qualities of human character and virtue possible...regardless of belief or non belief in a "Higher Power".

Old 05-01-2010, 07:37 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,577,721 times
Quote:
Your post spoke volumes about you.

You must be working off your own frame of reference...you are making the mistake of thinking that all men are like you...miserable, troubled souls.

You may have just described yourself, and the men you know and hang with...but that doesn't describe me, or most of the men I know.
Good observation!

Old 05-02-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
You didn't describe "Bible Thumpers"...you described the unreachable, but strived for, standard...definative of the finest qualities of human character and virtue possible...regardless of belief or non belief in a "Higher Power".
I left out one, "Take No Thought For Tomorrow."

Jesus said: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" ~Matthew 6:34~

Do you have a 401K or other retirement plan?

Last edited by Melvin.George; 05-02-2010 at 05:19 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 04:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,577,721 times
Quote:
Is that about it?
And don't forget the personal relationship with God thru Christ.

That being the core value. Of My *religion*.

Everything else is secondary and flows out of the core value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality