Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 04:42 PM

501 posts, read 167,646 times

Advertisements

In comparison to most people of my acquaintance, I am kind and generous and often insufferably pleased with myself.

This is IN COMPARISON TO OTHERS. In comparison to a Being who is perfectly holy, I am badly flawed to the point of being a veritable filthy rag (as the Bible suggests).

People are not inherently good. They are badly flawed, with a mysterious propensity toward evil. This is one of the great truths of Christianity, confirmed for me by long experience.

I don't have to hate myself or be wracked with guilt to accept that I am badly flawed and estranged from a perfectly holy Creator. I can be, and am, insufferably pleased with myself while accepting that I fall far short of perfect holiness, love and mercy.

What the OP characterizes as "inherently good" but "spiritually clumsy" misses the mark IMO. It is the Holy Spirit who helps transform our flawed nature and enables us to sometimes transcend it. But anyone who starts with the notion that "I and others are inherently good and just need to get more in touch with our spiritual side" is far - close to 180 degrees - from the Truth as Christianity understands it and I have experienced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 06:54 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,084,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

I find that the more I use my spirit rather than my mind in dealing with others, the better the outcome and the more love I find for myself and others

Please provide a real life example that you experienced.

Quote:
The truth is that we are ALL clumsy spiritually. We all want love but struggle in giving it freely to others. However, we are not inherently evil but inherently good.
No, that’s not the truth.
The truth is, a collective human behavior, nature and psychology is comprised of black, white and a large area of gray in different shades.
In a single household, two siblings would be brought up in the same environment but both could have completely opposite nature/behavior/psychology.

Yes, the social atmosphere, upbringing and life experiences could have some influence on how one is developed.
But, where ever there is group of humans, there will always be good AND bad people by nature in various degrees.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:49 PM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Be kind. Be giving. Be courteous. Take the time to appreciate the beauty of the earth and your life on it, as often as you can. Cherish what you have, your family and your friends. Give your life purpose because your time here is short, so use it well.
Not sure it's really about how I view myself, but my spirituality is a summation of my worldview and how I live my life.

Old 08-10-2023, 01:50 AM
nng

695 posts, read 289,248 times
Spiritually average, I have some bad habits and vices, but neither too bad nor super good. I have my own personal beliefs which serve me well .

Old 10-06-2023, 10:03 AM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
I don't know how, or if, I see myself spirituality. My spiritual practice is Zen, and it doesn't have any spiritual mumbo jumbo to it. But, it does. If we can get present, if we can get in the moment, then we see that what happens every moment is a miracle. I remember an old story of a Zen teacher being asked if he was responsible for any miracles. He said yes, every day I carry water and chop wood.

Those are truly miraculous things, but people want Disneyland magic or something. When we are truly in present time and not running around in our heads in the past (which does not exist, it's gone) or in the future (which does not yet exist), only then can we experience reality as it is, and it's all a miracle. In present time, we are in accord w/ the whole universe, and from this vantage point we see how much of our life is wasted because it's not based on reality at all, it's based on those two illusions, the past and the future.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:39 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father who knows me personally and who loves me despite my many flaws.

Old 10-07-2023, 01:17 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father who knows me personally and who loves me despite my many flaws.
I doubt He sees them as flaws

Old 10-10-2023, 06:48 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are a Spirit and your spirit is asking the questions, NOT your physical body!
is the question being asked by the brain or the mind? There is a difference

Old 10-10-2023, 08:00 PM

84 posts, read 17,618 times
I am perfect as my Father in heaven is perfect.

Man cannot comprehend this so he will rebuke it.

I am perfect in God’s view not in man’s.

Old 10-10-2023, 08:02 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullafaith View Post
I am perfect as my Father in heaven is perfect.
Well, I'm glad you see yourself as perfect. I suspect that God sees you as still needing some improvement, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality