Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:54 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,682,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well of course you would have to know the difference between a chemical imbalance, and demon activity. Tell me, is a chemical imbalance the reason some heavy physical objects levitate in the air while others watch?

phelps
Tell me, do you believe EVERYTHING you read on the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 04:20 PM

5 posts, read 8,498 times
I've noticed that my bedroom door only closes itself when my window is open.. I've ever had a door that was completely closed open itself, that would definitely freak me out. But in my case, i can safely say it's just the wind or like someone else said "a change in air pressure".

Old 08-16-2010, 06:35 AM

430 posts, read 584,113 times
Default Booo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Well doors don't open and close by themselves. Either someone opened them, which you say no one did, then you have spirits. The question is do you believe in spirits or not? If you do then you know, no one did it, so leaves the other option. It is up to you to decide which one you want to believe.
I'd say you didn't watch that excellent and logical QualiSoup video, now did you?

YouTube - Open-mindedness

[When there's homework, you really should do it if you'd like to keep up!]

We have a door in our house, just in one bathroom, that sometimes closes when you walk into the room. It's reactivity seems to depend on the time of day, or the ambient temperature, oddly. Mornings, or in very cold weather, it doesn't move. In the warmer afternoons, or in very hot weather, like now, it will close behind you.

GHOSTS!

(but they only live in that one room, the bathroom. How fastidious of them!)

Nope; our very old (a +125 yr old farmhouse resting on a series of pedestal foundations) house is reacting to temperatures and "solar loading" by shifting it's position sufficiently to tilt it enough that the balance point is altered just enough that my added weight in the room causes the door to close.

Simple, deductive reasoning following some evaluation of the likely, the rational, the possible.

Or....

GHOSTS!

(some people prefer the GHOST version, and there's no stopping them!)

Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
I'd say you didn't watch that excellent and logical QualiSoup video, now did you?

YouTube - Open-mindedness

[When there's homework, you really should do it if you'd like to keep up!]

We have a door in our house, just in one bathroom, that sometimes closes when you walk into the room. It's reactivity seems to depend on the time of day, or the ambient temperature, oddly. Mornings, or in very cold weather, it doesn't move. In the warmer afternoons, or in very hot weather, like now, it will close behind you.

GHOSTS!

(but they only live in that one room, the bathroom. How fastidious of them!)

Nope; our very old (a +125 yr old farmhouse resting on a series of pedestal foundations) house is reacting to temperatures and "solar loading" by shifting it's position sufficiently to tilt it enough that the balance point is altered just enough that my added weight in the room causes the door to close.

Simple, deductive reasoning following some evaluation of the likely, the rational, the possible.

Or....

GHOSTS!

(some people prefer the GHOST version, and there's no stopping them!)

I couldn't raise that one but Please, PLEASE, PLEASE I beg you all, especially the theists, to watch the one on Critical thinking.

Pleeeease

Ok, I saw it now and it's a very clear explanation of why opting for the preferred explanations (on Faith) and rejecting the others as 'closed - minded' is itself not being very open - minded. It is an illogical forcing of a preferred explanation where there really is none. It also gives a very good exposition of why individual supernatural/miracle anecdotes cannot be accepted, because there is no way of checking on them. We are simply expected to take the story on trust - no matter how whacky it sounds.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-16-2010 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 07:44 AM

Oh, wow..off topic or not, that is an excellent series of tubes. The utterly silly animation about 'Evolution is impossible' is soundly shown up by

YouTube - Evolution

which beautifully exposes the 'banana - atheists' nitemare' nonsense.

I propose to note these and post them whenever some theist talks nonsense about evolution, the 'Free will' excuse, miracle anecdotes, faith is better than evidence and the rest, and we need never have to waste time trying to educate people who just switch off whenever there's anything they don't want to hear.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:21 AM

430 posts, read 584,113 times
I have this sneaking suspicion, AREQUIPA, that they either don't watch them, or they squeeze their eyes together real tight and yell "LaLaLaLaLa" with their fingers shoved in their ears.

Because, frankly, how can you disagree with this fellow's superb logic on so many topics of reasoning and examination? Or, if so, Christian readers, please please elucidate to us all, exactly where and how he's so very wrong?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
I have this sneaking suspicion, AREQUIPA, that they either don't watch them, or they squeeze their eyes together real tight and yell "LaLaLaLaLa" with their fingers shoved in their ears.

Because, frankly, how can you disagree with this fellow's superb logic on so many topics of reasoning and examination? Or, if so, Christian readers, please please elucidate to us all, exactly where and how he's so very wrong?
I have to say that I see this so frequently that it is an utter delight to discuss with a theist who can argue halfway rationally, athough few have even a nodding acquaintance with critical thinking - a handier term than logic, since that is a discipline I can't claim to have mastered.

You may be right that the believers wouldn't watch them, but then even when we explain they never seem to listen. Still, even if the Theists ignore them. the others could watch them and I believe their arguments would become even more effective.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,225,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
My bedroom door opens sometimes too - even when it's all the way shut. I think it's just from the slight change in air pressure that occurs when another door is opened or when the air conditioning (or central heat) clicks on or off.
Yeah, it happens at my house when the air comes on. Scares the bejesus out of me sometimes when I'm sleeping!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:38 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,225,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
When did I say I had evidence to prove to the world that supernatural things exist? You can't call someone on something that didn't happen. Did you even read my posts?

All I have are the experiences of my family and myself that are very out of the ordinary. I don't know what is going on at my place, but it sure as hell isn't mass psychotic hallucinations or hoaxes. The OP seems to feel he/she is in the same situation and I sympathize with them. That's it.

Then you come along and start denouncing everything that doesn't fit your idea of reality in your little world. You present no proof of your position other than your own opinion that everyone who says something unexplainable hapened to them is mentally ill.

Well, you're welcome to your opinion, but it falls short as an explanation in my experience. I couldn't care less if you belive me but you have no right or business telling people what they did or didn't experience. You were not there.

So... since we're all on the suject of proving intangible things, prove to me you aren't and indignant troll.
How do we experience things? Through our senses: sight, smell, taste, touch, and sound. If something is supernatural, it is defined as "existing or occurring outside the normal experience or knowledge of man". How can anyone claim that something outside of their knowledge or experience does/doesn't exist? How can you have knowledge about something defined specifically as being "outside the knowledge of man"?

You are just attributing something you can't explain to something (spirits) that you have no proof of.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,842,741 times
All this you mean for Sartre's explaining of Abraham's choice for the human race. Am I a fool for containing the comparison of the Protestant Christian's metaphor of deciding determination of the multitude of sinners in vain with the indeterminism of the hopeless condition of deciding that Zion was such a great Idea for the rest of mankind that is globally aware for the origins of why we live and die nowadays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality