Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:27 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times

Advertisements

The first part is going to come out being really sarcastic, I'm sorry. Unless someone is being haunted, they're going to point fingers at the person that thinks they are. This is human nature, you won't understand something until you experience it!

So to start off,
Has anyone seen the opening to the new horror movie "Paranormal Activity"?
Interestingly enough, the end of his life due to an evil haunting, begins JUST ... LIKE ... THIS ... It hit theatres, coincidentally enough, a day or 2 before The OP posted.

Some people are gonna say you're nuts, paranoid, a bad carpenter all that jazz. But all silliness and prejudice aside, if it's a defect in the structure of your home, you can have it fixed. If you think you're haunted, have you tried looking into the history of the house? If indeed there is something going on that is not from this dimension, there will be a reason behind it. unless, like in the movie, it had nothing to do with the house, it was the owner who was being haunted, in which case, moving won't help, the demon (whose name I didn't catch in the credits) will follow you, drag you out of bed, and kill you in the middle of the night.

Now for some constructive posting...
Thankyou for owning pets! Most importantly, your pets can sense things that we can't. They were in the room with you. Putting aside their reaction to YOUR reaction of the door, were they acting funny? in any way?

There's lots of ways you can go about investigating this. The sensible thing to do is assume it's a carpentry/airflow issue. Look into it!

The next fun step will be, buying a small hand-held cam corder, starting a diary of events.

You can go the religious way, and have someone come bless the house, the doorframes, say a prayer or two. And seek some guidance.

You can go the wiccan way, and stock up on black candles (it's not a witch thing... black means protection, sanction) and a lot of salt.
Negative energy plays a big part in not only our psyche, but how we react to the environment around us. When I go see a horror movie, I am on edge for days, sometimes months, because I am suspect to everything around me once the lights go off, but on the same hand, my environment has every right to pick up on that negative energy (it's inviting enough, if indeed there is another dimension that exists, it can prey on this feeling) and would be well within it's rights to torment me. After all, I invited the bad vibes in, by delving deeper into a world (even if it was just a fantasy) where it does exist. Does that make sense? Two ways that people use salt, are for purifying. Mix sea salt into some warm water, and sprinkle it around your room, other rooms of your house, etc. Anoher way people go about it, are by lining the doorways and frames of your home with salt. (this seems messier to me, but it's an individual judgement call)

I am not recommending, advising, encouraging, or discouraging any of the above mentioned ways that people go about handling things happening on their own, that they don't understand. I'm just trying to provide some information.

So don't shoot the messenger, learn something new everyday!!
Home Repair Guide: How To Fix a Door that Won't Stay Open - ACME HOW TO.com
How to Bless Your House | eHow.com
WikiAnswers - How do you repel evil spirits

Don't get mad at any of the advice from people on here! You will run into people that laugh, disbelieve, tease, accuse, or simplify it.

Whatever the case may be, you came here needing help. And hopefully something here will help you

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 10-18-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 11:37 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Marylandkitten wrote:
Quote:
Your pets can sense things that we can't. They were in the room with you. Putting aside their reaction to YOUR reaction of the door, were they acting funny?
The pets were probably thinking to themselves "my owner's gone crazy, I wonder if I should try to find a new one?"

Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
It may be as you said: the wind and air pressure made the door open and then closed; but he said: "and I remember, I closed my door all the way because it makes that click sound when you close it."

I don't know about his door exactly; but it seems that when it is closed, it will not open unless by manipulating the handle
We can't be expected to answer, to speculate, about how something is happening based on an edited explanation by that person, especially when they really want to believe the paranormal.

Let's have him fly me there, all expenses paid, and let me observe this event (I promise not to look at his wife in the shower. I have my own wife, thank you very much...).

Later, we can all watch the well-lit, in-focus video, and we'll probably notice √ the open window allowing a draft, √ the measurable shift in the foundation of the house floor whenever the local freight train rumbles by, √ the documentation of a slight earth temblor in this area the night the door unlatched itself √ the fact that this door latch does not always correctly and fully latch itself.

Etc. etc.

In other words, there's an explanation, and it ain't supernatural. Unless you want it to be.

regarding this one from easnassir: So if you read these two soorahs daily, God will protect you from the evil of the whispering and suggestions of evil spirits and from the evil of any creature.

Yikes!

Last edited by rifleman; 10-18-2009 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 12:46 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Miss Shawn_2828 wrote:

As I mentioned on an earlier post I've been replacing all of the interior doors with nicer and heavier doors and yes, some of them would open and close by themselves before I replaced them. The two I have yet to replace do it fairly often. If a door is light and well balanced it doesn't take much pressure from the air to move it. I've noticed that when I walk from the kitchen through a couple of rooms towards my bedroom that when I come back the door to the kitchen has closed. It's just from the movement of air. The air conditioner and heater have also caused the doors to move. There's nothing mysterious about it at all.
You said it doesn't take much air to move them. Duh, the air is moving the door. We are not talking about air moving a door, we are talking about a door opening all by itself.

Then you say that the conditioner and the heater caused the doors to open, did you think this stuff before you wrote it.

WE are not talking about a conditionner, heater, or the air opening the door, we are talking about doors opening all by themselves. You must have not understood what the OP was saying..

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 10-18-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Miss Shawn_2828 wrote:
Quote:
You said it doesn't take much air to move them. Duh, the air is moving the door. We are not talking about air moving a door, we are talking about a door opening all by itself.

Then you say that the conditioner and the heater caused the doors to open, did you think this stuff before you wrote it.

WE are not talking about a conditionner, heater, or the air opening the door, we are talking about doors opening all by themselves. You must have not understood what the OP was saying..
I completely understood the OP and I'm merely telling you that I've had the same thing happen and I'm offering a reasonable explanation for it that won't require a visit from the Ghost Busters. Of course the air is moving the door, that's exactly what I said. I'm also suggesting to the person who wrote the OP that this is a much more realistic explanation than to imagine that there are invisible beings whose only goal in life is to go into someone's house and open and shut their doors.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:28 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
There is no explanation for what happened and I believe it might have been a spirit or something doing it.

What do you think?
There are no spirits or anything else supernatural. I've got a door in my house that will do that as well, and upon investigation I found a perfectly logical cause and effect...

...sometimes the latch doesn't catch, and a differential in air pressure causes the door to open, and then shut. BFD. It ain't magic OR rocket science.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:39 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
The other night, I was laying in my bed watching TV and then my bedroom door opened and then closed. There was no one in the house, and my pets were in my room with me, my wife was in the shower.

It was really odd, and it's never happened before. It freaked the heck out of out me, it was like someone was peeking into my bedroom, and I remember, I closed my door all the way because it makes that click sound when you close it.

I told my wife right away and she was in awe, she didn't believe me at first, but she finally did.

There is no explanation for what happened and I believe it might have been a spirit or something doing it.

What do you think?
When you take a shower the shower curtain gets sucked into the tub. How far is the bedroom door from the shower? The running water could have had an effect on the air current by the bedroom door.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Too funny! I came outside this morning and my car trunk was slightly open. Hmm, is there a verse for that??

Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Too funny! I came outside this morning and my car trunk was slightly open. Hmm, is there a verse for that??
"Lo and it came to be that the junk was too great for the trunk, wherefore the trunk did open, and a great sigh of relief was heard throughout the land. So it is written, selah." --Trunk 4:17-18

Old 10-19-2009, 12:56 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
First off, I happen to live in a haunted house and my entire family has experienced all sorts of supernatural wacky-madcap-fun since we moved here. So I'm a beliver. But before I lived here I was not a believer. In fact, it kinda threw me for a loop, and now my neat little explainable world is anything but. Strange, unexplainable things DO happen. You have to see it to believe it it, but when you do, it changes your world.

But, a singular isolated incident doesn't mean your place is haunted. It could be something natural. But if your house is haunted, don't live in fear. You can still live with it and have a happy, productive life even with things that go bump in the night.

It's strange, but after a while, paranormal events actually become "normal" and they hardly bother me anymore when they happen. Good luck with your situation and holler if anything else happens. I won't laugh at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality