Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
First off, I happen to live in a haunted house and my entire family has experienced all sorts of supernatural wacky-madcap-fun since we moved here.
Then prove it, and make a million dollars from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Then prove it, and make a million dollars from it.
It's a completely unpredictable phenomenon that is apparently intelligently controlled and has no need or inclination to prove itself. Like I said, you have to experience it to believe it. I am nothing but a passive observer and cannot "make" it happen. And what is money when compared to the awesome millenia-old mystery of life after death? I'd prove or disprove it for free if I could.

While I can't prove the existence of the phonemonena, I can easily prove I'm not the only one who has experienced it; and not only now, but across history. We may be completely interpreting it wrong (i.e. the spirits of the dead making themselves known to the living), but something beyond the scope of mere mortal life is going on.

If you are lucky, then you will not ever have the experience and have to rebuild your shattered understanding of what is and what isn't.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
If you are lucky, then you will not ever have the experience and have to rebuild your shattered understanding of what is and what isn't.
Gosh, I live in a house where two people were murdered. You'd think I'd experience something there if there were anything to experience.

And of course you won't try to prove anything -- you can't.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Gosh, I live in a house where two people were murdered. You'd think I'd experience something there if there were anything to experience.

And of course you won't try to prove anything -- you can't.
There are lots of places where bad things happened that don't become a paranormal horror movie subject. There are places where nothing bad (that anyone knows about) has happened but it seem to be a hotbed of paranormal activity.

Just because you've never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And you are wrong to discount other people's experiences for the same reason. I know what it's like to lay awake all night in terror because something just happened in plain view that logically should not have happened. It's a real, debilitating feeling, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, even terminal skeptics. I've been one of those too, and they have an extra hard time dealing with it.

I'm still of the opinion that someday we'll figure out what the real deal is, be it the 8th dimesion bleeding through into the 3rd or electrical impulses in some people's brains agitating molecules in distant objects, or even solar flares or ELF waves causing realistic hallucinations. Maybe events of the past are somehow recorded into reality and are occasionaly played back through our brains or onto electronics. (Like can be seen in photos and EVPs)

I'm not entirely convinced they are dead people floating around, but the phenomenon is not a lie for attention or existent purely in people's imaginations.

I'm afraid "because Chango said so" is the only proof you'll get today; take it or leave it, but don't forget it.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid "because Chango said so" is the only proof you'll get today; take it or leave it, but don't forget it.
I have no doubt that you believe you experienced something. But it wasn't supernatural. Also, it is completely possible for more than one person to imagine the same non-existent thing...Google 'mass psychogenic illness'. It's well-documented.

And 'because I said so ' is a cop-out, which doesn't surprise me. You claim something otherworldly exists...prove it. Don't just intone '...becaauuuussssse!" like some five-year-old.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:06 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
The other night, I was laying in my bed watching TV and then my bedroom door opened and then closed. There was no one in the house, and my pets were in my room with me, my wife was in the shower.

It was really odd, and it's never happened before. It freaked the heck out of out me, it was like someone was peeking into my bedroom, and I remember, I closed my door all the way because it makes that click sound when you close it.

I told my wife right away and she was in awe, she didn't believe me at first, but she finally did.

There is no explanation for what happened and I believe it might have been a spirit or something doing it.

What do you think?
If there is no physical reason for it, and if it was caused by a spirit. Then it was a demon. They have been doing things like this for a longtime. They want you to believe it was a ghost.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:35 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
I remember way back in 2008 when some spirits tried to get a hold of me. I was all alone in the house and I was in sincere mourning over the loss of my garden hose. That garden hose... Hang on a second, I think I'm going to tear up...

That garden hose had watered some of the finest specimens of bermuda grass in my yard and had treated my wife's flowers to some of the most intoxicating and powerful water my garden had seen to date.

Unfortunately, as I was dragging it over the French Drain, it caught onto a small shard of metal hanging on to said drain with a fastidious strength of maniacal proportions. As I pulled and tugged on it, it let loose a torrent of water and I had effectively spilled the life-system of the garden hose unto parts of the yard that had already been watered. As I saw the water pour out of my favorite garden hose like blood from a wound I saw my best friend's life flash before my eyes.

After winding the garden hose up and saying my final goodbyes to it as it sat at the bottom of my very large garbage can, I closed the lid and swore to avenge my garden hose's untimely death.

But, first, it was time for me to get drunk and ponder the loss of my friend. I went to the store and bought a large case of some cheap beer. Afterwards, I quickly went back home in a frenzied panic so as to commence with the sordid affair of drinking my dear buddy's memory into the dark depths of my heart and soul.

As I approached my thirteenth or fourteenth beer (things get a little hazy when you're that far into a good binge) I decided that what I really needed were some spirits. I sat around in silent contemplation for quite some time as I debated on where I could find such things and how I wanted them to possess every ounce of my alcohol-riddled bloodstream. I wanted to give everything up for whatever spirits were willing to enter my mind and body. I was ready to make the ultimate sacrifice and I asked for spirits to come and take control of me.

I sat and I waited for the spirits to come to me. I was expecting some sort of faint, ghostly image that might appear out of thin air and take hold of me but none came. I screamed loudly for them to come and take me. I was ready for them. I wanted spirits and I wanted them now. It appeared to me that not even in my lowest and most dismal of moments would the spirits come to take me away from the pain and solace that was dragging heavy on my heart.

Then, finally, my wife called and said she'd be home in about thirty minutes. I begged and pleaded with her to find me some spirits on her way home from wherever she was. She confirmed to me that she would do everything in her power to get me some spirits but that it wasn't going to be easy since the megalopolis of Churches in the surrounding area had driven so many of them away.

As I sat in fervent anticipation of the spirits waiting to take me home, I felt myself drift into a deep and relaxed stupor. The next thing I knew, I woke up several hours later on my kitchen floor with my throat parched and a nasty hangover. The pain of my lost garden hose had somewhat subsided and I no longer felt the imperative need for spirits.

But, low and behold, I looked up... Straight up, might I add... At the kitchen counter stood a spirit waiting for his introduction to my body. There, amidst the cloudy haze surrounding my skull and the knot on my head from hitting the tile on the kitchen floor, I saw the spirit standing forlornly large and ominous.

I couldn't tell at first if it was a good spirit or a bad spirit but then I saw the etching of "Daniel" on his side and realized that my wife had brought a fairly decent spirit home to me. Perhaps it was my inner fortitude or my state of suspended animation but I decided not to allow such things to come inside of me. I dragged my butt to bed proud of myself for not allowing such wicked things to enter. Besides, I had plenty of time in the future to drink that beautiful bottle of spirits on the kitchen table known by no other name than Jack Daniels.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:40 AM

35 posts, read 44,465 times
It could be a wide array of things. Though i don't personally believe in ghosts, I am open to the possibility. Never experienced one therefore all I have to go by is others accounts. I do know that when I was a teenager my sister kept having dreams about being raped by what sounded a lot like a description of the devil (cloven feet, tail, goat legs, horns, blah blah). She would wake up pinned to the bed. Granted can all be logically explained, the smell of sulphur in the room was the only questionable thing. But still, just not my bag. However, I would love to go stay the night at Mansfield Pen in WV. That place looks spooky. Would be a hoot!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
I have no doubt that you believe you experienced something. But it wasn't supernatural. Also, it is completely possible for more than one person to imagine the same non-existent thing...Google 'mass psychogenic illness'. It's well-documented.

And 'because I said so ' is a cop-out, which doesn't surprise me. You claim something otherworldly exists...prove it.
How could they do this? If they ruled out all natural and psychological causes I doubt that would accomplish it to your, or maybe even my as I don't believe in haunted houses as such, satisfaction. One could say, and with some justice understand, that it remains fallacious to say it's otherworldly just because no natural or worldly explanation is currently sufficient. (Although if all natural explanations were ruled out I might consider it something supernatural even if I'd be leery of categorically saying what)

Old 10-20-2009, 05:14 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
How could they do this? If they ruled out all natural and psychological causes I doubt that would accomplish it to your, or maybe even my as I don't believe in haunted houses as such, satisfaction. One could say, and with some justice understand, that it remains fallacious to say it's otherworldly just because no natural or worldly explanation is currently sufficient. (Although if all natural explanations were ruled out I might consider it something supernatural even if I'd be leery of categorically saying what)
Unless of course they didn't rule out all natural or psychological explanations.

As other people have pointed out, making assumptions based on the personal recollections of an anonymous internet commenter is banal. People's memories are always incredibly inaccurate because our brains inadvertently alters details(usually in a way that makes them more awesome).

Me and my friend both saw an ufo once in the front garden of my house. He immediately assumed it was aliens, told everone he knew, made up and believed wild extra details to disprove natural explanations("it was moving incredibly fast and erratically to be anything from earth") and got into a state where he feels he rationally arrived to the ufo as an answer.

I didn't assume it was aliens and simply asked the next door neighbours about it. Turns out they lit up a chinese lantern that night and after a quick check in youtube; suprise surprise It was the exact object we saw that day.

Of course by the time I showed him the videos and he realized it wasn't supernatural, he had convinced over a dozen people that aliens hovered in front of him and that I was a witness to all of it.

For all I know he went to an online forum during that time, made a thread just like this and had a whole bunch of pages with people divided on the issue. It happens all the time because people love to believe in these things but need a way to rationalize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality