Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,134,696 times

Advertisements

I completely agree with you coolcats and SergeantL....this information does not ring true at all of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Perhaps they are talking about another church that uses the Book of Mormon. I was hoping to enjoy this thread because I thought it would discuss facts. I'm disappointed that is not the case with the LDS view from others.

I'm STILL wondering about the "pagan" symbols mentioned previously.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:23 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,149,934 times
Many people believe that the star of David on the temple is a pentagram.
There is an upside down star with 5 points that many people belief also could be a pentagram but it's not. A pentagram has 6 points. This is just my opinion it is not doctrine but I think the upside down star could possibly signify Lucifer's fall. Lucifer meaning "light bearer"

Old 05-10-2007, 01:26 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,217,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
How obsurd
I wonder if they say that in Jeruselem also

Old 05-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I just have to say, Wildberries may think that happened, but it is in direct contradiction to Church policy and practice, as SeargentL also notes. I use the accounting software on a weekly basis, and there is no such function or practice. There is actually quite an in-depth training, with bi-annual audits of all the finances that I handle. One thing you will find out about the Mormon church, is it is remarkably consistent from location to location, so a claim for something that outrageous makes me incredulous due to my personal experiences.
I couldn't agree more....no one in the LDS Church will ever ask you for proof of income, and that is what your tithe is based upon, by the very definition of the word. As for consistency, it is all the same, everywhere in the world---from the financials right down to the Sunday School lessons and the topic for Sacrament meeting. I invite you all to read the other LDS threads currently running in this forum. They are doing a wonderful job of answering questions in a factual, non-biased manner.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:32 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,528,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
One thing you will find out about the Mormon church, is it is remarkably consistent from location to location, so a claim for something that outrageous makes me incredulous due to my personal experiences.
I need to support Coolcats in this issue. I was polite to Wildberries, because since I have retired, I am trying to shed my old curmudgeon cop bluntness, but I too can’t even remotely reconcile what Wildberries wrote and what I know to be the absolute reality of the Church and its practices.

I will go a little further with what Coolcats wrote regarding consistency, and I will be my normal old curmudgeon cop blunt. The LDS Church is run like a machine. It is very much a Weberian top down centrally controlled organization. Deviation from unit to unit is nearly nonexistent. You can go into any LDS ward in the world and you will find they are all teaching precisely the same lesson on the same day. No one does anything outside of policy, practice, or canon and stays in place for very long.

Think about it. As the PBS special revealed, if you speak out against leadership, policy, procedures, canon, or whatever, you will be excommunicated. As one can see, deviation from the norm IS NOT tolerated.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
There is an upside down star with 5 points that many people belief also could be a pentagram but it's not. A pentagram has 6 points. This is just my opinion it is not doctrine but I think the upside down star could possibly signify Lucifer's fall. Lucifer meaning "light bearer"
LOL...I have to laugh....I know it's not really funny....but that's got to be one of the most outrageous anti- things yet! dreameyes, I'll be back later! keep your chin up!! lol....

Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,149,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
So there is a specific age. Can you tell me what you mean by 'modern day revelations'?
The Doctrine and Covenants we believe were revelations given to Joseph Smith in the early 1800s. There is also one section at the end which I believe was in the early 1900s written by another President of the church. We believe that the President of our church is a living prophet, seer, and revelator today and that through Him we can know God's will.
As an eg. of this our chuch holds a semi-annual general conference in which we are blessed to hear from our presiding Presidency (Prophet of the church and his two counsellors), 12 Apostles, Seventies and other Auxillary presidencies. We believe that we are hearing God's word for His people today.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:38 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,910,454 times
Quote:
The Doctrine and Covenants we believe were revelations given to Joseph Smith in the early 1800s. There is also one section at the end which I believe was in the early 1900s written by another President of the church. We believe that the President of our church is a living prophet, seer, and revelator today and that through Him we can know God's will.
As an eg. of this our chuch holds a semi-annual general conference in which we are blessed to hear from our presiding Presidency (Prophet of the church and his two counsellors), 12 Apostles, Seventies and other Auxillary presidencies. We believe that we are hearing God's word for His people today.
So you think these folks have more access to God than the general member or believer?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:43 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,528,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
So you think these folks have more access to God than the general member or believer?
Nope, we all have equal access; however, the Prophet receives revelation for the Church as a whole. We each have our area of authority. I can receive revelation for my family, or since I am a group leader for a subunit in my ward, I can receive revelation regarding the unit I lead.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:47 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,217,304 times
Quote:
Sorry i think you typed this backwards
Pentagram has 5 points
penta=5
Name:  imagespentagram.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  3.2 KB

Star of David has 6 points two intersecting triangles
What is the difference between LDS and Baptist-images-david.jpg

The Symbol of Mormon
What is the difference between LDS and Baptist-images.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality