Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:32 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,218,023 times

Advertisements

I have to... have to... have to agree with Coolcats on the last part
My husband is Mormon as are my stepchildren we now have a son of our own that is 7 almost the age of accountability he is for lack of any other word non denominational
My husbands family is all VERY devout Mormons My mother in law is one of precious few who get to go to temple often
My BIL was the bishop of his ward until just recently
They have NEVER and I mean NEVER tried to influence me in any way shape or form to "convert" to their religion nor have they pressed the issue about when Kevin (the 7 yr old) will start to go to their church
I do not wish for him to go there but that is a separate thing that is my "problem or issue" I guess I also on the other hand don't want him to go to my church in all fairness
he has asked me just recently when will he get to go to church so I now need to find a church for us to go to together

Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,912,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I’m calling complete bull on this one. I am our ward’s financial clerk, meaning I keep all the financial records. No one, not even myself, knows if someone pays full tithing or not unless they so declare. No bills are ever sent out, let alone with interest. You really need to get your facts accurate before you spread patently false rumors.
Respectfully, coolcats, wildberries is talking about her own father. I don't think she'd lie.

Quote:
Lastly, Mormons do not "cleanse the air" of evil spirits either. There is no such ritual.

In summation, sorry to burst your bubble, but you are spreading patently false information.
Again, it appears wildberries has first hand knowledge. Many churches of my denomination have done and are doing things against our general theology, however, they are still doing them. Could it be that the church wildberries' parents are attending are doing something outside of Mormon doctrine?

I don't think it's appropriate to call her a liar regarding her own personal experiences.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
My husband is Mormon as are my stepchildren we now have a son of our own that is 7 almost the age of accountability he is for lack of any other word non denominational
Have you pinned this 'age of accountablility' down to a specific age? What's it based on? Is this Mormon doctrine?

Just curious....

Old 05-10-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Have you pinned this 'age of accountablility' down to a specific age? What's it based on? Is this Mormon doctrine?

Just curious....
I haven't I am Catholic
Please don't make me misinterpret this
my understanding is somewhere around 8-10 when you are old enough to know what is right and what is wrong and can be accountable for said actions

kinda like a 3 yr old throws a glass of water he isn't accountable for that he didn't know he was doing something unacceptable
ask coolcat she would know much better than I

Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I haven't I am Catholic
Please don't make me misinterpret this
my understanding is somewhere around 8-10 when you are old enough to know what is right and what is wrong and can be accountable for said actions

kinda like a 3 yr old throws a glass of water he isn't accountable for that he didn't know he was doing something unacceptable
ask coolcat she would know much better than I
no no no....I just didn't know if one of these faiths (Cathiolics-Mormons-etc) had pinned it down to a specific age....thanks for clearing it up.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:00 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,528,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Blacks being able to attend church as if God sees color. The haven't changed the dress code not all have the attire to wear to church. Just be glad the individual entered the church. Their prayers have not always ended in In the Name of Jesus Christ!! This is just a few.
Well, the African American male issue regarding the Priesthood was in 1978, not in the last 20 years, and it had nothing to do with color or accommodating society. It was a matter of lineage. Men of equally dark color, who were not of African descent, were allowed to hold the Priesthood. As one example only, black skinned New Guinea native males were ordained to the Priesthood. Next, African American males were never prohibited from membership in the Church.

Many sociologist claim the Church changed its canon regarding African American males to get in line with the Civil Rights Movement. That’s fine, sociologist and psychiatrist argue that religion is a hysterical attempt to understand the universe; however, 1978 was well after the height of the Civil Rights Movement, and the change in canon was received in a revelation. The 1978 Proclamation regarding African American males holding the Priesthood is in line with what Joseph Smith had originally instructed. He stated that the time for African American males to hold the Priesthood would come at a later time. Of course, all of this presupposes one believes in modern revelation.

Next, I don’t know of any change in Church dress standards in the last 40 years. It's still a suit and tie for the men and modest dresses for the women; however, we don’t throw anyone out because they don’t conform to the accepted norm. The dress standard is not canon.

Finally, my history with the Church goes back eons, and I have never known a time that we didn’t end prayers in the name of Jesus Christ.

Quote:
My dad was sick and he was 80 we thought it was it. He did pull through and wasn't able to pay tithing for 3 months he got a BILL in the mail, with interest tacked on to the bill. Tithing is something we give out of our love for the word of God not demanded by the church..
Your dad received a bill for tithing plus interest? Wow, this should have been reported to Church Athorities. Like I said, my membership goes back eons and I have never heard of such an outrageous event. We don't send bills. I have been a Ward Clerk and Financial Clerk, and I know there is no such accounting system in the Church for such an event to take place. Are you sure we are both talking about the LDS Church with headquarters in Utah?

Quote:
Both of my parents worked all the time for the church and gave way over their time and all because "GOOD WORKS" gets you to Heaven don't you know they failed to express it was the acceptance of Jesus Christ. They talked more about the CHURCH then the LOVE of JESUS and how much the CHURCH needed them. Well, when it came time for my parents to get help I couldn't believe how inconvenient it was for the people in the church to help them. After all most of the ones in their 40's and 50's my parents helped their parents!!!
My mom was born and raised Mormon my step dad was Southern Baptist until the elders of the church got a hold of him and then, we were all cults but the Mormon Church!! They could tell me more about the Book of Mormon then they could about the Bible. My dad came late into the faith so he was following what they told him to do and still to this day he is not 100%sure he is going to HEAVEN.
Every time he questioned the church my mom would tell someone and before you know it they were their cleansing evil spirits out of the air around him!!

Just so you know I have no hate, but I do question the teachings and the true family bonding they so promote in their faith!!!
Yes, my wife and I are very busy with the Church. Because some folks are so needy--some legitimately and some because they are lazy-- they can just suck you dry. I do not depend on others in the Church. My first principle of survival, which is a primary principle of the Church, is to be self sufficient.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,743,492 times
Quote:

Just curious....
Age of accountability is specified at 8. It is specified in our Doctrine and Covenants, which are modern day revelations specifying many of the logistical operations of the Church.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:06 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,743,492 times
Quote:
Respectfully, coolcats, wildberries is talking about her own father. I don't think she'd lie.

Again, it appears wildberries has first hand knowledge. Many churches of my denomination have done and are doing things against our general theology, however, they are still doing them. Could it be that the church wildberries' parents are attending are doing something outside of Mormon doctrine?

I don't think it's appropriate to call her a liar regarding her own personal experiences.
I just have to say, Wildberries may think that happened, but it is in direct contradiction to Church policy and practice, as SeargentL also notes. I use the accounting software on a weekly basis, and there is no such function or practice. There is actually quite an in-depth training, with bi-annual audits of all the finances that I handle. One thing you will find out about the Mormon church, is it is remarkably consistent from location to location, so a claim for something that outrageous makes me incredulous due to my personal experiences.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Age of accountability is specified at 8. It is specified in our Doctrine and Covenants, which are modern day revelations specifying many of the logistical operations of the Church.
I kinda knew the coolcats but didn't want to be wrong so I said 8-10 for a little elbow room lol

Old 05-10-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
So there is a specific age. Can you tell me what you mean by 'modern day revelations'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality