Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM

79 posts, read 99,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Where do you get your understanding? Ask you father-in-law. He'd know.
Ugh. I meant "above a 70"

My father in law wouldn't know.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times
Ok so does all this fluff talk about ministry getting paid or not have anything to do with the OP? I mean really what does it matter? Does the fact that they are paid or not have anything to do with their spirituality?

Old 06-10-2016, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 718 times
According to the Bible. The only thing a preacher should receive is what is directly needed for him to live. It should be a meager amount and the preacher should not care about the things of this world. He should be willing to give everything he has away to anyone who is in need.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:53 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daultman3 View Post
According to the Bible. The only thing a preacher should receive is what is directly needed for him to live. It should be a meager amount and the preacher should not care about the things of this world. He should be willing to give everything he has away to anyone who is in need.
Proof text, please? Can you give a text that defines "what is directly needed for him to live"? Does that mean that he should have clothes to wear? How about things like a car? I'm not suggesting he get a Mercedes...but does he get an old jalopy with 190k miles? Or does it need 290k? Or does he just have to buy one himself from some other outside income? Should he be able to expect to take care of his wife and kids?

Again...chapter and text please for anything you give, since you started with "according to the Bible".

Old 10-04-2016, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandean View Post
One thing that has always been interesting to me is how Mormons say on one hand that they are Christian "too", but on the other hand that they are the only "true" Christians. Which is it? Are they ALSO Christian, or are they the ONLY Christians?
Mormons believe that they are the only true Christian faith. Sure, other churches may have other truths to them, but they don't have the whole restored gospel like Mormonism does. Though, that doesn't make other Christian churches any less Christian.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 515 times
First off, if you carolinajack are implying that Mormonism is a cult, you are sadly mistaken. Most Mormons that I've met don't mind if you are a different religion, but as with any other religion, there are some "radicals," or extremists that tend to take things too far. If you were referring to the Baptist Church (which I find unlikely because alot of outsiders to The Church believe it to be more like a "cult") then my apologies. And to answer your question briandean Christian means that you believe in Christ. Any religion that believes that Jesus Christ is real is a form of Christianity. There are alot of forms of Christianity such as Baptists, Catholics, Mormons, etc. That being said, Mormons believe that the are also Christians, but they believe that they are the only true church. Baptist is supposedly the closest religion to Mormonism, but they are "missing" some of the other crucial information. I myself am LDS, but only one side of my family is. My mom's side is LDS. My dad's side is Roman Catholic. My stepdad's side is some form of Christianity (I don't know exactly what). My stepmom's side believes in God and Jesus, but don't necessarily follow a specific religion. All of my family is a different form of Christianity. Point being, they are Christians as well as other religions. They only believe that they have other information that other churches have yet to be provided with. Also, urbanlemur I am sorry to hear that you no longer practice Mormonism, and that you believe that the church is wrong. I am happy to hear that you have found a religion that suits you. Best wishes to all! **Disclaimer: This message was not meant to be offensive in any way, shape, or form. Please disregard it if it has affected you negatively.**

Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovefall View Post
Could someone tell me what the major differences between the LDS and Baptist religions?
Mormons have multiple wives. Baptists have multiple affairs.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:04 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Lol, they are like chalk and cheese.
The differences between Christian denominations would have to be the most extreme of any religion.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 414 times
LDS has a bishop and a president while Baptists have a preacher

Old 02-21-2018, 06:26 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
they are two different religions, one is a christian sect, one is a cult
This kind of remark is why this thread is closed. I'm not going to go back and edit an thread with over 250 replies that were made over 10 years ago. Sometime in the past 10 years, we evolved enough to quit calling churches "cults."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality