Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:32 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,190,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
That could be a slippery slope. A lot of misinformation, intentional and unintentional is out there.
Your right and unfortunately most don't even realize the old ways of the Mormons beliefs and how they have changed their beliefs to fit people in the last 20 years. I would say if this is your belief then stick to it don't change because others find fault.
I believe Mormons are Christian but their teachings are some I have questioned and have seen personally what they have done to my parents. Some of the things my mom and dad believed where from the church teachings not something they dug up their selves!!
This put a HUGE wedge between them and the children that didn't except Mormonism for their religion!!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I am quite familiar will all aspects of the Temple and no I don't go looking outside of talking with my husband because usually other literature outside of the church has a negative slant on it. I did when I first joined the church get into reading a little anti stuff and it disturbed me. I talked to my husband who is very knowledgeable about things pertaining to the church and he explained everything to me and will explain any of my concerns or questions.
I am glad that you were able to find comfort in their beliefs. As for me I questioned and still do any organized religion. They have all put a little pagan into the mixture and this is a bad sign as far as I am concerned.

I have also, asked questions from Mormons and others outside of the faith and pagan symbols are hard to explain away. Just so you know most ALL my family is Mormon, so I do have a little inside info and I find one of them yet to question any of the teachings for fear of being told that "Satan was putting them up to questioning the CHURCH"!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,144,748 times
Well I question things all the time to my husband and he is more than happy to answer any of my questions and calm any of my concerns. I'm sorry that you found people unwilling to do that.
God Bles you!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:57 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Your right and unfortunately most don't even realize the old ways of the Mormons beliefs and how they have changed their beliefs to fit people in the last 20 years.
What beliefs have changed in the last 20 years??? Other than our meeting schedules and how we fund all Church activities, I know of no changes of the kind to which you refer.

Quote:
I believe Mormons are Christian but their teachings are some I have questioned and have seen personally what they have done to my parents. Some of the things my mom and dad believed where from the church teachings not something they dug up their selves!!
This put a HUGE wedge between them and the children that didn't except Mormonism for their religion!!
What has happened to your parents? Do you all fight? Have your parents quit talking to you? I will say that our faith can divide families. My wife's parents were angry when she joined the Church. Tithing put a dent in our budget. To accomodate our new financial reality, my wife had to limit her trips to visit her parents. They lived in Hawaii. They argued that if we hadn't joined "that damned church," they would have been able to see their daughter more. There were other minor irritations, but I wouldn't call any of them a HUGE wedge. What happened in your family??

Last edited by SergeantL; 05-10-2007 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-10-2007, 11:20 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,925 times
I have a question that just came to me as I was sitting here. Keep in mind that this is strictly a hypothetical question so please people, don't go off on the deep end stating that I am suggesting anything is going to happen.

Where you be and what would you do if your church one day in the near future collapsed and no longer was in existence? As for myself, I go to my church to hear God's Word preached and to worship Him in fellowship with others. It is a very important part of my life. That being said, my personal relationship with Jesus as my Savior is why I am here today and because of that, I do not put my reliance and full trust on my church or the people. It is only with Jesus that I do so although I love the people I worship with very much as well as others.

I would like to hear from christians and mormons regarding this, particularly mormons because I know how much they regard their leaders and doctrines. And remember, this is simply a question out of curiosity to get an idea how folks feel.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Well I question things all the time to my husband and he is more than happy to answer any of my questions and calm any of my concerns. I'm sorry that you found people unwilling to do that.
God Bles you!
They have answered I guess I have just choosen to research more. I have some very deep issues that have more to do with family and Church rather then family and God!!

Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I have a question that just came to me as I was sitting here. Keep in mind that this is strictly a hypothetical question so please people, don't go off on the deep end stating that I am suggesting anything is going to happen.

Where you be and what would you do if your church one day in the near future collapsed and no longer was in existence? As for myself, I go to my church to hear God's Word preached and to worship Him in fellowship with others. It is a very important part of my life. That being said, my personal relationship with Jesus as my Savior is why I am here today and because of that, I do not put my reliance and full trust on my church or the people. It is only with Jesus that I do so although I love the people I worship with very much as well as others.

I would like to hear from christians and mormons regarding this, particularly mormons because I know how much they regard their leaders and doctrines. And remember, this is simply a question out of curiosity to get an idea how folks feel.
Collapse is hard to define. Do you mean property and holdings, or do you mean some obvious irrefutable proof that a church’s doctrines were completely false?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:44 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,925 times
Sorry about that....yes, a church's doctrines were false. Thanks for catching that.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
What beliefs have changed in the last 20 years??? Other than our meeting schedules and how we fund all Church activities, I know of no changes of the kind to which you refer.
Blacks being able to attend church as if God sees color. The haven't changed the dress code not all have the attire to wear to church. Just be glad the individual entered the church. Their prayers have not always ended in In the Name of Jesus Christ!! This is just a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
What has happened to your parents? Do you all fight? Have your parents quit talking to you? I will say that our faith can divide families. My wifes parents were angry when she joined the Church. Tithing put a dent in our budget. To accommodate our new financial reality, my wife had to limit her trips to visit her parents. They lived in Hawaii. They argued that if we hadn't joined "that damned church," they would have been able to see their daughter more. There were other minor irritations, but I wouldn't call any of them a HUGE wedge. What happened in your family??
No my parents didn't fight they just chose the church over their children when we left home and it became their family and those of us that weren't Mormon they were instructed that we needed to be prayed for to get to Heaven with them.
My dad was sick and he was 80 we thought it was it. He did pull through and wasn't able to pay tithing for 3 months he got a BILL in the mail, with interest tacked on to the bill. Tithing is something we give out of our love for the word of God not demanded by the church.
Both of my parents worked all the time for the church and gave way over their time and all because "GOOD WORKS" gets you to Heaven don't you know they failed to express it was the acceptance of Jesus Christ. They talked more about the CHURCH then the LOVE of JESUS and how much the CHURCH needed them. Well, when it came time for my parents to get help I couldn't believe how inconvenient it was for the people in the church to help them. After all most of the ones in their 40's and 50's my parents helped their parents!!!
My mom was born and raised Mormon my step dad was Southern Baptist until the elders of the church got a hold of him and then, we were all cults but the Mormon Church!! They could tell me more about the Book of Mormon then they could about the Bible. My dad came late into the faith so he was following what they told him to do and still to this day he is not 100%sure he is going to HEAVEN.
Every time he questioned the church my mom would tell someone and before you know it they were their cleansing evil spirits out of the air around him!!

Just so you know I have no hate, but I do question the teachings and the true family bonding they so promote in their faith!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,734,617 times
Quote:
Blacks being able to attend church as if God sees color. The haven't changed the dress code not all have the attire to wear to church. Just be glad the individual entered the church. Their prayers have not always ended in In the Name of Jesus Christ!! This is just a few.
Blacks have always been able to attend church. The LDS church was quite progressive in the 1840s with regard to Blacks being members. That led to a fair amount of tension in Missouri since the state was a slave state and the Mormons were abolitionists. It was the Priesthood they were not allowed to hold. Prayers have always ended in the name of Christ.

Quote:
My dad was sick and he was 80 we thought it was it. He did pull through and wasn't able to pay tithing for 3 months he got a BILL in the mail, with interest tacked on to the bill. Tithing is something we give out of our love for the word of God not demanded by the church. (
I’m calling complete bull on this one. I am our ward’s financial clerk, meaning I keep all the financial records. No one, not even myself, knows if someone pays full tithing or not unless they so declare. No bills are ever sent out, let alone with interest. You really need to get your facts accurate before you spread patently false rumors.

Quote:
My mom was born and raised Mormon my step dad was Southern Baptist until the elders of the church got a hold of him and then, we were all cults but the Mormon Church!! They could tell me more about the Book of Mormon then they could about the Bible. My dad came late into the faith so he was following what they told him to do and still to this day he is not 100%sure he is going to HEAVEN.
Every time he questioned the church my mom would tell someone and before you know it they were their cleansing evil spirits out of the air around him!!

Just so you know I have no hate, but I do question the teachings and the true family bonding they so promote in their faith!!!
I’m also calling bull on this one as well. I have never heard Mormons refer to other religions as cults. It just is not done. Our 11th Article of Faith states:
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.:
Lastly, Mormons do not "cleanse the air" of evil spirits either. There is no such ritual.

In summation, sorry to burst your bubble, but you are spreading patently false information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.