Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM

112 posts, read 128,009 times

Advertisements

As many Christians believe, God created the world in 7 days. Being that this higher being is all knowing, why didn't he create the world better suited for humans? Approximately 71% of Earth is covered with water, only 3% is usable to humans, the rest is salt water that cannot be consumed and block continents from connecting (giving Noah a hard time, assuming he existed). Much of the remaining land is also infertile or uninhabitable to humans (desert, high mountains, etc.). Thus Earth isn't well suited for humans, nor the Universe. If we are to ever colonize another Earth-like planet, the closest star is over 4 light years away, again assuming if the planets there are capable of sustaining life, or if we can even reach light speed. In all, why would he give us such limited resources and even tougher circumstances to get more? It certainly doesn't sound like intelligent design to me. Feel free to share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM

433 posts, read 964,388 times
Well,
here are a couple of other questions as well....

Why 7? why not create it in a split second if you're Jebus? why break it down into 24 hour segments? why rest on the 7th day? was he tired? why? isn't he all powerful? what is it about his metabolism that makes him tired!?

also, was it 7 earth days? cause as 'some' of us know, the duration of 'days' vary from planet to planet and star to star. why did he have to limit himself to 24 hours for 'a day'? why not pick a planetary day duration that has maybe 168 hours in each day...that way he could have created the world in one day!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM

439 posts, read 443,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
Much of the remaining land is also infertile or uninhabitable to humans (desert, high mountains, etc.).
I can imagine if the entire planet was paved over and looked like lower Manhattan, crawling with people, you'd complain about that too. I personally like mountains the way they are. What's wrong with having scenic wilderness? Do you think it's of no benefit just because it can't be farmed or built over? That's a pretty limited view you've got there. Haven't you got any appreciation for art and beauty?

Old 07-21-2009, 01:50 PM

433 posts, read 964,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
I can imagine if the entire planet was paved over and looked like lower Manhattan, crawling with people, you'd complain about that too. I personally like mountains the way they are. What's wrong with having scenic wilderness? Do you think it's of no benefit just because it can't be farmed or built over? That's a pretty limited view you've got there. Haven't you got any appreciation for art and beauty?
no! what you fail to understand is the OP's claim is that religious folks believe that the world and everything in it revolves around the human's creation. therefore, it would only make sense that EVERYTHING on earth would/should be designed for the well-being/ benefit of humans!
(keep in mind aside from unhabitable areas of the world, that there are parasites and different diseasses that are counter-intuitive to the idea of 'creation'!!!)

Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 PM

112 posts, read 128,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
I personally like mountains the way they are. What's wrong with having scenic wilderness? Do you think it's of no benefit just because it can't be farmed or built over? That's a pretty limited view you've got there. Haven't you got any appreciation for art and beauty?
Sorry bud, I'd rather have starving people fed than scenic wilderness, even though I enjoy it. Which is more beneficial to humanity- Scenic wilderness or ending starvation? Plus, we'll be needing a lot more farmland to make biofuels considering all the easily accessible oil God made is running out and God isn't making anymore. Well actually, why doesn't God or Jesus just come down and magically create food and clothing for everyone and save us the trouble? What an intelligent and caring God we have.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
....... Feel free to share your thoughts.
There are no creators deityies.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,523 times
First, I believe even humanists/secularists/evolutionists would agree that the universe and our place in it is finely tuned to enable our existence at all.

Second, you're looking at today's world thinking this is what it looked like back at the moment of creation. I don't believe the world we live in remotely resembles the paradise God had initally created for all the living creatures placed to live here. The world was created to support all types of life. Humans are God's special creation, therefore the emphasis is on us.

Why did God create in 6 days and rest on the 7th? Because it was a model for us to follow. Could he have created in an instant? I believe he could have. Were the days literal, approximately 24-hour Earth days? Yes, because that is the time frame we inhabit, that is our frame of reference. How could we understand, especially ~6,000 years ago, the length of a Martian day or a day on Mercury? His special revelation to us describes how he created to set the pattern for us... work 6 days and rest on the 7th, to give thanks to God for all we have and to enjoy the fruits of our labor.

As for the original creation, before it was destroyed by the global flood during Noah's time, we have no real idea how splendid it truly was. Food was plentiful and abundant. There was water and rivers available for drinking. It was paradise. I also believe there was one supercontinent prior to the flood, as the bible refers to the dry ground as "land" not "lands". However, the flood was God's punishment on the wicked and that flood and all that occurred with it scarred and changed this planet forever. That's when I believe the continents separated and the development of deserts and the ultra-high mountain ranges (Andes/Alps/Himalayians). What we see today are the effects of the flood and sin on the world and the curse God put upon the whole of creation due to mankind's rebelling against him.

However, the good news is that Christ will return and there will be a new heaven and a new earth and all will be restored to the paradise it once was. That will occur on God's time, not ours. Until then, we were made stewards of this planet and all its resources. It is up to us to use them to our utmost advantage, make the most of everything we've been provided and make them last... conserve, recycle, etc. ... while caring for the creation entrusted to us.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
The flaws and imperfections have allowed us to learn, grow, and yes progress. Think of all the things we've learned by trying to live in tropical deserts or arctic lands. Or by treating the sick and people, like me, who are disabled.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:18 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I also believe there was one supercontinent prior to the flood, as the bible refers to the dry ground as "land" not "lands". However, the flood was God's punishment on the wicked and that flood and all that occurred with it scarred and changed this planet forever. That's when I believe the continents separated and the development of deserts and the ultra-high mountain ranges (Andes/Alps/Himalayians). What we see today are the effects of the flood and sin on the world and the curse God put upon the whole of creation due to mankind's rebelling against him.
Of course, reality shows us that the continents and mountains arose and separated millions of years ago, and that there never was a global flood.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Everything works perfectly to God's plan. We are the ones who see it as imperfect and made it that way.

We are destroying the earth and we have made it what it is today. We are the ones who have to bring it back to what it once was.

The earth is very overpopulated and if we had done everything right to begin with, it would look a lot different than it does now. We erred, we have to fix it. We have to stop blaming God for every little thing that doesn't go to our liking. God is perfect. His laws are perfect. His creations are perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality