Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,800,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think you are a captive of your beliefs. Why do you follow God? For you there are only two choices. Follow and reap the reward of heaven. Reject God and face eternal suffering. To me that sounds a bit like the choices people in the old Russian gulags faced....Conform or be tortured. Where is the free will in that?

Why do I follow God? That's a rather personal question, don't you think? Those are the two ultimate destinations; however, there is more...so much more as to why I follow God. It's not just fire insurance as some would believe. There's too much to go into here and this is not the thread for it. I'm not a captive of anything but a willing servant to the Almighty God. Take that however you wish and have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,616,441 times
God is deemed the creator who has greater knowledge than any creation. I believe there is something greater than beings on a small planet in a vast cosmos. I believe there is "Objective Truth" and that purely human efforts alone can't reach it. Jesus experienced the glory and suffering of being human so brings something one can relate to. God loves us and wants us to love each other.

I follow God for reasons like that. Fear of Hell has never been the main motivator for me contra Atheists or anti-Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality