Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,557,336 times

Advertisements

"he created the universe for me" this is an antromorphic god. we reinvent him to look like us, you know like we expect everything to orbit around us.
me me me me me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,798,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do you know what your problem is? No I thought not. The problem is that you state what you believe as fact. It is not fact except in your own mind. It is only what you believe...Facts are backed up by evidence, and you have none. People that do this always irritate others, so I don't know why you are surprised at the responses you get.
Right back at ya !

Pardon me for not putting IMO or POV or "I believe" in front of every statement I make. If this is the criteria, please do the same.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:00 PM

33,581 posts, read 37,215,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Right back at ya !

Pardon me for not putting IMO or POV or "I believe" in front of every statement I make. If this is the criteria, please do the same.
I generally do when when I am expressing my beliefs only.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 PM

112 posts, read 128,133 times
Quote:
Yes, people die every day for a variety of reasons. That is very unfortunate. It is my belief death was introduced into the world because of sin and sin entered the world because of man rebelling against his creator.
Oh yes that's right- Adam and Eve defied God's word by eating the forbidden fruit, now God is so infuriated he punishes/ignores mankind because the actions of two people. Lovely. Even if you don't believe in this part of the Bible, ask yourself this- would God be considered a good politician? If you have any sense, you should be able to realize politicians don't do well in elections when they ignore problems and punish those who oppose them, to say the least.
You can state you don't understand God because he is mysterious/complicated, but in the end I don't see how such extreme non-interventionism does any good at all.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
Oh yes that's right- Adam and Eve defied God's word by eating the forbidden fruit, now God is so infuriated he punishes/ignores mankind because the actions of two people. Lovely. Even if you don't believe in this part of the Bible, ask yourself this- would God be considered a good politician? If you have any sense, you should be able to realize politicians don't do well in elections when they ignore problems and punish those who oppose them, to say the least.
You can state you don't understand God because he is mysterious/complicated, but in the end I don't see how such extreme non-interventionism does any good at all.

Where you see non-intervention, I see intervention in many, many ways. He doesn't ignore us. 'IMO', God loves us so much that he basically is granting what people want. If they want to go it alone, without Him, God loves them enough to say, okay.. have it your way.

Yes, 'I believe' Adam and Eve may have started the ball rolling, but 'I believe' every single person has done enough on their own to merit punishment in their own right. I don't believe God sits on high and says "I think I'll harass mams1559 today". I don't believe it works that way.

"I believe" we are in a state of accumulated turmoil and strife. What may have once been minor issues have now snowballed into huge problems that we in today's world must now deal with. Kind of like telling a lie... start with one, then another to cover the first and more and more until who knows what was at the beginning of it all.

"I believe" God intervenes more than you or I realize. Just because it's not 'in-your-face' obvious doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,598,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
[/indent]nahh...he's not your creator. he's just a made up invisible father figure that is necessary for YOU 'not to' kill/rape/steal. The rest of us don't need a God not to do those things!
Yeah because people inspired by God never do things like march for Civil Rights, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, care for children with cancer, etc. Things like "Southern Christian Leadership Conference", "The Salvation Army", "Caritas", "St. Jude's Hospital", "World Vision", etc are all figments of our imagination. Nope all that's real is a bunch of things that mostly happened centuries ago rather than stuff happening today to the world's poorest people. Oh and "belief in God" of course means a narrow Fundamentalist religion. People like the Baha'i, Mennonites, Moravians, or Carthusian Order don't actually exist or believe in God.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,429,547 times
Quote:
God is perfect. Humans have made the world the way it is. I stand by those two statements.

Yes, people die every day for a variety of reasons. That is very unfortunate. It is my belief death was introduced into the world because of sin and sin entered the world because of man rebelling against his creator. Until Jesus comes again, this is the reality we face. God promises believers He will be with us, to get us through trials and struggles and tribulations while we're here. This is not our permanent home. This is just where we spend our lives until we go home to glory.

We cannot fully comprehend God's ways, as they are so much higher than us. Who is good? Who is innocent? By what standards do we apply the terms "good" and "innocent" to any one or any thing? IMO the ultimate standard is God and we all fall short of that standard.

Why is there suffering? Because this world is broken and full of sin. Yes, God allows it to happen. Why? I can't answer that, only He can. But suffering happens to the believer and non-believer the same. Just because we believe doesn't mean we'll be spared pain and suffering or death or that our lives will be a rose garden all the time. I trust that all things will work for His glory in the end. We won't fully understand on this side of eternity why God allows bad things to happen. I do believe they happen for a reason. I believe God can see time from the beginning to the end all at once so what doesn't seem right or fair from our limited perspective may have greater implications that we can ever know.

I also trust God will keep His word and there will be a day with no more tears, no more pain or suffering or death.
in response to the above bold "free will" that is why it is allowed to happen.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM

433 posts, read 965,289 times
Quote:
Where you see non-intervention, I see intervention in many, many ways. He doesn't ignore us. 'IMO', God loves us so much that he basically is granting what people want. If they want to go it alone, without Him, God loves them enough to say, okay.. have it your way.

OH REAAAAAALLY?

"have it your way"? is that what God says?
then how come he also 'says' if you don't follow ME, you'll burn in a firey lake??? that's not so much "have it your way", now is it?

GET REAL!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
OH REAAAAAALLY?

"have it your way"? is that what God says?
then how come he also 'says' if you don't follow ME, you'll burn in a firey lake??? that's not so much "have it your way", now is it?

GET REAL!
I'm quite real. I think you're missing the bigger picture here.

Yes, God says "follow me" and tells us what is expected of us if we do follow. Yes, God also tells us the consequences of not following Him. It is my firm belief that in the end, God's love will not force itself upon someone who doesn't want it. You cannot force or compel someone to love you. So, IMO, yes, He loves you enough to allow you to reject Him. If one decides during this life that they want no part of God, then why would He compel them to spend eternity with Him?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:07 PM

33,581 posts, read 37,215,319 times
Quote:
I'm quite real. I think you're missing the bigger picture here.

Yes, God says "follow me" and tells us what is expected of us if we do follow. Yes, God also tells us the consequences of not following Him. It is my firm belief that in the end, God's love will not force itself upon someone who doesn't want it. You cannot force or compel someone to love you. So, IMO, yes, He loves you enough to allow you to reject Him. If one decides during this life that they want no part of God, then why would He compel them to spend eternity with Him?
I think you are a captive of your beliefs. Why do you follow God? For you there are only two choices. Follow and reap the reward of heaven. Reject God and face eternal suffering. To me that sounds a bit like the choices people in the old Russian gulags faced....Conform or be tortured. Where is the free will in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality