Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,803,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Of course, reality shows us that the continents and mountains arose and separated millions of years ago, and that there never was a global flood.
Depends on whose 'reality' you believe... man's or God's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 07:30 AM

33,631 posts, read 37,285,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
The word God and reality have nothing to do with each other.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 AM

God has everything to do with our reality. God is not just a word, He is our Creator.
Romans 1:19-20; 25 (NIV) ...19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 AM

433 posts, read 966,478 times
Quote:
God has everything to do with our reality. God is not just a word, He is our Creator.
nahh...he's not your creator. he's just a made up invisible father figure that is necessary for YOU 'not to' kill/rape/steal. The rest of us don't need a God not to do those things!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:59 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,804,447 times
Quote:
You mean TRUE reality, or your man-made God and your fantasy world reality.

There's only one reality and we're in it.. and it says the earth is millions of years old and no global flood every occurred.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:01 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,804,447 times
Quote:
Romans 1:19-20; 25 (NIV) ...19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised.
Fundie has been pwned.. now que the irrelevant Bible quotations.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:15 PM

112 posts, read 128,258 times
I'd like to ask the Christians to come up with better arguments than "God is perfect" or "Humans made the world the way it is." We can assume God wants to make life more difficult on us for in order to learn, but why must so many people suffer for the consequences? Fact- innocent and decent people die every day from starvation, disease, etc. "Fact" (Sentiment in an atheist's eyes)- God is perfect. I see a noticable contradiction between one fact and the other "fact." Suffering is perfect? Really?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
[/indent]nahh...he's not your creator. he's just a made up invisible father figure that is necessary for YOU 'not to' kill/rape/steal. The rest of us don't need a God not to do those things!
Quote:
You mean TRUE reality, or your man-made God and your fantasy world reality.

There's only one reality and we're in it.. and it says the earth is millions of years old and no global flood every occurred.
Quote:
Fundie has been pwned.. now que the irrelevant Bible quotations.
Wow, such intolerance from self-proclaimed tolerant people. I'm not forcing anything upon anyone. I'm simply answering a question from my POV and look at how well it's received.

Imposing your presuppositions upon me, by claiming the God of the bible is man-made fantasy, is no way to conduct a discussion. Those are simply your points of view which differ from mine. Throwing around such baseless claims that "I" need God to tell me what not to do shows how much you don't know or understand me at all or my faith and belief. As far as "you" just simply knowing what not to do without God means you're also without a clue as to where your morals/ethics come from, whether you acknowledge it or not.

I'm only owned by one person, that's Jesus . No one else owns me, and in no way is your minor argument sufficient to "own" me, i.e. take me to task/prove me wrong or in error. What kind of slang is that any way?? My 15 yr old talks that way. How mature.

As for me being wrong about the age of the earth and global flood, I'd suggest you read up on it ... from my POV. I have sound and reasonable answers that explain why millions of years is not necessary and how unreliable the many dating methods are. But that's another thread.

If you'd do some research on my postings, you'd know where I'm coming from. Oh, but that's right ... because I believe in God and believe in the bible, I can't possibly be intelligent or sane . For all your (plural) claims of tolerance and respect for others you (plural) can't tolerate my point of view because it's different from yours and I don't bow to the god of public opinion.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 PM

33,631 posts, read 37,285,529 times
Quote:
Wow, such intolerance from self-proclaimed tolerant people. I'm not forcing anything upon anyone. I'm simply answering a question from my POV and look at how well it's received.

Imposing your presuppositions upon me, by claiming the God of the bible is man-made fantasy, is no way to conduct a discussion. Those are simply your points of view which differ from mine. Throwing around such baseless claims that "I" need God to tell me what not to do shows how much you don't know or understand me at all or my faith and belief. As far as "you" just simply knowing what not to do without God means you're also without a clue as to where your morals/ethics come from, whether you acknowledge it or not.

I'm only owned by one person, that's Jesus . No one else owns me, and in no way is your minor argument sufficient to "own" me, i.e. take me to task/prove me wrong or in error. What kind of slang is that any way?? My 15 yr old talks that way. How mature.

As for me being wrong about the age of the earth and global flood, I'd suggest you read up on it ... from my POV. I have sound and reasonable answers that explain why millions of years is not necessary and how unreliable the many dating methods are. But that's another thread.

If you'd do some research on my postings, you'd know where I'm coming from. Oh, but that's right ... because I believe in God and believe in the bible, I can't possibly be intelligent or sane . For all your (plural) claims of tolerance and respect for others you (plural) can't tolerate my point of view because it's different from yours and I don't bow to the god of public opinion.
Do you know what your problem is? No I thought not. The problem is that you state what you believe as fact. It is not fact except in your own mind. It is only what you believe...Facts are backed up by evidence, and you have none. People that do this always irritate others, so I don't know why you are surprised at the responses you get.

In my opinion God did not create the earth, not for man or any other reason. If the earth and universe are erratic, then that is just the way it is....Nothing in the universe is static. It, like everything else is evolving. New stars are being born and old ones continue to die...That is the way it has always been and likely how it will always be.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
I'd like to ask the Christians to come up with better arguments than "God is perfect" or "Humans made the world the way it is." We can assume God wants to make life more difficult on us for in order to learn, but why must so many people suffer for the consequences? Fact- innocent and decent people die every day from starvation, disease, etc. "Fact" (Sentiment in an atheist's eyes)- God is perfect. I see a noticable contradiction between one fact and the other "fact." Suffering is perfect? Really?
God is perfect. Humans have made the world the way it is. I stand by those two statements.

Yes, people die every day for a variety of reasons. That is very unfortunate. It is my belief death was introduced into the world because of sin and sin entered the world because of man rebelling against his creator. Until Jesus comes again, this is the reality we face. God promises believers He will be with us, to get us through trials and struggles and tribulations while we're here. This is not our permanent home. This is just where we spend our lives until we go home to glory.

We cannot fully comprehend God's ways, as they are so much higher than us. Who is good? Who is innocent? By what standards do we apply the terms "good" and "innocent" to any one or any thing? IMO the ultimate standard is God and we all fall short of that standard.

Why is there suffering? Because this world is broken and full of sin. Yes, God allows it to happen. Why? I can't answer that, only He can. But suffering happens to the believer and non-believer the same. Just because we believe doesn't mean we'll be spared pain and suffering or death or that our lives will be a rose garden all the time. I trust that all things will work for His glory in the end. We won't fully understand on this side of eternity why God allows bad things to happen. I do believe they happen for a reason. I believe God can see time from the beginning to the end all at once so what doesn't seem right or fair from our limited perspective may have greater implications that we can ever know.

I also trust God will keep His word and there will be a day with no more tears, no more pain or suffering or death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality