Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:14 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Thanks LongHornGuy86, for this confirming post!

Usually these kinds of tirades and negative attacks come from a few Christians here and it's nice to see closed-mindedness and intolerance stands on both sides of religion.

I also appreciate you bringing to light the amount of opposition to the homosexual lifestyle in the Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, and Sikhism communities, I wasn't aware of that.

There are many atheists and agnostics here that enter threads with an earnest desire to converse. A few, very few, that like to use big words and long sentences to tell the religious "You're full of crap." But it's a small minority, and their lack of respect upsets me too.

There are also a few professing Christians here whose tactics are less than Christlike when they approach various issues. But it's a small minority, and their lack of respect upsets me too.

But most of us want to conversate peacefully and have open, honest discourse. The flames you are fanning are anything but the flames of peace.

Everyone is entitled to thier opinions and lifestyles, I would think you of all people could appreciate that.

Hey!! I got my first negative rep points for this post and one simple word as an explanation "ignorant"...hmmm...I can't imagine who would do that...

[Legitimate] CD members, are you supposed to do something if someone does this to you simply because you don't agree?

Or, if I deserved it, can someone point out my 'ignorance' for me?

Thanks all!

Last edited by Alpha8207; 04-20-2007 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-20-2007, 08:31 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I don't know if you want a serious answer to your question LongHorn or if you just want to attack Christians but here goes...

I think most(if not all) religious people know somewhere deep in their psyche that their beliefs are total bunk. So it does little good for skeptics to point this out. They must believe for some other reason. There must be something that religion gives person or people would not embrace such ridiculous fairy tales. There must be an evolutionary advantage to faith.

Some possibilities might include: A strong sense of community with other believers encourages altruistic behavior and resource sharing. A belief in an afterlife could encourage believers to take greater risk and therefore reap greater rewards. A religious hierarchy could lead more efficient use of labor and resources. A beleif in divine justice could help maintain civil order.

These are just some ideas, I am sure we could think of some more.

I am wondering if it isnt because the thought of a heaven after you die is better than the thought of just being dead in the ground, with nothing following, just dead.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:54 AM

192 posts, read 864,719 times
Quote:
if you examine it closely, you'll see that Christianity is nothing more than a combination of the practices, traditions, and beliefs of other religions. Namely, Paganism, Buddhism, Greek mythology, and Judaism.
I'd like to add another religious belief to that list. Christianity was not, as most people believe, the first religion to worship a "sole god". The first instance of an organized religion worshipping a sole god was in ancient Egypt -- the 18th Dynasty, to be exact, which was about 1000 BC. The Pharaoh Amonhotep IV overturned the existing religious system, changed his name to Akhenaten, and established a system of his own invention which was a belief in ONE GOD, the "Aten", whose manifestation was the Sun as "the creator of all things". The religion of the Aten was based on love (sound familiar?), nature and "living in truth", but at the same time, worship of other gods was no longer tolerated (sound familiar?). The beautiful Queen Nefertiti was Akhenaten's wife, by the way.

Akhenaten was eventually assassinated by those who recognized that his religion of Love and Light would culminate in the total destruction of the existing (multi-god) political/religious framework of power, and great effort was expended to destroy any references to the 'heretical sole god and his prophet'. That is why his son, whose given name was Tut-ankh-aten, is known to us today as Tutankhamun. Amon/Amun was the name of the most powerful/respected god before Akhenaten's sole-god-of-love religious revolution.

The Christians were not the first to put forth the idea of monotheism and a single god who created everything; they were simply a lot luckier than Akhenaten in the long run, in my opinion.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
I'd like to add another religious belief to that list. Christianity was not, as most people believe, the first religion to worship a "sole god". The first instance of an organized religion worshipping a sole god was in ancient Egypt -- the 18th Dynasty, to be exact, which was about 1000 BC. The Pharaoh Amonhotep IV overturned the existing religious system, changed his name to Akhenaten, and established a system of his own invention which was a belief in ONE GOD, the "Aten", whose manifestation was the Sun as "the creator of all things". The religion of the Aten was based on love (sound familiar?), nature and "living in truth", but at the same time, worship of other gods was no longer tolerated (sound familiar?). The beautiful Queen Nefertiti was Akhenaten's wife, by the way.

Akhenaten was eventuallly assassinated by those who recognized that his religion of Love and Light would culminate in the total destruction of the existing (multi-god) political/religious framework of power, and great effort was expended to destroy any references to the 'heretical sole god and his prophet'. That is why his son, whose given name was Tut-ankh-aten, is known to us today as Tutankhamun. Amon/Amun was the name of the most powerful/respected god before Akhenaten's sole-god-of-love religious revolution.

The Christians were not the first to put forth the idea of monotheism and a single god who created everything; they were simply a lot luckier than Akhenaten in the long run, in my opinion.

Wow I love learning things about ancient egypt, you seem to know a great deal. Fascinating stuff.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
LongHornGuy- No I don't have proof that God exist it is not my responsibly to prove anything to you, only God can do that. I believe the Bible to be the living Word of God so yes I believe that only people who accept Jesus as savior will go to Heaven. You are not capable of understanding this without the Holy Spirit.
I don't push my thoughts or believes on anyone, I just say what I feel, it is up to whoever to make the choice of believing or not, I am not your Holy Spirit. But I will tell people about Jesus, what He has done for me till the day I die.
I am sorry you are so bitter about all this.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:02 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
I'm just tired of religious right-wind nutjobs trying to push their belief system on others. That is all. They are close-minded, ignorant, and need to be told the truth.
I'm just tired of non-Christian left-wing nutjobs trying to push their evil system on others. That is all. They are close-minded, ignorant, and need to be told the truth.

Have a nice day

Old 04-20-2007, 09:07 AM

192 posts, read 864,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Wow I love learning things about ancient egypt, you seem to know a great deal. Fascinating stuff.
If you also like reading historical novels based on that period, you would probably love an excellent one by Pauline Gedge, The Twelfth Transforming.

The other two I highly recommend were both written by Allen Drury: A God Against The Gods and Return to Thebes.

Both deal with the entire Akhenaten/Amarna period and are extremely well researched and written.

Pauline Gedge also wrote one of the best novels about Hatshepsut (the only female Pharaoh; Cleopatra was never "Pharaoh", only Queen), entitled Child of the Morning.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:09 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,486 times
Apparently you've been either 1) absent, 2) chosen to ignore, or 3) have a selective attention span when it comes to noticing the various hate speech fellow "Christians" promote and the hypocritical lives they live.

As I stated, most hate speech starts with Christians on this board--Christians who think their bogus religion gives them the right to pass judgement on others and act like a bunch of heathens.

I tell ya, if the purpose of Christianity is to "love thy neighbor", I sure am not seeing much of it from so-called Christians.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
If you also like reading historical novels based on that period, you would probably love an excellent one by Pauline Gedge, The Twelfth Transforming.

The other two I highly recommend were both written by Allen Drury: A God Against The Gods and Return to Thebes.

Both deal with the entire Akhenaten/Amarna period and are extremely well researched and written.

Pauline Gedge also wrote one of the best novels about Hatshepsut (the only female Pharaoh; Cleopatra was never "Pharaoh", only Queen), entitled Child of the Morning.
Yes I do, I have all sorts of books on Ancient Egypt. My husband says I was born in the wrong time and place LOL!! I wrote those down and will check them out. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
Apparently you've been either 1) absent, 2) chosen to ignore, or 3) have a selective attention span when it comes to noticing the various hate speech fellow "Christians" promote and the hypocritical lives they live.

As I stated, most hate speech starts with Christians on this board--Christians who think their bogus religion gives them the right to pass judgement on others and act like a bunch of heathens.

I tell ya, if the purpose of Christianity is to "love thy neighbor", I sure am not seeing much of it from so-called Christians.
Some on this forum are very polite and nice and try not to judge and do their best to explain in a respectful way, others not so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality