Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times

Advertisements

LHG86

opening my soul and reading thru the bible,asking for divine guidance has changed the way I look at the world,other people and myself...for the better I think.I feel comforted,I take time to smell the roses more often,I understand now that life's greatest treasures friends family and health are the most important things,I understand that life can be hard but makes you better and life is wonderful.So how can it be nonsense if this is what I get from the bible anf trusting in God?If it helps somebody have a better life why would you chastize them for it?

Yes not everybody stands up and lives the true meaning,I fall short constantly myself,because there is nothing easy about believing,it is a constant challenge but dont confuse the message with the messanger.

Pushing it on someone?That depends...if you are treated as a scourge of society because you dont worship then yes,but if someone speaks of it in your presence thats not pushing it on someone.

Proof?I cant give you proof,it is something you must come to know yourself,because you want to.There are many on this board who would say Im not a true Christian,that fine because my trust is with Jesus not with them.

When someone uses and spews hatred in the name of God,that is their wrong doing but it doesn't make the wisdom of the bible the truth of life any less valued.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,669 times
I didn't start this thread for this--I started it because I'd like for these religious nut jobs who like to arrogantly look down upon others to explain themselves.

Please, be my guest. Explain yourselves.

Something tells me we won't get very far with this.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:39 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
LongHornGuy, I was raised in the church, (Southern Baptist), and was active in it, up until a few years ago. It all started when I was doing a study on tithing, (which I concluded was not meant for Christians; it was an Old Testament tax. It seemed to me that giving, not tithing was the commandment in the New Testament). Anyway, as I searched through that topic, I also started searching others, such as hell, the historical Jesus, the effects of paganism on Christianity, etc. I have not come to the same harsh conclusion that you have, ( I am still searching and studying), but I understand where you are coming from, and I admit that there alot of things that that don't make sense, and although I have not rejected Christianity, neither do I embrace it, if that makes sense. I have investigated into many faiths, and many belief systems, and though I haven't come to a completely satisfactory conclusion, (and, perhaps I never will. Maybe it's all about the search, at the risk of sounding philosophical), I would have to say that basic American Indian beliefs come very close. I say basic, because obviously they, too differ. I don't mean to sound like some kind of new age weirdo, by any stretch; but I like the basic acceptance that most of them seem to have, concerning a Creator. I am reading, for the second time, Vine Deloria's book, called "God is Red". Very interesting, and eye-opening.

You said you weren't an atheist. If I may ask, what do you believe?

Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
What works for one persons peace of mind may not work for another..Some prefer a little prayer to calm them down.. some prefer a quiet time out and some prefer a joint!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
I didn't start this thread for this--I started it because I'd like for these religious nut jobs who like to arrogantly look down upon others to explain themselves.

Please, be my guest. Explain yourselves.

Something tells me we won't get very far with this.
it goes both ways.Why would 2 kids in Colorado,a guy in Virginia state their hatred for Christians and murder them in a most cold hearted fashion?People they didn't even know who they were?

Maybe if they would have understood that their are good people in this world also,some that way because they believe in Christ,that maybe they would have felt love around them and would have been shown love.

Yet they chose to arrogantly look down on them and and end their life.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 AM

10 posts, read 48,305 times
Quote:
I'm just tired of religious right-wind nutjobs trying to push their belief system on others. That is all.

They are close-minded, ignorant, and need to be told the truth.
...and apparently we have one more.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
What works for one persons peace of mind may not work for another..Some prefer a little prayer to calm them down.. some prefer a quiet time out and some prefer a joint!!!
I prefer the joint!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I prefer the joint!
LOL!......PHM,this qualifies you for my members celebrity roast thread,stay tuned.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Before I make my reasons be known for dismissing Christianity, I think it's important that the readers understand I have read and interpreted the Bible numerously and have studied Christianity extensively. My reasons for choosing to reject Christianity are based on facts and opinions.

I've always been a skeptic. Fantastic, unrealistic, and quite frankly, ridiculous stories from the Bible that I have heard ever since I can remember. Now, after 21 years, I am able to logically think for myself and refuse to be manipulated by the church. Before I explain why, I'd like to first state some disturbing observations I have made about many Christians.

I have rejected Christianity for many reasons, but the arrogance and superbity that many Christians seem to exude was the main one. I became quite irritated with Christians feeling that they had the duty to "save" individuals who believe differently than they do. I never did understand that one; why is it that Christians think their religion is right, despite having absolutely no evidence to prove it? Likewise, Jews, Hindus, and Muslims can't prove their beliefs either, but atleast they have enough dignity to keep to themselves and don't feel the need to force their beliefs on others.

I find this arrogance, if you will, to be a very primitive way of thinking, and I am sometimes shocked by the many educated adults who attend church and actually believe what they are told. A common belief among many Christians is that they're the only ones who are "saved" because they believe Jesus died on the cross for their sins. Thus, they believe they are the only ones who'll get into Heaven. They believe anyone who does not hold these beliefs will automatically be condemned to hell.

I have always felt that that belief in and of itself is nothing but bs.

You're telling me that a Christian murderer, rapist, child molester (as we see in the Catholic church), or thief will get into heaven but a Muslim who has been worthy and has led a good life will go to hell simply because they don't believe in Jesus? Get real.

Why is it that people want to be manipulated? I mean, how is it that at 21, I am able to see that the church is nothing but a corrupt institution and has been doing nothing but damaging, manipulating, and intimidating people since it was first established? Better yet, how many people have been murdered or have died in the name of Jesus Christ? Millions.

Millions of people claim that they belong to the Christian religion, but few of them know anything about the alleged life of the founder of their religion, Jesus Christ. Why? Since secular history is silent on the historical actuality of the alleged life and teachings of Jesus, our only source of information on him is the Bible (a very questionable source).

What's quite interesting actually, is that the research I have done has convinced me completely that Christianity is nothing but a hoax. That's right folks, it's fake. Rather than continue to state my opinion, I am going to provide you with facts. Cold hard facts, that as far as I'm concerned, discredit Christianity completely.

If Jesus was born, lived 33 years as a highly influential leader, as the Bible claims, and died, why is there no mention of him by philosophers who lived during the time he supposedly did? More importantly, why isn't there a mention of Jesus by first century Christian, Roman, Greek or Jewish sources from this time? Neither his miracles, his teachings, the place of his birth (Nazareth), death, or prosecutor (Pilate), are ever mentioned by anyone who supposedly lived during his lifetime. Why? Because he hadn't been created yet. Even early Christian writers, like Paul, don't mention anything of a living Jesus. He only mentions a Christ in Heaven. Jesus was given a life, a death, and a legacy long after he supposedly lived.

More disturbing is the fact that if you examine it closely, you'll see that Christianity is nothing more than a combination of the practices, traditions, and beliefs of other religions. Namely, Paganism, Buddhism, Greek mythology, and Judaism.

Did you know many of Jesus' teachings are nearly identical to Buddha's? How can those sayings be of Jesus, when Buddhism was established 400 years prior to Christianity? Even the date of December 25, Jesus' alleged birthday, has roots in Roman mythology. It was the day in which Romans celebrated the life of Mithra, the "sun god." Christian priests simply stole this day and proclaimed it to be a Christian holiday. Another example of such "theft", is the fish we often see on the back of cars, believed by Christians to represent Jesus and their belief in Christianity. Actually, the fish has ties to early paganism; it represented female fertility.

The Bible story of Jesus is a contradictory and confusing account. If you read the entire Bible, you will find tales of ignorance, murder, sexual perversions, mass insanity, idiotic laws, and human sacrifice. There are biblical scriptures (which most priests won't dare speak of) which justify slavery, justify hate and ignorance, and justify the oppression and persecution of others. How can educated adults believe that the Bible was written by a wise, just, and loving God?

I'm still puzzled, really, at how many black Americans consider themselves to be Christian. As a black American, I myself was bewildered at how Jesus would condone slavery, when, according to the Bible, every man is created equal.

You know, really, I could go on and on. I just scratched the surface, providing you with the basics; information you will use hopefully to research Christianity yourself, question your own beliefs, and make your own decisions. That being said, I am NOT an Atheist.
So what all this basically says to me is "My orginal post false. I don't have problems with religion in gereral, just a CERTAIN religion."

Thanks for clearing that up for us. And thanks for tolerance.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:09 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,051 times
I don't know if you want a serious answer to your question LongHorn or if you just want to attack Christians but here goes...

I think most(if not all) religious people know somewhere deep in their psyche that their beliefs are total bunk. So it does little good for skeptics to point this out. They must believe for some other reason. There must be something that religion gives person or people would not embrace such ridiculous fairy tales. There must be an evolutionary advantage to faith.

Some possibilities might include: A strong sense of community with other believers encourages altruistic behavior and resource sharing. A belief in an afterlife could encourage believers to take greater risk and therefore reap greater rewards. A religious hierarchy could lead more efficient use of labor and resources. A beleif in divine justice could help maintain civil order.

These are just some ideas, I am sure we could think of some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality