Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:25 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,099,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
It is this authority that I don't understand. How was it given to Paul?
While on the road to Damascus, Saul (later called Paul) experienced a divine encounter with the risen Jesus. Jesus asked Saul why he was persecuting Him. Jesus directed him to go to the city and wait to be told what to do further. Saul was blinded for 3 days.

A Christian in the city, Ananias, had a vision from the Lord directing him to go to Saul who the Lord said was praying. The Lord told Ananias to lay hands on him and cause him to receive his sight. Ananias was hestitant because Saul had persecuted so many Christians - put them to death believing he was doing the right thing according to the law.

But the Lord told Ananias, "Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel." Acts 9:15

Therefore, to answer you question, the Lord Jesus Himself authorized Paul to spread the Gospel!

Old 04-08-2007, 06:47 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,132,973 times
Thanks, but I am aware of married priests during many different periods in Catholic history. I was just conjecturing--was Paul's (Saul) celibacy related to later restrictions and views on marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Do a search for 'married Popes' and you may be surprised.

You will also see some sites proposing that celibacy for priests came about as a way of the church ensuring its inheritance of priests' property.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:49 PM

When I get settled this summer, I'll have to reopen the bible and the concordance. Thanks for this reference as I had forgotten this scripture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
While on the road to Damascus, Saul (later called Paul) experienced a divine encounter with the risen Jesus. Jesus asked Saul why he was persecuting Him. Jesus directed him to go to the city and wait to be told what to do further. Saul was blinded for 3 days.

A Christian in the city, Ananias, had a vision from the Lord directing him to go to Saul who the Lord said was praying. The Lord told Ananias to lay hands on him and cause him to receive his sight. Ananias was hestitant because Saul had persecuted so many Christians - put them to death believing he was doing the right thing according to the law.

But the Lord told Ananias, "Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel." Acts 9:15

Therefore, to answer you question, the Lord Jesus Himself authorized Paul to spread the Gospel!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:35 PM

642 posts, read 3,074,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
I don't know enough about the bible to have any intelligent discussion about it, but I've wondered why some religious "leaders" such as Jimmy Baker become so corrupt under the guise of preaching the word. Is it simply being human and being overcome by greed or is (was) it a scam the whole time. I only used one example because that is the only name I could think of off the top of my head. There seem to be so few "well knowns" that are doing it as a man of god, i.e. Billy Graham.
This is a very good question. In my experience studying psychology I understand the sickness to be the connection to the action of goodness. For instance. Jim Baker first had the negative behavior, but is psychologically in conflict and pits one against the other internally. Thus he probably was in intense denial at the time he was acting out and sublimating his anquish into the action of goodness in his life, increasing the lying and denial within himself of his acting out.

It is not an infrequent rationalization for many in many realms, not just in relationship to religion. We can see this the most in people who excel at something but at the same time in the background are with the same energy excelling at something just the opposite and hiding out from themselves through rationalization. Thus the investment in the area that is accepted by society and seems to be an action of forgiveness increases in intensity along with the increase of intensity of their addiction/acting out.

Just my 2. They thus need intervention, but can not be reached until they get honest. Many of us do this in minor ways.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:12 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,190,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Absolutely. It's like anything else...it's a process. I'm sorry, I don't know who Chuck Smith is. Can you tell me who he is and what he has written?
Chuck Smith started church in the 60's in Costa Mesa,California for hippie's called the Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa. He was showing that Jesus didn't care if we had sinned there was still salvation in Jesus. You could come as you were, so this allowed the hippie's to feel comfortable in a less restricted non organized religion. I have given his website down below.

I think you will find that he gently guides you to the Lord and wins your heart to find the LOVE of JESUS rather then, Your going to HELL if you have commented any of these human sins from a small test that Mark Cahill gave. Chuck Smith has a huge following of others that have started Clavary Chapel Churches located in a lot of states.

I'm sorry but, for someone who has no idea how to find Jesus I feel leading them to such strong conviction could turn them away from ever taking a chance on the greatest LOVE we will ever know!!

http://www.calvarychapelcostamesa.com/

Old 04-10-2007, 02:40 PM

For purposes of further discussion, here is a list of who is credited with writing the OT and NT:

http://www.carm.org/bible/biblewhen.htm

Old 04-10-2007, 05:47 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,190,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
For purposes of further discussion, here is a list of who is credited with writing the OT and NT:

http://www.carm.org/bible/biblewhen.htm
Thanks again!! I have a book that has the writers of the books and what each chapter is about and it's very helpful when reading. The problem I was packing books away and I think it got into the things packed for remodeling and I do miss it.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,273,952 times
The thread is now closed per OP's request. Thanks to all who participated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality