Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times

Advertisements

We cross posted, ILNC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I posted this in another thread, I think it also apply' s to the question asked here: Although the Bible is one of the most owned books, it is sadly one of the least read, mostly because people do not understand what Scripture is. They have never learned that it is God's revelation of Himself, His love letter to humanity, which describes who He is and how we can have a relationship with Him. Even some people who claim to be Christians misunderstand how valuable the Bible is as a guide for life.
Another reason people overlook God's word they assume it lacks authenticity. In their opinion, it is a collection of myths and stories written by mere men and partially true, that is because they are not personally acquainted with the author. Once you KNOW Him, this book suddenly takes on a entirely new significance.
There is nothing missing from the Word of God. Whether you need wisdom, encouragement, conviction, or warning somewhere in this book is the appropriate help for you.
God's Word is the unfolding revelation of His love for us. Every story, detail and principle from Genesis to Revelation fits a single overriding theme, the Creators redeeming love for lost mankind.
God's purpose in giving us this special book was to make it possible for us to have a loving, intimate relationship with Him, and that is why He created us.
The truth of the Bible transcends time. The eternal word of God does not change, the truth does not change, the principles of God never change.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
What hardships did they face? What decisions did they make? And how many of these people described and today referenced in other books and in houses of worship, played a role in the shaping of our present lives.

My immediate question was: Is Paul's celibacy the root of the Roman Catholic Church's rigorous maintenance of the priesthood.

The other question I had was "by what authority."
There are many Bible teachers now who do study history in conjuction with the Bible to get the "bigger picture." I heartily approve of this as it gives us a clearer picture of what was actually happening when the scripture was written (as in Paul's case, letters to the various churches of the region).

I have no opinion whether Paul's celibacy was some basis for the Catholic priesthood requirements. But on a practical note, with all the travels that Paul made as a "missionary", a wife would have been left alone most of the time unless she traveled with him. He advised others against marrying so they could focus more on the return of Christ and spreading the gospel (my words) and I think he lived what he preached.

I'm not sure what you're referring to "by what authority." Are you asking about all writings in the Bible or Paul's? All Biblical writings were IMO the inspired Word of God. If all of us had the experience Paul had on the road to Damascus, I think we'd become more devout, proactive believers as well!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:05 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post

Speaking of Billy Graham's "Angels:" book...when I was first saved I read this book because the Bible was too overwhelming for me. It is an excellent way to work up to God's word without being overwhelmed.
I also read this after becoming a Christian and books by Chuck Smith these really helped eaze back into the Bible. I was able to read again but this time allowing the Holy Spirit to guide my reading and not my own thoughts.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:11 PM

In the marriage thread, wildberries, wrote:

Quote:
I couldn't find anything about Paul being married either not to say he wasn't or hadn't been. His authority was given to him by Jesus. Just as Jesus had given authority to the other Apostles to spread the message and word. Also, his thoughts were inspired by the Holy Spirit!!

SOME men do abuse the word authority in the Bible. Also, some have had problems with women in their lives that have caused the pain and you are the target for their aggression. I'm sure most women have experinced an abusive relationship with men that like control, I had my experience. You have to ask were these men Christians or just trying to justify their reasoning?
If you have a relationship with Jesus I just don't see this happening!!
Here's a site and a little info. about Paul's authority to write the word!!

http://www.brfwitn (broken link)[ess.org/Articles/1991v26n5.htm
Picking apart the Scriptures has become a cherished pastime for some modern theologians. A favorite sport these days is to shoot down the authority of Paul. It is often said that the words of Jesus are after all more important, and therefore more binding, than the words of the Apostle Paul.

THE TESTIMONY OF PAUL
The Apostle Paul himself claims divine inspiration for his writings. The Gospel which Paul preached was not of human origin, but it was received directly from the Lord. He says, "For I would have you know that the gospel which was preached by me, is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ" (Galatians 1:11-12). This is an emphatic statement which insists that Paul's message is completely divine in nature. He received it as a direct revelation from Christ, not as a tradition handed down from the past.

It is this authority that I don't understand. How was it given to Paul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
There are many Bible teachers now who do study history in conjuction with the Bible to get the "bigger picture." I heartily approve of this as it gives us a clearer picture of what was actually happening when the scripture was written (as in Paul's case, letters to the various churches of the region).

I have no opinion whether Paul's celibacy was some basis for the Catholic priesthood requirements. But on a practical note, with all the travels that Paul made as a "missionary", a wife would have been left alone most of the time unless she traveled with him. He advised others against marrying so they could focus more on the return of Christ and spreading the gospel (my words) and I think he lived what he preached.

I'm not sure what you're referring to "by what authority." Are you asking about all writings in the Bible or Paul's? All Biblical writings were IMO the inspired Word of God. If all of us had the experience Paul had on the road to Damascus, I think we'd become more devout, proactive believers as well!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I also read this after becoming a Christian and books by Chuck Smith these really helped eaze back into the Bible. I was able to read again but this time allowing the Holy Spirit to guide my reading and not my own thoughts.
Absolutely. It's like anything else...it's a process. I'm sorry, I don't know who Chuck Smith is. Can you tell me who he is and what he has written?

Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 PM

I can't and won't argue with your words and beliefs. They are yours to cherish and hold.

They don't match mine and I don't subscribe to either the Lord Jesus and the concept that the Bible is a guide to living, or given to us as a gift by God. Without that faith, it is difficult to accept the book as the final answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I posted this in another thread, I think it also apply' s to the question asked here: Although the Bible is one of the most owned books, it is sadly one of the least read, mostly because people do not understand what Scripture is. They have never learned that it is God's revelation of Himself, His love letter to humanity, which describes who He is and how we can have a relationship with Him. Even some people who claim to be Christians misunderstand how valuable the Bible is as a guide for life.
Another reason people overlook God's word they assume it lacks authenticity. In their opinion, it is a collection of myths and stories written by mere men and partially true, that is because they are not personally acquainted with the author. Once you KNOW Him, this book suddenly takes on a entirely new significance.
There is nothing missing from the Word of God. Whether you need wisdom, encouragement, conviction, or warning somewhere in this book is the appropriate help for you.
God's Word is the unfolding revelation of His love for us. Every story, detail and principle from Genesis to Revelation fits a single overriding theme, the Creators redeeming love for lost mankind.
God's purpose in giving us this special book was to make it possible for us to have a loving, intimate relationship with Him, and that is why He created us.
The truth of the Bible transcends time. The eternal word of God does not change, the truth does not change, the principles of God never change.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:57 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
Quote:
In the marriage thread, "to love, honour and obey" he is referenced, and we ask if he was married. I knew he wasn't from my readings, and I certainly couldn't find any evidence online. Neither could wildberries. Hoosier said, no, he wasn't married but he was learned, and made the decision not to marry to better serve God, or Jesus. wildberries said he had the authority.

My immediate question was: Is Paul's celibacy the root of the Roman Catholic Church's rigorous maintenance of the priesthood.

From what I understand by the authority of Jesus. The road to Damascus started it all. This is how I understand Paul got his approval, it may seem far fetched. I believe if God or Jesus want it done it will probably be in a way that would make us question how could it happen like that.
I just think our way of thinking is not God's!!

Old 04-07-2007, 10:07 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:

Do a search for 'married Popes' and you may be surprised.

You will also see some sites proposing that celibacy for priests came about as a way of the church ensuring its inheritance of priests' property.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:16 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
I can't and won't argue with your words and beliefs. They are yours to cherish and hold.

They don't match mine and I don't subscribe to either the Lord Jesus and the concept that the Bible is a guide to living, or given to us as a gift by God. Without that faith, it is difficult to accept the book as the final answer.
That's ok, you are entitled to your beliefs too. I you said the key word here, faith. Hebrews 11:1 " What if faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:54 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
Clearly the Bible is an important book. More important to some of course but no one can doubt the book's historical and moral significance.

As the to the question as to whether it has relevance today, again...I think that depends on your belief system. For non-Christians like myself, I think the Bible is not as important, but there are still important things to take away from it. Of course, if you are a Christian, it has a higher significance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality