Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:43 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,470,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Hi DOTL!
Nice to see you again! No, I was talking about atheists who have spoken out against God...and tried to convince others He doesn't exist. I was wondering about the "ultimate sin." The one that says once this is done there is no turning back...don't have the scripture in my brain right now. Hope you know what I'm talking about...will look it up later. It would seem to me that some of the people who post on here say pretty awful things about God.....and most of them that I've seen do that are the athiests. Just wondering if anyone who used to do this has turned to God. Not necessarily just the ones who found him since coming here--to CD.

*Wish I could be one of those people who can just quote scripture right and left...but I'm not...in fact I'm just lucky if I remember everyones names! ..lol
Just a thought in so much as what you are talking about.

Perhaps you are asking whether or not any "anti-theists" have come to God? I think many atheists would classify themselves in this perspective and I have heavy leanings towards the idea myself. To me, the thought that there is some sort of being that is watching everything I do while judging, criticizing, writing things down up to and including every thought I have really does remind me of a celestial dictatorship rather than something worthy of worship. In the capacity of my atheism, I simply don't believe such a thing exists. My "anti-theist" sentiments make me glad that such a thing does not exist and I think there is a fine line between what I am against and what I am not against in so much as what people worship and believe in.

For the record, no, I have not in any way grown closer to God or even thought a simple "perhaps". If anything, by posting on this forum I have, if such a thing is possible, grown further away from any resemblance of this notion of God. But, that's only me. I can't speak for any other atheists on that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 10:45 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,022,861 times
Quote:
I was reading a thread and began to wonder. Are there any atheists who have since turned to God and are living a Christian life?
I was reading stories online several months ago. The internet is swarming with them. Google them. There's a lot of good reading.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:24 PM

33,573 posts, read 37,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

Perhaps you are asking whether or not any "anti-theists" have come to God? I think many atheists would classify themselves in this perspective and I have heavy leanings towards the idea myself. To me, the thought that there is some sort of being that is watching everything I do while judging, criticizing, writing things down up to and including every thought I have really does remind me of a celestial dictatorship rather than something worthy of worship. In the capacity of my atheism, I simply don't believe such a thing exists. My "anti-theist" sentiments make me glad that such a thing does not exist and I think there is a fine line between what I am against and what I am not against in so much as what people worship and believe in.

For the record, no, I have not in any way grown closer to God or even thought a simple "perhaps". If anything, by posting on this forum I have, if such a thing is possible, grown further away from any resemblance of this notion of God. But, that's only me. I can't speak for any other atheists on that matter.
I agree troop. Reading and participating on this forum has only served to strengthen my choice.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:45 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,899,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatLoaf_Enchilada View Post
You mean that Ozzy Osbourne? Hahaha, hehe.. oh. Wait! Is this what you speak of?

Luke 12:10

"And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.
"

Matthew 12:31

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

Oh and by the way, the ultimate sin, great song. I love how they end words with eth...
Speaking out against God and/or saying there is no God is not the 'ultimate sin'.

Also, I don't think Ozzy (not they, he) ends any words with 'eth' in The Ultimate Sin, but I might be wrong....it's been a while

Old 12-21-2008, 06:55 AM

5,510 posts, read 7,353,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

Oh come on. Your a smart guy.
Do realize how many pens and peices of paper that would take?

Surley there is broadband in heaven by now.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:01 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,077,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
That is exactly a point. He used to be an atheist, he used to never insult anyone who was religious.
Have you, Alpha, read all of his posts? For someone who turned to god from being an atheist, he's pretty arrogant, and if he indeed was an atheist, he should at least know where we stand.

No excuses here.

Why? Because I know what I believe and I have the guts to say it?

I have never attacked anyone personally on this site. I'm sorry if you feel I'm arrogant, but I don't think I'm any more arrogant than the many atheists on this board that take shots at the religious.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:20 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,179,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Why? Because I know what I believe and I have the guts to say it?

I have never attacked anyone personally on this site. I'm sorry if you feel I'm arrogant, but I don't think I'm any more arrogant than the many atheists on this board that take shots at the religious.
No, it is not because of what you believe, i can care less what and who you believe. You haven't got the point i was trying to make.
I'll give you some time to sit on it.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 AM

852 posts, read 1,366,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Speaking out against God and/or saying there is no God is not the 'ultimate sin'.

Also, I don't think Ozzy (not they, he) ends any words with 'eth' in The Ultimate Sin, but I might be wrong....it's been a while
Hi Alpha! Love your posts...such patience...admire that.

So, what in your opinion is the ultimate sin?

"And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven."

And how what is your opinion of the above verse?

As far as GSTroop: I can totally understand how this site would would not bring you closer to God...I can totally understand how this site would take people from God...I can totally understand how it would make one question their own faith...: But on a good note, it has made me read and read and read some more of the bible. I just pray that all people take the time to read for themselves and don't just turn from God because someone told them that they are doing things wrong.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:43 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,635,685 times
[quote]
Quote:
Hi DOTL!
Nice to see you again! No, I was talking about atheists who have spoken out against God...and tried to convince others He doesn't exist. I was wondering about the "ultimate sin." The one that says once this is done there is no turning back...don't have the scripture in my brain right now. Hope you know what I'm talking about...will look it up later. It would seem to me that some of the people who post on here say pretty awful things about God.....and most of them that I've seen do that are the athiests. Just wondering if anyone who used to do this has turned to God. Not necessarily just the ones who found him since coming here--to CD.
Ahhhh....okay. I misunderstood. Sorry about that. Here are some scriptures that I think maybe you are thinking of:

Mark 3:29
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

Luke 12:10
And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Matthew 12:31
And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

Romans 1:28
Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.

Quote:
*Wish I could be one of those people who can just quote scripture right and left...but I'm not...in fact I'm just lucky if I remember everyones names! ..lol
I'm not that great at it either, Biblegateway is my lifesaver. I can usually pick words from a scripture and search there and find it. Not always, I'm still looking for a particular scripture that I KNOW is in the Bible, but for the life of me I cannot find it. Very frustrating.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:10 AM

122 posts, read 224,545 times
@ Alpha, the first part was about the song, then I talked about how the verses had words that ended with eth. Easy to confuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality