Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

20,049 posts, read 13,516,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'm not sure what you're so worried about. You're not even Catholic so what would a hypothetical inquisition have to do with you?
Not much. Just forced conversion, harassing undesirables to leave the realm, a few minor things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Osama Bin Laden with a crucifix.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

181 posts, read 35,055 times
In some ways the 60s spirit was elitism. So I think it's more complex than what I assume the article described. But I haven't read the article yet.

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

9,363 posts, read 13,026,453 times
Quote:
Of course I am opposed to the US Constitution and freedom of religion. I have stated this before and make no secret of it. Why do you think I'm being dishonest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think you're being dishonest. But I don't think you're an American.
I do think he exaggerates to get a rise out of people, and to his credit it obviously works. But I also think his genuine beliefs—whatever they may be—are plenty deranged on their own merits and would make even Bill Donohue blush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Thank God the RCC will never again have political power. Separation of church and state is the way to go.
It’s ironic because many anti-Catholic bigots feared JFK would do exactly what Mike advocates for here.

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear any responses to the actual article or to my questions posed in the OP, as opposed to personal quips.

Too much to ask?
You keep running around the mulberry bush in the same way. Frankly, this Roman Catholic shock jock stuff is getting rather boring.

Here’s a somewhat serious question: why live in Alabama, which is one of the least (and possibly the least) Catholic states in the union? Do you just enjoy a challenge?

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

63,884 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I do think he exaggerates to get a rise out of people, and to his credit it obviously works. But I also think his genuine beliefs—whatever they may be—are plenty deranged on their own merits and would make even Bill Donohue blush.
<Snip>
The bold is not remotely overstated. That anyone can think that what they believe about God should become what everyone believes about God . . . OR ELSE! is definitively deranged. That is the epitome of disordered thinking, IMO!

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

13,673 posts, read 7,975,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8gr8apost8 View Post
your dreams of inquisitions are for nought emike. Now we expect it.
Ha!

Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You appear to be dodging the question.

In the Spanish Inquisition (which you have already said you approve of), Catholics were killing others, specifically Jews, who didn't want to convert to Catholicism.

So, here's the simple Yes or No question.

Do you advocate inquisition style killing of people who do not practice Catholicism? Yes or No.
Educate yourself and stop mindlessly buying into Black Legend propaganda nonsense, as convenient as it may be to do so.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
In some ways the 60s spirit was elitism. So I think it's more complex than what I assume the article described. But I haven't read the article yet.
You should read it! Interesting stuff.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

16,706 posts, read 15,701,811 times
Quote:
Educate yourself and stop mindlessly buying into Black Legend propaganda nonsense, as convenient as it may be to do so.

I don't even know what that is, but it is blatantly obvious that you won't answer a straightforward question.

Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

23,200 posts, read 10,481,904 times
Quote:
The spirit of the 1960s was one of revolutionary change and an ushering in of perceived progress both in politics and religion the world over.

Is that spirit dying out as the generation that ushered it in dies out? Has the 60s generation failed to pass that spirit on to their progeny?

The AP put out an interesting piece the other day entitled 'A step back in time': America's Catholic Church sees an immense shift toward the old ways

Here's a link to the article and an excerpt:

The progressive priests who dominated the U.S. church in the years after Vatican II are now in their 70s and 80s. Many are retired. Some are dead. Younger priests, surveys show, are far more conservative.

“They say they’re trying to restore what us old guys ruined,” said the Rev. John Forliti, 87, a retired Twin Cities priest who fought for civil rights and reforms in Catholic school sex education.

Doug Koesel, an outspoken 72-year-old priest at Blessed Trinity Parish in Cleveland, was blunter: “They’re just waiting for us to die.”

As anyone here familiar with my posts knows, I'm unabashedly a member of the 'younger' generation looking to bring back moral rigidity, monarchies, inquisitions, and the like. I just hope my generation does a better job of 'passing on the torch', so to speak, to create some real staying power.
Magical 60's and 70's is no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality