Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 02:08 PM

33,296 posts, read 26,501,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
How about burial at sea?
That's fine. I've thought about doing that myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 02:29 PM

16,003 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I always thought that was really neat. Not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate it from a philosophical standpoint.
Yes. There is a PBS show on the status of vultures in India and the difficulty they have in getting enough to eat, and how their diminishing numbers is affecting the ecology. Sad.

Old 04-27-2024, 02:12 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,890,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes. There is a PBS show on the status of vultures in India and the difficulty they have in getting enough to eat, and how their diminishing numbers is affecting the ecology. Sad.

Surely there are still things dying (both people and animals) in India? Maybe there are more people who can afford a burial rather than being eaten by birds?

Old 04-27-2024, 02:41 AM

16,003 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Surely there are still things dying (both people and animals) in India? Maybe there are more people who can afford a burial rather than being eaten by birds?
Quote:
Contaminating the elements (Earth, Air, Fire and Water) with decaying matter such as a corpse is considered sacrilege. Instead of burying the corpse, Zoroastrians traditionally laid it out on a purpose built tower (dokhma or 'Tower of Silence') to be exposed to the sun and eaten by birds of prey such as vultures
Does a dead body care whether it is food for worms and slowly eaten or for vultures who can clean it to the bones in a day? It is not about affording a burial but returning the body to where it came from - the elements. Different outlooks and definitely makes more sense than putting the body in a box in my opinion.
. Aka Parsi they are a small and wealthy community of Industrialists. Highly philanthropic. JD Tata has donated a chair at Harvard business school. I think they can afford any kind of burial and this is what the believe in.

Last edited by cb2008; 04-27-2024 at 02:58 AM..

Old 04-27-2024, 09:19 AM

9,358 posts, read 13,026,453 times
Quote:
I think it’s a matter of the decline in vulture population impacting Parsi religious practices (and not the other way around).

Old 04-27-2024, 09:34 AM

50,893 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
The vulture thing also happened in Siam at various times, particularly when epidemics hit. Wat Saket (the Golden Mount) in Bangkok was one place where such behaviors were done at least during widespread epidemics.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:12 PM

97 posts, read 24,206 times
If you're going to cremate a love one and plan to spread their ashes, then remember to check your local laws to see what's legal and illegal before doing it.

Old Today, 02:37 AM

23,197 posts, read 10,481,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Logically, all bodies eventually decompose to dust. Embalming only slows the process down and still greatly changes the body. Some people die in explosions and crashes who are reduced to ashes in the process. Others are dismembered, or suffer other forms of mayhem.

If god can resurrect bodies from dust, or extract the righteous from a meat grinder or the impact crater of a plane crash, he can do it from ashes.

If you try to argue that cremation is a desecration of some kind (like the Greek Orthodox Church does) then you have to argue that the process of decay of the body is somehow god-ordained. It is similar to the argument against contraception in a way ... or even the argument some had against anesthesia when it was invented. Never interfere in natural processes. Taken to its "logical" conclusion, one shouldn't use cell phones, one should shout or use a runner. After all cell phones aren't "natural". You end up picking really strange hills to die on when you start thinking like that.

Here's a summary of various religious views on the matter:

https://www.cremation.com/learn-abou...tion/religion/
Good post, I read some place that Jews or somebody drill holes in the bottom of the casket to joining the earth as fast as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality