Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

1,136 posts, read 612,624 times

Advertisements

Recently a loved one passed away, it was unexpected and sudden.

The traditional burial was expensive and made me think of my own mortality and what should be done when it's my time.

Right now I think that cremation is the most practical choice for me.

Less expensive.

No need for a patch of real estate for my body.

But what does the various religions think of cremation?

Is there anything in the Bible that tells us what should be done? Does it frown upon cremation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Hmmm, money first...
Anyhow.
Think about it.
We own NOTHING. We come naked into the world and naked we leave it.
Our bodies are made out of material, borrowed from Nature. We don't even own them, they are rentals, so to speak.
This is why the right course of action is to return, what's borrowed, back to the Nature as soon as possible. That being cremation.
Also, there is word that when traditionally buried, decomposing, sometimes for thousands of year, as bones take very long time to, bodies, tie down the soul to the physical world. Hindering its after the death states.

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Recently a loved one passed away, it was unexpected and sudden. The traditional burial was expensive and made me think of my own mortality and what should be done when it's my time. Right now I think that cremation is the most practical choice for me. Less expensive. No need for a patch of real estate for my body. But what does the various religions think of cremation? Is there anything in the Bible that tells us what should be done? Does it frown upon cremation?
here are two articles which discuss view of cremation from various religions.
from a funeral home
and another

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

6,947 posts, read 6,869,734 times
If you believe that EVERYTHING is energy, then you probably dont want parts of your (old) energy body hanging about in this dimension/reality/density. There is a popular belief that we humans (our bodies) are at the lowest end of the energy scale and any aspect of ourselves which lives on(if you believe that kind of thing) will have an energy vibration which is higher. So, rather like having a millstone hanging around your neck, you dont want to be tied down with bits of you left decomposing in the Earth's dirt.
Far better to have it transmuted into energy/smoke/chemicals/etc by being cremated. However, there is still a residue...our ashes, which I am not sure about.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
From a Catholic background, burial was always the preferred option.
Cremation always scared me, even though I know once you’re dead, you’re dead.
Most of my relatives were buried too.
A handful of Protestant relatives were cremated, but that was only a few.

Last edited by Derek41; Yesterday at 09:03 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

19,993 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Logically, all bodies eventually decompose to dust. Embalming only slows the process down and still greatly changes the body. Some people die in explosions and crashes who are reduced to ashes in the process. Others are dismembered, or suffer other forms of mayhem.

If god can resurrect bodies from dust, or extract the righteous from a meat grinder or the impact crater of a plane crash, he can do it from ashes.

If you try to argue that cremation is a desecration of some kind (like the Greek Orthodox Church does) then you have to argue that the process of decay of the body is somehow god-ordained. It is similar to the argument against contraception in a way ... or even the argument some had against anesthesia when it was invented. Never interfere in natural processes. Taken to its "logical" conclusion, one shouldn't use cell phones, one should shout or use a runner. After all cell phones aren't "natural". You end up picking really strange hills to die on when you start thinking like that.

Here's a summary of various religious views on the matter:

https://www.cremation.com/learn-abou...tion/religion/

Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
When covid came along I made my final arrangements. And I chose cremation, in part because it is what most Buddhists do. However, the funeral home here said the majority of their services now lead to cremation.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

169 posts, read 30,037 times
The Buddhist practice of cremation probably was based upon practical matters of real estate.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
The Buddhist practice of cremation probably was based upon practical matters of real estate.
And where did you get that idea?

Old Today, 07:40 AM

6,947 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And where did you get that idea?
There is no dirt up mountains where the monks live !!

Maybe they burn the bodies or leave them out for the birds but there are no trees up there either so wood is probably quite valuable. I suppose you could put the bodies in caves and brick up the entrance, or embalm them perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality