Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 08:41 AM

1,000 posts, read 787,480 times

Advertisements

89:5.14 (980.3) 6. Then it became taboo among the higher tribes. The taboo on man-eating originated in Dalamatia and slowly spread over the world. The Nodites encouraged cremation as a means of combating cannibalism since it was once a common practice to dig up buried bodies and eat them.
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...-and-atonement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 08:49 AM

1,139 posts, read 617,266 times
All very interesting view points - thanks!

I do think I will choose cremation.

I just have this paranoia that it isn't the "proper" thing in the eyes of the Lord (or whomever is in charge).

The Catholics do not believe in cremation, but evidently the Christians do? Confusing.

My silly brain thinks... "What if we were meant to be buried and just "naturally" merge back into the earth and "artificially" burning yourself in a super hot manmade oven is wrong"?

My practical brain tells me that cremating makes the most sense. A very simple, low cost funeral - basically have me cremated, then do an informal gathering at my favourite park / lake... let people say their things. Done.

And that brings me to the other question... what to do with the ashes? What is proper? Scatter them in the lake / river? Or give it to my loved one to keep on their mantle?

Old 04-23-2024, 09:28 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There is no dirt up mountains where the monks live !!

Maybe they burn the bodies or leave them out for the birds but there are no trees up there either so wood is probably quite valuable. I suppose you could put the bodies in caves and brick up the entrance, or embalm them perhaps?
I hope you're joking. Most Buddhists today live in Southeast Asia. Plenty of dirt around.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:30 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
All very interesting view points - thanks!

I do think I will choose cremation.

I just have this paranoia that it isn't the "proper" thing in the eyes of the Lord (or whomever is in charge).

The Catholics do not believe in cremation, but evidently the Christians do? Confusing.

My silly brain thinks... "What if we were meant to be buried and just "naturally" merge back into the earth and "artificially" burning yourself in a super hot manmade oven is wrong"?

My practical brain tells me that cremating makes the most sense. A very simple, low cost funeral - basically have me cremated, then do an informal gathering at my favourite park / lake... let people say their things. Done.

And that brings me to the other question... what to do with the ashes? What is proper? Scatter them in the lake / river? Or give it to my loved one to keep on their mantle?
The catholic church lifted the ban back in 1963.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:36 AM

45,405 posts, read 60,592,880 times
It probably doesn't matter to the individual involved but does to family members sometimes.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:48 AM

9,344 posts, read 13,010,796 times
While I wholly respect people who feel differently, I personally dislike the idea of cremation. There’s no logical reason for my preference, and it’s not an especially strong one. It’s just a product of my Jewish cultural background, atheism notwithstanding.

Of course, I say this with the hope and expectation that my estate or surviving spouse (if applicable) can fully cover the costs associated with a traditional funeral and burial. I don’t want to push that burden onto my children or extended family. If my future financial state doesn’t meet my current expectations, I’d opt for cremation out of consideration for my loved ones.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:17 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
It should only matter what the person prefers. Of course, finances can change or limit the options. Ultimately, we've got to dispose of the body. It's played it's role, so it's sort of goofy to be worrying it after it's used up.

The only thing to me that should matter is perhaps having a specific spot where the person ends up, whether buried or ashes scattered. Just a place where a person could go to be closest to where that person's body was last located.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:37 AM

1,139 posts, read 617,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
While I wholly respect people who feel differently, I personally dislike the idea of cremation. There’s no logical reason for my preference, and it’s not an especially strong one. It’s just a product of my Jewish cultural background, atheism notwithstanding.

Of course, I say this with the hope and expectation that my estate or surviving spouse (if applicable) can fully cover the costs associated with a traditional funeral and burial. I don’t want to push that burden onto my children or extended family. If my future financial state doesn’t meet my current expectations, I’d opt for cremation out of consideration for my loved ones.
That's the thing, the funeral business is a big one - lots of $$$ to be made.

We were already traumatized by the death, so going to the funeral home, going through the minutia of getting this casket, this burial cloth... etc etc was a blur.

After all was said and done the total cost was over $25,000 - that includes the burial plot, stone, the actual funeral etc.

This was a basic funeral. The casket was simple. There was a viewing day, then the next day was the burial.

I don't want to feed into this business. And my pragmatic side doesn't want to waste $$$.

For me, pay for the cremation, put be in a ziplock. Done.

The rest is just friends and family bringing my ashes to somewhere serene and full of birds and trees and a nice lake.

After going through the process I am a bit bitter about the funeral business TBH.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:39 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Burial is preferred. Christians bodies are going to come out of the ground and go to heaven.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:07 AM

171 posts, read 31,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And where did you get that idea?
Buddhism has an ugly element of violence and hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality