Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 03:43 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
Well it is the christian board and its what were taking about.If you don't believe the bible what are you doing here and why are you discussing it.So thats your answer just blow everything off as garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Sorry, but this is not a Christian board. This is a forum ABOUT Religion And Spirituality. We have lots of members that are not Christians.

Even out Christianity sub-forum is not a Christian board. It's there to discuss things having to do with Christianity, not limited to Christian views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You're pretty proud about that, aren't you?
Why would I be proud of that? It's just a statement of fact. That's as silly as saying "I sure am proud today is Thursday."

Old 03-28-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
How about the permissibility of book excerpts? I've already posted one or two in the past, and there didn't seem to be any backlash. I was planning on posting another in the A&A forum in the coming days
The rule was written by the owner of City-Data and has existed (AFAIK) since the forum was started in December of 2005. We're probably technically in violation sometimes when we allow posts to stand that have large portions quoted from the Bible or the Qur'an, but we haven't been corrected for doing so.

There is no allowance for fair use, public domain, permission to copy, etc. There is also no definition of what constitutes a "snippet." Some moderators use the idea of a snippet being 2 or 3 sentences. Sometimes, it seems to take 4 or 5 sentences to get the entire thought, so we usually allow that, too. Fundamentally, it means you aren't supposed to copy an entire wall of text and paste it here.

Here's another way to look at it. If somebody copies a paragraph of your post into a search engine and looks for verbatim responses, City-Data should be the first (or only) site with a verbatim copy of your post.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:35 PM

58 posts, read 8,581 times
The only thing I would agree with is the commonality I see across all religions new agers in the theology that humanity will be brought to a new level of existence a new understanding and the only thing we know is we will not be like what we are now.In Buddhism it is that goal to reach that enlightenment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 06:21 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
If people can't even come up with their own text / wording, they probably shouldn't bother posting here. Beyond the laws, it's not asking too much to create your own wording

Old 03-29-2024, 09:40 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Why would I be proud of that? It's just a statement of fact. That's as silly as saying "I sure am proud today is Thursday."
Just asking. You seemed to be enthusiastic about telling people your opinion on it.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Just asking. You seemed to be enthusiastic about telling people your opinion on it.
I don't have an opinion on it.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:23 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
If people can't even come up with their own text / wording, they probably shouldn't bother posting here. Beyond the laws, it's not asking too much to create your own wording
Some authors exhibit such profundity/depth of insight that it does them a disservice to paraphrase their arguments. I have zero problems stringing sentences of my own together, but if I want to bring an idea or set of ideas up for discussion, I'd prefer to remain faithful to the original source. This of course assumes that there's some novelty to the point(s) being made; if the insight is trite, then there's no need to quote any given person who's merely serving as part of an echo chamber. The specific passage I have in mind (in terms of wanting to post it at a future date) is a physicist's argument for hard atheism (ie, that god absolutely does not exist) based on a set of derivations from physics that seem original to him. As I am not myself a physicist, I cannot be certain of the arguments' originality, but it certainly never surfaced in the most popular New Atheist tracts (though I did encounter it in Christopher Hitchens' 'atheist anthology', 'The Portable Atheist')

Old 03-29-2024, 03:24 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
I don't have an opinion on it.
Yet, you've mentioned it to me before, and you did again here.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:55 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
The savior from Vietnam is Vietnamese food. Savor it.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:01 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Seems to me that for Christians, Muslims, and Bahai the question of the savior is kind of settled. For Jews the question is that of "the Messiah" which is not the same thing as the Christian and post-Christian understanding of the Savior.

No one knows where the next great prophet will come from. There have been many false prophets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality