Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 07:05 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a person verifies and validates for themself whatever the concept is on a given path of religion and spirituality.
it has nothing to do with proving anything to anyone else. going that route demonstrates that the person is missing the whole point of, well engaging in and practicing a path of religion and spirituality.
What it demonstrates is that you simply make religion about believing woo.

Oh, we don't need evidence. We just feel so warm and fuzzy inside. That's all we need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 07:21 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What it demonstrates is that you simply make religion about believing woo. Oh, we don't need evidence. We just feel so warm and fuzzy inside. That's all we need.
those are your words and beliefs.
not mine

and again you yourself said, "Stop worrying about proving what you cannot. And worry instead about principles."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-11-2024 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-11-2024, 07:46 PM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
Thank you for the warning. As soon as I find my tinfoil hat I will try some of this. It's important to be protected properly from any stray pre birth cosmic rays.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:11 PM

Quote:
those are your words and beliefs.
not mine

and again you yourself said, "Stop worrying about proving what you cannot. And worry instead about principles."
You weren't talking about principles. You were talking about reincarnation...which is either factual or it isn't.

You cannot believe everything that is taught in any religion.

For example, in the over-1,000 Buddhist temples I have visited in Thailand, I can't tell you how many chedis I have seen that supposedly contain the Buddha's breast bone. But wait a minute. Buddha was cremated to ashes. There couldn't be a remaining breast bone. And even if there was, why were there so many breast bones put in so many chedis? How could there be so many. YOU will love their answer: Buddhas bones (even though they were cremated) can magically reproduce themselves.

Woo.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:40 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
faith
/fāTH/
noun
complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"

strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Faith does not need proof. Any faith, based on proof, is science, not faith.
Yes, some of us simply have faith. Some of you, claiming to have faith, are convincing themselves, by constantly seeking proof. So their faith is - weak, or none. Just a mind game.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:47 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestPascal2024 View Post
As I've tried to demonstrate in my post, people are not coming back because they are "enamored and attached" to this physical plane. They are just told what to do by other beings (apparently) more powerful than then. This is also a similar theme in NDE's: the experiencer seldom cares about his earthly life, yet he's told he must go back to "fulfill a mission" or something of the sort.
Consider this: no one tells anyone to do things of such nature. To re exist (re incarnation is term appropriate only for those, who re exist as the same, incarnated, person. EG, Buddha, Dalai Lama) or not to re exist, is determined by one's destiny. One weaves his own destiny by his thinking, resulting in certain actions. Destiny, thus woven, is stamped by the mark of one, who thought it in and, by simple cause and effect principle, determines re existence, or none.
I have no idea, where did you get that idea that there are some, apparently, unfriendly beings, having some low interest in forcing human souls to re exist. But, hey! It's an idea, as good, as any other out there. You like it - all yours! As it will be given onto each one according to his faith!

Old 03-11-2024, 09:16 PM

Quote:
You weren't talking about principles. You were talking about reincarnation...which is either factual or it isn't. You cannot believe everything that is taught in any religion. For example, in the over-1,000 Buddhist temples I have visited in Thailand, I can't tell you how many chedis I have seen that supposedly contain the Buddha's breast bone. But wait a minute. Buddha was cremated to ashes. There couldn't be a remaining breast bone. And even if there was, why were there so many breast bones put in so many chedis? How could there be so many. YOU will love their answer: Buddhas bones (even though they were cremated) can magically reproduce themselves. Woo.
i don't see that this is discussing the principles of reincarnation.
or any aspect of reincarnation.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
faith
/fāTH/
noun
complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"

strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Faith does not need proof. Any faith, based on proof, is science, not faith.
Yes, some of us simply have faith. Some of you, claiming to have faith, are convincing themselves, by constantly seeking proof. So their faith is - weak, or none. Just a mind game.
I don't see Buddhism so much as a faith religion.

From Tricycle:

"What is the test of truth? The Buddha offers a simple formula: Test things in terms of cause and effect. Whatever is unskillful, leading to harm and ill, should be abandoned; whatever is skillful, leading to happiness and peace, should be pursued. Apply the test of skillfulness to all teachings in all your actions. Where is this teaching taking you? Is it moving you in a direction that is wise and kind? One quick test isn’t enough, you know. You have to keep at it, so that your sensitivity to the results of your actions grows more and more refined with practice. When you’ve done the hard work of asking these questions, then you can decide for yourself whether a teaching, or a teacher, is worth following. And at the same time, you’ve also taught yourself how to live—a learning that can bring with it joy and the energy to go even deeper."

– Larry Rosenberg, from “The Right to Ask Questions,” Tricycle, Fall 2003

Old 03-11-2024, 09:32 PM

Quote:
i don't see that this is discussing the principles of reincarnation.
or any aspect of reincarnation.
I'm sorry that it went over your head.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I don't see Buddhism so much as a faith religion.
From Tricycle:
"What is the test of truth? The Buddha offers a simple formula: Test things in terms of cause and effect. Whatever is unskillful, leading to harm and ill, should be abandoned; whatever is skillful, leading to happiness and peace, should be pursued. Apply the test of skillfulness to all teachings in all your actions. Where is this teaching taking you? Is it moving you in a direction that is wise and kind? One quick test isn’t enough, you know. You have to keep at it, so that your sensitivity to the results of your actions grows more and more refined with practice. When you’ve done the hard work of asking these questions, then you can decide for yourself whether a teaching, or a teacher, is worth following. And at the same time, you’ve also taught yourself how to live—a learning that can bring with it joy and the energy to go even deeper."
– Larry Rosenberg, from “The Right to Ask Questions,” Tricycle, Fall 2003
And for a great many people, both individually (individual beliefs) and collectively (as a group, as part of a specific path of religion and spirituality), reincarnation (topic of this thread) does indeed pass the "test of truth" that is described above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality