Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 07:36 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know the Buddhist viewpoint on this.

I am asking you how you personally know this...since you seem to be stating it as fact. Once again, you seem to portray yourself as the font of knowledge of every religion on earth. I want to know how you do that.
so then how does Buddhism know this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 08:41 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so then how does Buddhism know this?
I don't think Buddhism does "know this". I think it's a possibility.

But nice job avoiding the actual question.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I don't think Buddhism does "know this". I think it's a possibility.
But nice job avoiding the actual question.
so you identify as a Buddhist, but have a problem with one of the central core foundational doctrines of Buddhism which is ending the cycle of samsara and stepping of the wheel of incarnation.

why does it matter to you "how" this is known?

Old 03-10-2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
so you identify as a Buddhist, but have a problem with one of the core foundational principles of Buddhism which is ending the cycle of samsara and stepping of the wheel of incarnation.

why does it matter to you "how" they know this?
Whether it was when I was a christian, or now when I am a Buddhist, unlike you, I don't just accept everything that any religion offers. And people who do are simply not thinking.

One can accept most of the Four Noble Truths without necessarily believing that reincarnation is factual.

One can believe in karma while recognizing that different people define karma in different ways.

One can follow the Noble Eightfold Path without believing that reincarnation is factual.

And one can follow the Five Precepts faithfully without believing in reincarnation.

But I'll give you this challenge. Go ahead. Pick one person that you can PROVE has been reincarnated. Just one. Proof. Absolute proof. Not just what some scripture says. But absolute proof. And I give this same challenge to any christian...give me absolute proof -- not just some scripture -- that the Resurrection occurred. If you're honest -- instead of just playing at being a wooist -- you'll admit you can't prove either situation.

Or here's another challenge. Prove that all that is written in the Tpitaka is factual. Go ahead. Prove to all of us that there were 27 Buddhas (or more or less, depending on which branch of Buddhism you believe in) that lived before Gautama Buddha. You cannot.

But here's what anyone can do. Stop worrying about proving what YOU cannot. And worry instead about principles.

I'm going to close with a brief story of something that happened to me in Thailand. Not in a book...like your understanding of Buddhist. But instead actually sitting and talking to monks. I asked, "What if there is something in Buddhism that I don't believe in". The monk replied (with a longer dissertation than this): "Don't throw it away. Set it aside. You may come back to it later and reexamine what you believe and come to a different conclusion. But until then, work with what you can accept."

Old 03-10-2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Whether it was when I was a christian, or now when I am a Buddhist, unlike you, I don't just accept everything that any religion offers. And people who do are simply not thinking.
One can accept most of the Four Noble Truths without necessarily believing that reincarnation is factual.
One can believe in karma while recognizing that different people define karma in different ways.
One can follow the Noble Eightfold Path without believing that reincarnation is factual.
And one can follow the Five Precepts faithfully without believing in reincarnation.
But I'll give you this challenge. Go ahead. Pick one person that you can PROVE has been reincarnated. Just one. Proof. Absolute proof. Not just what some scripture says. But absolute proof. And I give this same challenge to any christian...give me absolute proof -- not just some scripture -- that the Resurrection occurred. If you're honest -- instead of just playing at being a wooist -- you'll admit you can't prove either situation.
Or here's another challenge. Prove that all that is written in the Tpitaka is factual. Go ahead. Prove to all of us that there were 27 Buddhas (or more or less, depending on which branch of Buddhism you believe in) that lived before Gautama Buddha. You cannot.
But here's what anyone can do. Stop worrying about proving what YOU cannot. And worry instead about principles.
I'm going to close with a brief story of something that happened to me in Thailand. Not in a book...like your understanding of Buddhist. But instead actually sitting and talking to monks. I asked, "What if there is something in Buddhism that I don't believe in". The monk replied (with a longer dissertation than this): "Don't throw it away. Set it aside. You may come back to it later and reexamine what you believe and come to a different conclusion. But until then, work with what you can accept."
so then, given the bold above,
why bother asking in a discussion of reincarnation "and you know this how"
Quote:
And you know this how?
instead of just getting on with the discussion of reincarnation: principles, elements, facets, process, mechanics, overview, details

Old 03-10-2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
so then, given the bold above,
why bother asking in a discussion of reincarnation "and you know this how"

instead of just getting on with the discussion of reincarnation: principles, elements, facets, process, mechanics, overview, details
Hey, why should I answer any of your questions when you rarely actually answer anyone else's questions.

I might remind you that I believe I had a past life experience. But believing that I did is not proof that I did.

Old 03-10-2024, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Hey, why should I answer any of your questions when you rarely actually answer anyone else's questions. I might remind you that I believe I had a past life experience. But believing that I did is not proof that I did.
you just said proof is irrelevant and to focus on principles. You said, "Stop worrying about proving what you cannot. And worry instead about principles." so for this thread topic, principles of reincarnation.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:57 PM

Quote:
you just said proof is irrelevant and to focus on principles. You said, "Stop worrying about proving what you cannot. And worry instead about principles." so for this thread topic, principles of reincarnation.
You see...you keep avoiding answering questions that are put to you. It's plain dishonest.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:25 AM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Atheists do not realize that their consciousness is connected to and part of God's consciousness. What they THINK can contain influences (what is called inspiration, intuition, etc.) of God. It is useful in a discussion to hear what others think about any phenomenon. In this topic, reincarnation may provide insights into the afterlife even if reincarnation itself is not necessarily the truth of it. The limitation to what we can prove can be distracting but not unimportant as a consideration (or I wouldn't have spent decades trying to do just that with my experience).

Old 03-11-2024, 06:46 PM

a person verifies and validates for themself whatever the concept is on a given path of religion and spirituality.
it has nothing to do with proving anything to anyone else. going that route demonstrates that the person is missing the whole point of, well engaging in and practicing a path of religion and spirituality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality