Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2023, 12:27 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
This reminded me of something that happened a few years ago.

I was on my way to work and I always stop to get breakfast at Hardee's drive-thru on the way. Always. For some reason, I didn't stop that day, and I just went in to work and sat down. About an hour later, I had an overwhelming urge to get up and go back to Hardee's. There were several other breakfast places where I could go, much closer to work, even right across the street, but it had to be Hardee's. I got there and immediately pulled in to park. Which is something I NEVER do. Eve nif there's a long line of cars, my butt is gonna sit in the Jeep and wait for my turn to order.

I go in and there's two huge lines, but I stand there anyway. I overhear a guy in the line next to me mumbling into his phone, "Please pick up, please pick up," and he sounded so despondent. He kept hanging up and dialing again. We get to the front of the line and I lean over and tell the cashier in front of him, "Two sausage biscuits and a large coffee for him," I pay for it, and get out of the line. I have no idea where this comes from. I normally order the fried bologna and Velveeta biscuit or a Frisco breakfast sandwich.

I touch his shoulder and tell him I got his breakfast, and when he looks at me I just nod my head towards the dining room. I get his order and bring it to him at the table, and I ask him if he's okay. He says yes and then chuckles a little when he pulls his order out of the bag and tells me it is exactly what he orders for breakfast anywhere he goes.

He's trying to get ahold of his grandson who is 12 and sick at home alone. He starts to tear up and he says his daughter died of cancer last year, and he has custody of his grandson now, and his wife had just died suddenly the day before, and he was having to do the arrangements alone, and now he was worried about his grandson.

I ask where he lives, because I could go myself and check on him, and then the phone rang and it was his grandson. He was okay, he had just been asleep and hadn't heard the phone ring. The man started crying and said okay and that he would be home in a little while, and hung up. So I got up and sat next to him and hugged him hard, and we sat there for a long time while he just sobbed, and of course I was crying too by then. He finally composes himself and he thanks me, and we walk out to the parking lot, and I had parked right next to him.

I asked him if he was gonna be okay, did I need to go look after his grandson, or should I come with him to make the arrangements? Whatever he needed, I was going to do. He said no, and then said thank you again, and I said no problem. Then he said, "No. Really. I am so glad you came here. You have no idea what I was going to do today." I hugged him again and tried to give him my phone number and he shook his head, smiled, and said he was okay now.

I can't explain any of the actions I took that morning, I only know that they happened. I came back to work without breakfast and I told my coworkers what happened and they all were shocked. I don't know what he meant by what he said, if I saved that man's life or just helped in some small way or even if I'm being dramatic, but it felt very powerful, and to this day brings me to tears remembering it. I hope that guy and his grandson are okay.
WOW! Love, love LOVE hearing stories like this! Can I ask if you were Christian during that time or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 12:40 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

Honestly I'd like to share my stories but a lot of them are pretty painful memories and I don't want to see them crapped all over. Neither do I like seeing ANYBODY's personal stories being crapped all over whether people believe they are true or not.
The mods did come in and delete a bunch of hateful posts already. Just report the posts and the moderator will handle them. Please share!

Old 12-07-2023, 12:46 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Read the title. Stay on topic.

Old 12-07-2023, 12:48 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
WOW! Love, love LOVE hearing stories like this! Can I ask if you were Christian during that time or not?

Yes, but I don't think about it in that way. I've always considered myself more spiritual instead of religious. I'm a lapsed Catholic and I do believe in a divine being and a heaven, although as you've seen from my other stories, I think other people in my life that have passed are my angels.

Old 12-07-2023, 01:45 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I have known the Lord since I was 7 years old.
My home is a constant stream of interventions of God in my live, probably more than most preachers see in a lifetime.
I grew up in the 50s and 60s and avoided the snags most young people fell into then.
Laying hands on the sick and injured is one of the great blessings of being involved in ministry.
Some folks need to come to desperation before seeking God's intervention.
Some are regular seeking their own and those of other's needs.
One does not operate God; one cooperates with God. There are no magic words or actions to make things happen, God's will/direction is of primary importance.
Not that men have not had results, neglecting to seek God's will, Jesus name has power, but successful abuse does not certify one to be in God's will.
The unsaved can call on Jesus' name, but until His Lordship is active in them, calling him Lord does not make it so.
Jesus said, "Blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled."
This is not a casual relationship.
This is not ritual and religion.
Works or gifts men generate on their own or in a group do not prove anything, except "that faith" is based non works, not relationship, obedience.
Though one fools men even one's self, God is not fooled.
Works matter, but they are of obedience via the Holy Spirit Jesus alone provides.
Jesus warns of deceivers even performing Miracles deceiving even the elect if it were possible.
I could re-gale you with many stories of bringing back from near death and straitening backs and healing the desperately sick, even being lifted back on the roof I fell from I was working, and many other events, but more importantly you need to get serious with God, repent of the rebellion you've harbored and seek Jesus Lordship in your life.
God is a rewarder of them that desperately seek Him.

Old 12-07-2023, 02:05 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Would LOVE to read your stories, Cruithne...

Perhaps start a blog through CD...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
The mods did come in and delete a bunch of hateful posts already. Just report the posts and the moderator will handle them. Please share!
Okay thank you both.
All my stores are related to personal tragedy or adversity one way or another, as seems common when things like this happen.

I have lots of examples so I'll post two of them to start with. I'll do my best to keep them short.
These two are about the deaths of my parents, and somewhat similar.

My Dad died of lung cancer when I was about 21 and I had already left home. When I knew he was dying I went home for a visit. My mother and her sister were downstairs and I went up to his bedroom to sit with him. He was unconscious and I took him by the hand and talked to him. I could see he needed to go. I was the only person in the room and I don't know what came over me - I gently told him we were all okay and he didn't need to worry about anything and he could go. And with that he passed away. I'd never seen anybody die before. I don't know how I had the presence of mind to do that or if he could even hear me. But the life peacefully left his body.
I sat for a while and then headed downstairs to tell my mother and my aunt that my Dad had passed away. Not long after, the phone rang (landline in those days). It was a friend of my mothers - a lady who was housebound and that my mother would go and sit with occasionally. She called to say - and I remember the exact words - that she had 'just got an outside message' that my Dad passed away and called to offer her sympathies. This was literally minutes later. Nobody had even left the house.
My mother honestly didn't seem at all surprised by this phone call and said this lady was a spiritual person who often got these types of messages. Honestly I just didn't know what to make of it. I still don't.

About 10 years later I was also with my mother when she died. This time it was in a hospice and my brother was also present. Since I'd been present at the death of my father I sort of knew what to expect and told my brother that the time was near. Similarly we both sat with her holding her hands while she passed.
A few years later our family was subject to terrible circumstances when my toddler son got Leukemia and my daughter was a newborn baby - literally (the circumstances around that are another whole story of seemingly cosmic intersections that I might share in another post).
Anyway because of all the constant hospital visits I was forced to temporarily employ a Nanny to come in and look after my daughter while I took my son to hospital.
One day I was standing in the hallway by my front door with my coat on to give instructions to the Nanny. She stopped me and asked if I minded if she passed on a message - she said it had been going around and around in her head and she had to tell me. I said okay. She said she had to pass on the words: 'I'm proud'. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck as I could see my mothers face as she said the words. I had to sit down on the stairs. I was really disconcerted by this. I didn't really get along with my mother - we clashed a lot. But she always signed her cards with the words 'I'm proud'. I asked the Nanny what the heck she meant. She said she just often got messages in her head that she felt compelled to pass on. She didn't know who they were from but she had to just get them out. She was very apologetic when she saw my reaction.

I spoke to everybody I knew about this incident, trying to work out whether this woman was a fraud or what her intentions were. Almost without exception everybody just told me to accept it for whatever it is.
And I want to state, that contrary to popular belief, a lot of those people were also atheists who then also shared their own similar stories with me. I don't know, maybe we breed a different kind of atheist in the UK but it seems everyone had a similar story to share.
Make of it what you will. I don't know what to make of it.

I have other stories but I'll leave it here for now.
I might share some of my atheist friends and relatives stories that I mentioned as well.

Last edited by Cruithne; 12-07-2023 at 03:16 PM..

Old 12-07-2023, 02:58 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have known the Lord since I was 7 years old.
My home is a constant stream of interventions of God in my live, probably more than most preachers see in a lifetime.
I grew up in the 50s and 60s and avoided the snags most young people fell into then.
Laying hands on the sick and injured is one of the great blessings of being involved in ministry.
Some folks need to come to desperation before seeking God's intervention.
Some are regular seeking their own and those of other's needs.
One does not operate God; one cooperates with God. There are no magic words or actions to make things happen, God's will/direction is of primary importance.
Not that men have not had results, neglecting to seek God's will, Jesus name has power, but successful abuse does not certify one to be in God's will.
The unsaved can call on Jesus' name, but until His Lordship is active in them, calling him Lord does not make it so.
Jesus said, "Blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled."
This is not a casual relationship.
This is not ritual and religion.
Works or gifts men generate on their own or in a group do not prove anything, except "that faith" is based non works, not relationship, obedience.
Though one fools men even one's self, God is not fooled.
Works matter, but they are of obedience via the Holy Spirit Jesus alone provides.
Jesus warns of deceivers even performing Miracles deceiving even the elect if it were possible.
I could re-gale you with many stories of bringing back from near death and straitening backs and healing the desperately sick, even being lifted back on the roof I fell from I was working, and many other events, but more importantly you need to get serious with God, repent of the rebellion you've harbored and seek Jesus Lordship in your life.
God is a rewarder of them that desperately seek Him.
hmmmmmm

Old 12-07-2023, 04:47 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
hmmmmmm
Except the rebellious, right?

There's a viral video making the rounds right now of Liam Neeson portraying some guy applying for the job of Santa at the Mall. The camera is rolling and he starts to recite the "better be good, you better not pout ..." lyrics but with his signature ominous voice. "I'm making a list and checking it ... TWICE ... (pause for emphasis)" ... the interviewer says, can you lighten it up a little? And he says no I don't think that's right, Santa is this Eye of Swift Retribution in the sky that sees all ... the interviewer says, "yeah but he brings toys to boys and girls". And Neeson looks deadpan into the camera, pauses just the right length of time, and shakes his head: "Not the naughty ones".

So it seems to be with a lot of believers. God rewarded me, so if he didn't reward you, you have sin to repent of. Simples.

Oh well.

Old 12-07-2023, 05:08 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Except the rebellious, right?

There's a viral video making the rounds right now of Liam Neeson portraying some guy applying for the job of Santa at the Mall. The camera is rolling and he starts to recite the "better be good, you better not pout ..." lyrics but with his signature ominous voice. "I'm making a list and checking it ... TWICE ... (pause for emphasis)" ... the interviewer says, can you lighten it up a little? And he says no I don't think that's right, Santa is this Eye of Swift Retribution in the sky that sees all ... the interviewer says, "yeah but he brings toys to boys and girls". And Neeson looks deadpan into the camera, pauses just the right length of time, and shakes his head: "Not the naughty ones".

So it seems to be with a lot of believers. God rewarded me, so if he didn't reward you, you have sin to repent of. Simples.

Oh well.
And how did you want God to react differently, if he exists of course?

Old 12-07-2023, 08:30 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'd be interested to read these MQ. I'll go on the hunt on the Pagan forum and see if I can find what you wrote.
Here is one, Cruithne.

The fiance died March 11, as you know. In June, I went up to the lake house to retrieve my all-weather tires from his garage, since I was still driving on snows. I stayed for a few days.

The first day, I walked to the edge of the water, which was swarming with dragonflies. He always liked them, considered them a totem of sorts, since they are creatures attached to the water but don't live in it. One of them landed on my shoulder and just sat there. My instinct was to brush it off, but I stopped myself and just looked at it and I actually said out loud, feeling silly, "Hey, F, is that you?" It stayed for a minute or two, then took off. I felt as if I'd had a pleasant moment, then went on and forgot about it.

In August, my best friend treated me to a visit with a psychic she likes for my birthday. I had one bizarrely shocking experience with a psychic once who knew something from my childhood most of my friends don't even know and was weirdly specific, and I have had the usual ho-hum readings ("you are in a period of transition" - yeah, aren't we all.) But I was up for it.

I wasn't looking for any messages. In fact, I wasn't even going to mention the death except that when she asked me what questions I had, I told her of the loss not only of him but of my plans to move from my home and live there, which was a huge change in environment and lifestyle for me. So, the question was, more or less, what do I do now? The answer was close the door on that part of life and move forward, which really doesn't take a psychic, but I was pulling cards, and she was fitting them in and it was all quite a good conversation. I recorded to relisten, especially as she has a heavy Italian accent and I knew I was missing some words.

I got up to leave, thanked her and walked toward the door. She said, "Wait." I stopped. "I hear tings." I waited some more. She said, "He wants me to tell you. You were near the water--a beach or a river or a lake--and he came to you there. He came as a-a-a-(like she was trying to remember the word) a dragonfly. He told me to tell you that."

That was not the only "message". There was another, much later, a little weirder, in fact, humorous, from a different practioner of woo.

I don't know what the answer to this is, but yes, I do believe something goes on past our body's death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality