Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 12:30 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times

Advertisements

We often hear that Christianity is the biggest source of Atheism in the western world.

There are also some very strong indications that Trinity is a made up concept that was rolled out long after Jesus left the scene. This was not the part of Jesus’s original message. There is no word “Trinity” in the Bible while the ENTIRE base of modern day Christianity is staked on this philosophy.

I guess the question to Atheists, who were former Christians, is; do you think it’s a false concept that is flawed to the core and has been failing the test of time?

Old 12-04-2023, 03:05 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Yes, it is a flawed concept that was added in John.

As a former Catholic, I think Christianity was invented by Paul of Tarsus. Most of the NT was written by him.

Protestant denominations and especially Evangelicals are ignorant of history and the Bible too. There are so many contradictions it’s appalling. But they continue to pick and choose as it suits them.

I do believe Evangelicals are the biggest source of atheists at this time. Their political meddling is revolting.

Old 12-04-2023, 04:56 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
The Trinity is not part of Unitarianism, Oneness Pentecostals, Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.

Political meddling for better or worse has a long tradition in the US; when future presidents Monroe and Madison ran against each other for Congress in 1789 (the only time two future presidents ran against each other for a Congressional seat) they appealed to different Protestant sects. The religious issue (there were other issues also) was the role of the Protestant Episcopal Church (formerly Church of England) in VA.

Governor Patrick Henry backed Monroe; they wanted to keep the Episcopal Church's dominent status; Madison appealed to Baptists and other dissenting sects with the promise of an amendment (the future 1st Amendment). Madison won, Henry's domination of Virginia politics was ended, and legislation passed in 1802 authorized selling the last of the glebe lands used to support the Episcopal Church in VA.

Last edited by webster; 12-04-2023 at 05:45 AM..

Old 12-04-2023, 07:56 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

As a former Catholic, I think Christianity was invented by Paul of Tarsus. Most of the NT was written by him.

Protestant denominations and especially Evangelicals are ignorant of history and the Bible too. There are so many contradictions it’s appalling. But they continue to pick and choose as it suits them.

I do believe Evangelicals are the biggest source of atheists at this time. Their political meddling is revolting.
Could not have said this better, especially about the Fundamental, Evangelical Christians. It is revolting and they have meddled to their own detriment. I have actually changed my whole political view after the overturn of R. Vs. W. I could not believe it. They think they are gaining speed because of the loud radicals, but the numbers have dwindled to where that's all that is left of Fundamental Christianity.....twisted radical nut jobs.

The other source is knowledge. Common sense, Being "woke" from the fantasy world, and putting yourself outside the religion arena is the only way to remove the religious blinders.

I can attest to the fact that the Fundamentalists are causing this mass exit from Christianity. The harder they pushed the more I pushed back. I am sort of glad that they are the way they are, it made me question, so whatever it takes to bring people to reality is a good thing. If it's twisted and doesn't make a lick of sense, then one should question it. Question everything.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:25 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:

I've come to that same conclusion myself after much reading.

There was an early Christian sect that only used Paul and Luke writings and no gospels.
No specific sect was named but I suspect it was the orthodox Christians (future RCC).

And in many of the letter to each other the Bishops quoted Paul/Luke quite a number of times.

I always wondered why the majority of the NT was Paul/Luke when it's supposed to be all about Jesus and HIS message.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:34 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
We often hear that Christianity is the biggest source of Atheism in the western world.

There are also some very strong indications that Trinity is a made up concept that was rolled out long after Jesus left the scene. This was not the part of Jesus’s original message. There is no word “Trinity” in the Bible while the ENTIRE base of modern day Christianity is staked on this philosophy.

I guess the question to Atheists, who were former Christians, is; do you think it’s a false concept that is flawed to the core and has been failing the test of time?
To begin with, "We often hear that...". I never heard that.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:42 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:

You got that right!

Old 12-04-2023, 10:14 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
I would challenge former Christians in that most didn't truly deep dive into understanding what is in the Scriptures. I say this because most Christians today don't. If we look in the OT, I would say it is absolutely clear there is a plurality sense to God's Oneness. Take a look at Gideon, who thought he would die because he saw the Angel of the Lord face to face. God told Moses no one would see His face and live. So if Gideon thought he would die, he must be equating God's Angel with God. Then in Daniel, we see one like "the Son of Man", riding the clouds of heaven. There is a rabbinical teaching going back to 200 BC, talking about "The Two Powers in Heaven". This steaming from Daniel's vision. We also read OT Scripture where God speaks of "His Spirit", and He also speaks of "His Angel". So the concept of the Trinity (or something similar like the Two Powers) isn't something developed by Christianity. Its there already in the OT.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:15 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:

I do not think any specific religious belief or doctrine is the cause of atheism. When I was an atheist, NONE of that religious nonsense made any sense to me! It certainly did not justify submitting to the rules supposedly divinely revealed to other humans by some unseen supernatural dictator OR ELSE! The suggestions about the imposition of such religious rules on society by the political manipulations of fundamentalist believers has a ring of truth to me.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:22 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
I've never heard that before, and that's with 60 years on this planet. BOGUS

But, I find the concept of the trinity also bogus. Hey, much of what get kicked around as supposedly tied with Christianity is bogus too. Very little is accurate, and that's just the Gospels. The cards are stacked against it, and many will lose chasing the more common inaccurate stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.