Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:56 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

One Christian concept I've always found confusing is the trinity, which is apparently God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit (aka The Holy Ghost). Can someone explain the relationship between them and what roles they perform? Jesus is clearly viewed as the son of God so that would mean that until about 2,000 years ago Jesus didn't exist so there couldn't have been a trinity prior to his birth. I noticed that someone posted that it was the Holy Spirit that actually caused Mary to become pregnant. I always thought that it was supposed to be God, what do believers think about that? Also, did God create the Holy Spirit and what exactly is The Holy Spirit anyway? The activities of God and Jesus are talked about in great detail in the Bible but what does the Holy Spirit do? It just seems to be something vague that is never explained.
My other question is about satan. Maybe it's just the stuff of movies but I've often heard of satan as being a part of a trinity. I guess that would be satan, the antichrist and some opposing force to The Holy Spirit. You all know I'm not a believer but I'm curious about how Christians understand the trinity and if it has an opposite that could be called a satanic trinity. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 04:05 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
According to some Christians, the Holy Spirit was what influenced the writers of the Bible.

As far as there being a Satan trinity, I don't know. I do know that the Satanism that is accepted as a religion these days has nothing to do with the one in Christianity. LeVeyan Satanism is an atheistic religion. To them, "Satan" represents a person who is normal and has done things that are wrong just like everybody else. Essentially someone who acknowledges the fact that they aren't perfect and don't try to act like it.

By the way, if there is a Satan trinity, it would be different depending on who you ask. For fundamentalists, it would probably be atheists, scientists, and the people who wrote the First Amendment.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

what exactly is The Holy Spirit anyway?

what does the Holy Spirit do?

Hey! Dear, sweet man: You been listening to music lately, too?

If you find the band, (that's doubtful) let June know!

Old 03-27-2008, 04:24 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
June wrote:
Quote:
Hey! Dear, sweet man: You been listening to music lately, too?
You're confusing The Holy Spirit with Distilled Spirits my love.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:45 PM

22 posts, read 48,744 times
The Satanic Trinity consists of The Phalse Prophet, Anti-Christ and Satan.

The trinity of the All Mighty is listed below.
The Godhead consists of three distinct Persons, yet these three are one. What does this mean?
It is written: I Jn 5:7-FOR THERE ARE THREE THAT BEAR RECORD IN HEAVEN, THE FATHER, THE WORD, AND THE HOLY GHOST: AND THESE THREE ARE ONE.
Jn 10:30-I AND MY FATHER ARE ONE.

Click Link!

http://www.amazingbible.org/Documents/Doctrines/Trinity.htm

Old 03-27-2008, 05:08 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One Christian concept I've always found confusing is the trinity, which is apparently God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit (aka The Holy Ghost). Can someone explain the relationship between them and what roles they perform? Jesus is clearly viewed as the son of God so that would mean that until about 2,000 years ago Jesus didn't exist so there couldn't have been a trinity prior to his birth. I noticed that someone posted that it was the Holy Spirit that actually caused Mary to become pregnant. I always thought that it was supposed to be God, what do believers think about that? Also, did God create the Holy Spirit and what exactly is The Holy Spirit anyway? The activities of God and Jesus are talked about in great detail in the Bible but what does the Holy Spirit do? It just seems to be something vague that is never explained.
My other question is about satan. Maybe it's just the stuff of movies but I've often heard of satan as being a part of a trinity. I guess that would be satan, the antichrist and some opposing force to The Holy Spirit. You all know I'm not a believer but I'm curious about how Christians understand the trinity and if it has an opposite that could be called a satanic trinity. What do you think?
Re: the Trinity. God is simultaneously one person and three distinct persons. Jesus is coeternal with God the Father, but was made incarnate via the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary. As far as the roles of each, God the Father is generally seen as the creator and lawgiver, Jesus as the redeemer and fulfiller of the law, and the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the son (unless you're Greek Orthodox) and works within the hearts of men. This is very much a nutshell view, and there are exceptions, but I'm not going to type that much.

I'll go on record to say that there is no Satanic trinity in the sense of the Triune Godhead, as Satan is a different type of being from God. Christianity isn't like classic dualism in this sense.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:24 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,684 times
The Trinity is not exactly spelled out word for word in the Bible. for example the word "trinity" is not in the bible. However is does exist. This is how I understand it and I have been a Christian born again believer for 15 yrs ( just so you have my "credentials")
God the Father, Jesus Christ the Messiah, and The Holy Spirit (ghost). they are all one, here are some analogies, I am Renee: a daughter, wife and mother. 3 different roles but the same person, I was the daughter before I was the wife and the wife before the mother. ( analogy not perfect). I have aslo heard it put like this; H20: ice, liquid and gas. when I was child it was explained as this: an apple pie cut into 3 pieces, under the crust all th apples squish together but from the top its 3 pieces of 1 pie.

as to who came first...this requires simple faith in the bible ( to believe it is the infallable word of God- meaning if you dont..you might not "see it that way") as I explain what is to follow:
genesis 1: 1-31 ( before Eve was created) the creation of the earth. especially versus 1 and 26. "In the beginning God created....." and "Then God said 'Let us make man in our image...."
John 1:1-5 "In th beginning was the Word ( its capatilized) and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning." this is talking about Jesus.
from my personal relationship with Jesus and faith in Him, I believe God and Jesus are the same. One being the Father and one being the Son.( faith part) It does not make sense scientifically. ( God is beyond our 'finite' minds).
genesis 1:2 "and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." again the begining had all 3. the Word (Jesus), the Spirit, and God ( I AM).
The Trinity if the belief that all 3 are one in the same.
God= our creator
Jesus= the Way to God
Holy Spirit= the spirit of God guiding us here on earth. John 14:26 " But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name(Jesus) will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." ( Jesus talking to his desciples before the crucifixion).

since the Trinity emcompasses God, I'm not sure there is an equal with satan. If you use the same analogy....maybe..the bible teaches that satan posesses the anti-christ and influences others. but then you 'd have to put satan=with God (which btw is what he satan strives for) which is impossible since satan is a creation of God.

Its kinda hard to answer your questions in a short reply..hope this helps.
again it is my persrective, other "christian" religions may differ here or there, that is why I gave credentials, so you can compare responses.

Some things may have been left out but this is the quickest-big-picture I could give you.
xoxoxox

Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I believe the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, are all three God in different forms. Yes there will be an unholy trinity, satan, the beast, and the antichrist.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
in Catholic school we were taught:
the father=God
the son=Jesus
the Holy Spirit=God in the form of spirit

but all three are one in the same

i know, one of the many contradictions and confusions. i truly love catholisism even if i will never get my answers

Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,789 times
The Trinity is tricky to comprehend, but then again the 4th spatial (or 5th) dimension is pretty tough to comprehend as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality