Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 09:37 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times

Advertisements

I was taught that God was an invisible man living in the sky, or possibly “everywhere” aka omnipresent. It seemed to depend on the latest sermon or Bible passage.

The old man with white hair was more symbolic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 09:45 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Scripture says that Ezekiel saw something like a platform supporting God’s throne, and on the throne was “a likeness with the appearance of a man” (Ezekiel 1:26).
He went on, “From the appearance of His waist and upward I saw, as it were, the color of amber with the appearance of fire all around within it; and from the appearance of His waist and downward I saw, as it were, the appearance of fire with brightness all around” (verse 27).
We may get a clearer image of this spectacular scene by reading it in the New International Version. It renders this verse, “I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him.”
Ezekiel related that mind-blowing sight—God and His heavenly entourage—as best he could with the vocabulary available to him. From the description he managed to convey, it becomes obvious why God expressly forbids reducing Him to a mere physical, artistic representation (Exodus 20:4-6). No one can box the glory of Almighty God into a picture frame or carve it into some rock. That’s blasphemy.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:11 PM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I certainly don't. Where did that idea come from anyway, and how did that idea start?
Our Father in Heaven ...

Ancient Christians believed the heavens were in the sky, we are in Gods image, and he is the oldest entity possible, therefore an old man in the sky.

Quote:
I think God is energy
A more modern idea.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:27 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Certainly the Bible tells us that God lives in the sky. The Old Man part probably came because they had to make him look like something or somebody. Some people say he looks like Charlie Heston, others George Burns. Could be Boris Karloff, Guy Kibbie... Could be anybody.
Guy Kibbie. Now you're really showing your age!

Old 06-20-2023, 02:12 AM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
I certainly don't. Where did that idea come from anyway, and how did that idea start? Does the old man have a white beard and look like Charlton Heston who played Moses in the movies? I think God is energy
The idea was generated from the Bible which says that Adam, the first man, was made in God's image. The inference is that God is therefore a bipedal, upright walking man with opposable thumbs and two eyes, like the rest of us. It is counter intuitive, but that is the inference. Since God has existed forever, he is depicted as an old man for human understanding, which can't otherwise conceive of God as a shapeless energy life force.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:10 AM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Quote:
I certainly don't. Where did that idea come from anyway, and how did that idea start? Does the old man have a white beard and look like Charlton Heston who played Moses in the movies? I think God is energy

The image of god as an old man in the sky really took hold during the Renaissance, specifically with Michelangelo's depiction in the Sistine Chapel. There had been images before this of god at various ages but Michelangelo's Creation of Adam cemented the old man with the beard version into Christian culture .

https://www.thesistinechapel.org/the-creation-of-adam

Old 06-20-2023, 07:29 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
The age and white beard more likely represents knowledge and wisdom.
The impulse to worship Divinity, energy, the unmanifest, requires an object of worship. That object can range from a clump of sandalwood paste to represent Ganesha (as in worship in Hinduism) to icons and paintings to represent power, wisdom, love and mercy. This representation can be God, a supreme being and it can also represent the Divinity, Atma, the Self that resides within.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:43 AM

551 posts, read 190,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The age and white beard more likely represents knowledge and wisdom.
The impulse to worship Divinity, energy, the unmanifest, requires an object of worship. That object can range from a clump of sandalwood paste to represent Ganesha (as in worship in Hinduism) to icons and paintings to represent power, wisdom, love and mercy. This representation can be God, a supreme being and it can also represent the Divinity, Atma, the Self that resides within.
Not for a Jnani.

Granted that is a difficult path for one not so inclined by nature and nurture.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:55 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
BTW, the original "god" in Judaism, Christianity is offshoot off, has no imaging. Just like in Islam, picturing "god" is blasphemy.

Also, "god" as and old man with white beard was depicted as such way before Michelangelo. East Roman empire was full of such images.
CB is right. Simple minds need an "object" of worship, not some vague philosophical concept, understood only by scholars. Human mind is very substantial, so to speak, as that's its function - junction between the physical and "spiritual" components of a human being. That need for objectification of "god" is fulfilled in all kinds of imagery and religious tokens, sold to public. Besides, it's rather a very profitable business.

Old 06-20-2023, 08:01 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Not for a Jnani.

Granted that is a difficult path for one not so inclined by nature and nurture.
Does’nt a Jnani aknowledge the Divinity within? We experience duality while IN advaita. Cant help it as long as we have the body and mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality