Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 09:57 PM

426 posts, read 160,221 times

Advertisements

What does it say? The US is a country that has freedom of religion, and thus not everyone has to believe in Christianity or partake in Christian churches and prayers. That's what it says.

I am an ExChristian and although I would have recognized the phrases I wouldn't have been able to recall the title of it. I haven't been to church in nearly two decades. No need for me to know such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 06:38 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The KJV is based on the Textus Receptus which contains known errors -- more than 800 of them -- because Erasmus was incompetent.
That doesn't stop the fringe "KJV Only" traditionalist crowd from claiming that god not only inspires the original manuscripts, but specific translations. Or really, translation singular, as they are happy to push the KJV as "god's inspired translation for the English speaking peoples" while unironically ignoring that god appears not to have inspired a translation, for, say, the Romanian speaking peoples. When pressed on this, they will say, well, that is not for me to say, it is between god and the Romanians. In other words I don't care about non-apex out-groups and probably neither does god.

These guys practically worship the Textus Receptus and uniformly demonize, e.g., the much more complete and up to date (relatively speaking) corpi such as Westcott & Hort. They are just Satanic plots to deprive people of the Truth, dontcha know!

Old 06-18-2023, 06:40 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,809,208 times
Through Google, learned only 52% believe in Jesus Christ, a minority read the Bible daily.

As a prodigal, grateful HE found me, think of the words to Amazing Grace, Google if you do not know the words.

IF you have exciting events, don't you like to share with others ? Jesus, taking my penalty for my sin is the most Awesome news of my life !

Old 06-18-2023, 07:07 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Through Google, learned only 52% believe in Jesus Christ, a minority read the Bible daily.

As a prodigal, grateful HE found me, think of the words to Amazing Grace, Google if you do not know the words.

IF you have exciting events, don't you like to share with others ? Jesus, taking my penalty for my sin is the most Awesome news of my life !
It just feels so warm and fuzzy

Old 06-18-2023, 08:24 PM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If there is a message - these are supposed to be the educated people in society, and they don't know the basics of the basics about His Word.

To me it's another indicator of why this country is heading in the direction its heading. The majority ignore of people ignore Him - so He has removed Himself from our midst and allowed us on the road to self-destruction.

As far as Jeopardy itself - even the staff was embarrassed at the entire episode.

Embarrassed ‘Jeopardy’ Producer Finally Addresses Recent Episode Where All Three Contestants Missed A Stunning 23 Questions, Asks Viewers To “Forget It Ever Happenedâ€
I think that is a fair interpretation. But the flip side is that I bet that if I had to go on that trivia show.....I'd look like a major fool to millions of people too for not knowing the questions that they got right!

I think religion and its importance is on the decline as we become focused on more and more materialistic things including social media. I try to instill in my boys....as young as they are....a love of Jesus's life...love and serving others.

Last edited by QuakerBaker; 06-18-2023 at 08:34 PM..

Old 06-18-2023, 08:42 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,809,208 times
phetarol,

Warm and fuzzy, bless I am. The LORD'S prayer, for me is a Daily prayer. As I choose to walk with Him. Deliver us from evil, (the evil one.)

Reminds me to claim G-D'S numerous promises. Jesus said "I have told you these things, so that in me you have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart ! I have overcome the world." John 16:33 (NIV)

Old 06-19-2023, 10:07 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
What does it say? The US is a country that has freedom of religion, and thus not everyone has to believe in Christianity or partake in Christian churches and prayers. That's what it says.
I wouldn't dispute that, but it is a trivia game show.

I'm all for trivializing alleged scriptural works.

Even so, some things are universal. It would not be inappropriate to ask when Mohammed took flight, or what city to Muslim pilgrims visit, or what year did the eastern world wise up and stop taking orders from an idiot in Rome.

That is history/trivia whether people like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That doesn't stop the fringe "KJV Only" traditionalist crowd from claiming that god not only inspires the original manuscripts, but specific translations. Or really, translation singular, as they are happy to push the KJV as "god's inspired translation for the English speaking peoples" while unironically ignoring that god appears not to have inspired a translation, for, say, the Romanian speaking peoples. When pressed on this, they will say, well, that is not for me to say, it is between god and the Romanians. In other words I don't care about non-apex out-groups and probably neither does god.

These guys practically worship the Textus Receptus and uniformly demonize, e.g., the much more complete and up to date (relatively speaking) corpi such as Westcott & Hort. They are just Satanic plots to deprive people of the Truth, dontcha know!
I was wrong. Sort of.

It isn't 800+ errors it's 1,838 errors in the Textus Receptus.

There's only one complete work and that's Codex Sinaiticus.

All the other manuscripts are incomplete but even testaments translated by other groups only use 12 manuscripts --about 4% of the total manuscripts -- because those 12 conflict the least.

There's one bible, and I can't remember the name, but at least they have the common courtesy and decency to put footnotes saying this verse conflicts with all of these manuscripts and it is omitted from all of these manuscripts.

Many of the conflicts are disciples and places meaning the incident was reported in two different places with different disciples present.

It's clear the 12 disciples weren't with Jesus 100% of the time. I don't know where they were. Maybe they were shopping.

Old 06-19-2023, 04:32 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It just feels so warm and fuzzy
Makes a fellow behave better, too.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:44 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Makes a fellow behave better, too.
Religion does have an important function of providing structure for people who can't provide it for themselves.

My oldest brother (now no longer with us) was such a person in his youth. Hung out with "the Wrong Crowd" (Navy drinking buddies). Came home, barfed on the steps, passed out. Alarmed my parents. Probably alarmed himself, truth be told.

Then he met fundamentalist Christians who provided him with a ready-made ruleset and positive reinforcement for different behaviors, and were wiling to let him "join" with them in common cause. Now he had structure, direction, acceptance, affirmation for living in a certain way that quit alarming the parents. In fact he now had a way to accept that his previous debauchery (probably not all that big a deal as everyone made it out to be, but who knows -- HE had trouble living it down anyway) was now resolved as he had been "saved" from it and given a new godly nature.

Author M. Scott Peck in books like The Road Less Traveled concocted a "spiritual maturity model" which would classify my brother as a type 1 "primitive/chaotic" person at the bottom of the spiritual development ladder. Fundamentalism of whatever religious flavor tends to attract such people and bring order to their lives.

Later, according to Peck (with whom I do not entirely agree FWIW) you hopefully graduate to more enlightened ideation which, after a detour into atheism or areligion (which he saw as purely an abreaction to less enlightened forms of spirituality), hopefully lands you in a more liberal / egalitarian form of religious faith such as liberal Christianity. Conveniently, where Peck himself landed, lol.

I think Peck was onto something regarding fundamentalism there. In that system everyone is a horrible, rotten, unworthy Sinner who gets saved and then struggles against the "sin nature" despite being a "new creation". What kind of people tend to want that kind of mindset, but people who have bad habits and/or addictions or untoward Tendencies that they need some kind of guard rails and accountability that rationalizes their negative self-views? Those, and people willing to just accept the role of "worm" as the price of entry.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:20 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Religion does have an important function of providing structure for people who can't provide it for themselves.

Very true. Unfotrtunately it's not always a good structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality