Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 09:51 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,910,085 times

Advertisements

I must admit that I often respond with a when clearly obvious answers to a question asked in a TV quiz show are met with silence from the competitors. And, while I'm sure that these type TV shows MUST SURELY be set-ups and the dumb responses given especially singled out for the intended audience, those too that have some guy with a microphone asking general knowledge questions of the public are equally worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 10:00 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Mayim is pretty smart so I'm sure she would have known the question to the answer, in spite of being given the answer to the question. Jewish or not, everyone has heard "the lord's prayer", it's just a matter of whether or not she memorized it.

So no, I don't think it is a requirement of everyone to know that answer and believing it to be a sure sign that we are "living in the end times' since there will be a huge "falling away" from religion/Christianity. That's what the good book says.

I'm not surprised that the 'righteous' made a big deal of it. Social media ran with it so as usual, we have three very intelligent contestants whose concern in life wasn't reading fairy tales but rather dealing with reality, that have been made to look like complete idiots over a trivia question.
I don't know that everyone has heard the Lord's Prayer, or maybe that everyone knows it off the top of their heads. Pretty sure everyone knows the Shema, too, but off the top of my head I might mess it up.

As I did when a therapist once asked me if I knew the Serenity Prayer, and I said, "Help me to change the things I cannot accept..." and he rolled his eyes and said, NOOOOOOOO that's the problem!"

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-17-2023 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-17-2023, 02:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Shema?
''Shema
, (Hebrew: “Hear”), the Jewish confession of faith made up of three scriptural texts
(Deuteronomy 6:4–9, 11:13–21; Numbers 15:37–41), which, together with appropriate prayers,
forms an integral part of the evening and morning services.''

Ex Deut 6
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might.
Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:35 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Shema?
''Shema
, (Hebrew: “Hear”), the Jewish confession of faith made up of three scriptural texts
(Deuteronomy 6:4–9, 11:13–21; Numbers 15:37–41), which, together with appropriate prayers,
forms an integral part of the evening and morning services.''

Ex Deut 6
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might.
Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise.
"Hear O Israel, the Lord your God, the Lord is One." That's the opening that I am.pretty sure most people have heard, but I don't have rest memorized!

Old 06-17-2023, 08:27 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
It's a hopeful sign that young people are finally wising up to the religions fraud and are cutting the cord with God and Jesus as absolutely useless entities in this cesspool down here.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:52 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's a hopeful sign that young people are finally wising up to the religions fraud and are cutting the cord with God and Jesus as absolutely useless entities in this cesspool down here.
Wow. Who hurt you?

This anti-Christianity hatred of your's is just not healthy. You'd be happier in life if you just learn to forgive and move on.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:05 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I must admit that I often respond with a when clearly obvious answers to a question asked in a TV quiz show are met with silence from the competitors. And, while I'm sure that these type TV shows MUST SURELY be set-ups and the dumb responses given especially singled out for the intended audience, those too that have some guy with a microphone asking general knowledge questions of the public are equally worthy.
It is worthy, I recently saw that guy on the street with the mic asking very simple questions to which certain people, usually young people, could not answer. I'm embarrassed for them. One question was "who was the first President of the United States" or "who is the current President". It was a train wreck.

Jeopardy, though, is somewhat different than regular folks on the street. The contestants go through rigorous testing of knowledge and personality, so they make sure one is qualified. If they pulled these idiots off the street to be contestants it would be another train wreck. Equally as entertaining I suppose.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:28 AM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Wow. Who hurt you?

This anti-Christianity hatred of your's is just not healthy. You'd be happier in life if you just learn to forgive and move on.
Your hate of atheism is simply the other side of the coin. Who hurt you?

Old 06-17-2023, 11:58 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Wow. Who hurt you?

WHAT hurt you. Belief in Jesus

Old 06-17-2023, 04:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What this VIDEO CLIP is telling us is that some Jeopardy contestants are fairly ignorant of Bible tropes.

Now it may just be that people don't have the Lord's Prayer memorized specifically in KJV/Elizabethan English because they are increasingly dismissive of Christianity as relevant to their daily lives.

And THAT may just have something to do with the church failing in its declared mission to "reach" people.

So it says a great deal, I think, not about people in general, but about the church itself, its leadership, and what it chooses to teach.
Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I agree. For me it also said - the contestants for 'that show' probably, respect intellect more than Bible prayers? I dunno, no conclusion for me either, only guessing.
Anyone possessing intellect would reject the King Joke Vision for any number of valid reasons.

The insistence on using archaic English is absurd. When modern editors removed the archaic nonsense from Shakespeare's works, they found students eager to read and it the students understood it better.

Changing, "Methinks thou doth protest too much" to "Methinks you do protest too much" in no way alters the meaning or diminishes Shakespeare, because if he would be writing today, he would not be using archaic English.

The KJV is based on the Textus Receptus which contains known errors -- more than 800 of them -- because Erasmus was incompetent.

There's overwhelming proof that none of the translators of the KJV are connected to or guided by any god-thing. They incorrectly translated a verse in one of the Psalms for more than 4 centuries.

To make matters worse, since they couldn't properly translate the passage, the added the phrase "her cunning" so that it might actually possibly make sense.

The incorrectly translated verse then morphs from...

If I forget you Jerusalem, let my right hand forget

...to...

If I forget you Jerusalem, let my right forget her cunning.

It was an Atheist who figured it out. He was a French archeologist with teams of German and Israeli archaeologists excavating Ugarit.

He found a tablet with the Psalm originally written by the Ugarits and culturally-appropriated by the Hebrews.

If I forget you Jerusalem, let my right hand wither

That's the correct translation and it doesn't say much that the Jews incorrectly translated it for 2,000 years before being corrected.

The KJV is riddled with deceit.

Mark claims a certain incident occurred at Gerasa. Luke claims it happened at Gadara.

A person with intellect would immediately question that and it proves the texts are not the word of any god-thing.

To prevent people from seeing the conflict/contradiction and asking questions, the KJV changed location in both stories to Gerge, a town quite distant from the other two.

What if the Media interviewed a man who claimed an incident occurred Queens, and then interviewed another man who said the same incident occurred in Brooklyn, and then to hide the fact that their stories conflict and contradict, the Media then reported that both men claimed the incident happened in Manhattan?

The intellect would call the Media out, and then to avoid being a hypocrite, would call out the translators of the KJV for doing the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality