Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 07:11 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If there is a message - these are supposed to be the educated people in society, and they don't know the basics of the basics about His Word.

To me it's another indicator of why this country is heading in the direction its heading. The majority ignore of people ignore Him - so He has removed Himself from our midst and allowed us on the road to self-destruction.

As far as Jeopardy itself - even the staff was embarrassed at the entire episode.

Embarrassed ‘Jeopardy’ Producer Finally Addresses Recent Episode Where All Three Contestants Missed A Stunning 23 Questions, Asks Viewers To “Forget It Ever Happened”
It is better to look to God past all the stuff going on in the world. As God's word speaks of these times as fallen nature runs its course.

Consider this, after the flood Noah blessed his son Shem with the name from God, and what did the people do in the days that followed,... they built the Tower of Babel and sought to make a name for themselves. God scattered them and then called Abram, who then received the name from God "Abraham". A name that returns to that from which it came and in line with Noah's blessing of Shem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 08:09 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
What conclusions did your poker buddy's come to on this very weird and disturbing assessment that just because the contestants didn't have biblical knowledge, that the world is going to hell in a handbasket. It just gets stupider and stupider.
While watching the show, I wondered if Mayim Bialik knew the correct response. After all, there is no reason that she should have read that part of the Bible.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I like that the answer was given to the contestants. The answer to the prayer is giving them their daily bread and the prayer is summed up in forgiveness or the lack there of.

It would have conveyed the wrong message if one of the contestants had chosen to answer the question and answered it wrong according to the rules of their game. If that had happened then hopefully the correct answer would have outweighed the loss in maximized gain outside of their game.
I'm sorry, but your post doesn't make much sense to me. What are you trying to say?

Old 06-16-2023, 08:12 AM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
What conclusions did your poker buddy's come to on this very weird and disturbing assessment that just because the contestants didn't have biblical knowledge, that the world is going to hell in a handbasket. It just gets stupider and stupider.
No conclusions. Mostly: how could all 3 contestants not know the answer to that question and that it does say something about the status of christianity as a focus in American life.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What this VIDEO CLIP is telling us is that some Jeopardy contestants are fairly ignorant of Bible tropes.

Now it may just be that people don't have the Lord's Prayer memorized specifically in KJV/Elizabethan English because they are increasingly dismissive of Christianity as relevant to their daily lives.

And THAT may just have something to do with the church failing in its declared mission to "reach" people.

So it says a great deal, I think, not about people in general, but about the church itself, its leadership, and what it chooses to teach.
The bolded!

Old 06-16-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
It is better to look to God past all the stuff going on in the world. As God's word speaks of these times as fallen nature runs its course.

Consider this, after the flood Noah blessed his son Shem with the name from God, and what did the people do in the days that followed,... they built the Tower of Babel and sought to make a name for themselves. God scattered them and then called Abram, who then received the name from God "Abraham". A name that returns to that from which it came and in line with Noah's blessing of Shem.
This preaching has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If there is a message - these are supposed to be the educated people in society, and they don't know the basics of the basics about His Word.
No, they are people with an extensive knowledge of trivia that also have personalities that the producers think would work well on their TV show.

Quote:
To me it's another indicator of why this country is heading in the direction its heading. The majority ignore of people ignore Him - so He has removed Himself from our midst and allowed us on the road to self-destruction.
What direction do you think the country is headed as evidenced by three Jeopardy contestants failing to respond to a clue correctly? Are you really saying the Lord has removed Himself from America because some people can't recite the Lord's Prayer?

Meh. It happens once in a while. The recent prime time Celebrity Jeopardy was a fine example of a bunch of contestants that performed poorly on the show.

BTW, that Inside Jeopardy podcast was about a different episode of the game.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:35 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
While watching the show, I wondered if Mayim Bialik knew the correct response. After all, there is no reason that she should have read that part of the Bible.
Ha, I almost posted something similar. Of course, she is given the responses!

When I breeze through the Bible questions on Jeopardy, I am thankful for the Sunday School lessons and the big Bible story book I had as a kid.

Some years ago, the answer to a Jeopardy question was the conclusion to this saying: Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find" and none of them got it. One person said "Another day, another dollar." I was howling, but surprised that someone didn't know something I thought everyone knew. Then again, I've missed questions that probably other people thought everyone knew (I'm bad at pop culture such as movies and TV shows.)

Old 06-16-2023, 08:38 AM

412 posts, read 137,956 times
Were any or all of the contestants immigrants? Jeopardy often has immigrants, and Christianity is not prevalent in some parts. Jeopardy has often featured immigrants in its past shows, so it is not unlikely that at least two, if not all, of the contestants, were immigrants.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:38 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,412 times
Quote:
I like that the answer was given to the contestants. The answer to the prayer is giving them their daily bread and the prayer is summed up in forgiveness or the lack there of.

It would have conveyed the wrong message if one of the contestants had chosen to answer the question and answered it wrong according to the rules of their game. If that had happened then hopefully the correct answer would have outweighed the loss in maximized gain outside of their game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I'm sorry, but your post doesn't make much sense to me. What are you trying to say?
I responded in the full context of the prayer in that the contestants received their daily bread in the correct answer that was given, and that the prayer was answered for the contestants ,... those who could receive it.

And then I shared the summation of the prayer.

Last edited by chief scum; 06-16-2023 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality