Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 08:18 AM

16,023 posts, read 7,066,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
As a Christian, much of what my friends from different traditions articulate,
resonate with my Abrahamic sensibilities.

As a Hindu, the core of spirituality that all religions celebrate totally vibrates with me. And it has always been thus. You can see the evidence in the writings of the ancient rishis, the poet saints and philosophers, hippies and new age rock stars, through all time to modern day spiritualists. All drawn to the same light and we sing the same song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Advaita Vedanta is not Advaita. It's just a pointer solidly of and within Maya.
Not sure what you mean and I am intrigued!
I am sure you know Vedanta only means philosophy and includes several different perspectives, such as Dvaita, Vishista advaita, vaishnavism and others all grounded in the Vedas. There have been hotly contested and vigorous debates between them all but all remain equally vibrant and practiced, all debates preserved.

Quote:
Ramakrishna supposedly achieved the same results via many different paths including Christianity and Islam.
What results do you mean?

It is quite common for many Hindus to be inspired by the teachings of Jesus, Kabir, Meera, and other spiritual poets who sang in all the languages Indians speak in. Count me among those. These are some of the most beautiful poetry in Indian literature. Hindus don't generally convert for spiritual reasons as there is no need, but do for social and political reasons.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:00 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

As a Hindu, the core of spirituality that all religions celebrate totally vibrates with me. And it has always been thus. You can see the evidence in the writings of the ancient rishis, the poet saints and philosophers, hippies and new age rock stars, through all time to modern day spiritualists. All drawn to the same light and we sing the same song.
We intuitively know when we're in " harmony "

Old 06-15-2023, 09:43 AM

551 posts, read 193,583 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean and I am intrigued!
I am sure you know Vedanta only means philosophy and includes several different perspectives, such as Dvaita, Vishista advaita, vaishnavism and others all grounded in the Vedas. There have been hotly contested and vigorous debates between them all but all remain equally vibrant and practiced, all debates preserved.

What results do you mean?

It is quite common for many Hindus to be inspired by the teachings of Jesus, Kabir, Meera, and other spiritual poets who sang in all the languages Indians speak in. Count me among those. These are some of the most beautiful poetry in Indian literature. Hindus don't generally convert for spiritual reasons as there is no need, but do for social and political reasons.
All these traditions/philosophies are part of the multiplicity, so in the case of Advaita Vedanta it only points to Advaita (without a second).

As I said I read "Sri Ramakrishan The Great Master" authored by one of his direct disciples. It's an account of his entire life and he received instruction from all sorts of gurus from many different traditions when they passed through Dakshineshwar. They stayed for a time as guests at the temple where he received instruction. He practiced and mastered all of them, Realizing whatever Ultimate Truth they put forth and that ultimately they all pointed to the same Truth.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:

As I said I read "Sri Ramakrishan The Great Master" authored by one of his direct disciples. It's an account of his entire life and he received instruction from all sorts of gurus from many different traditions when they passed through Dakshineshwar. They stayed for a time as guests at the temple where he received instruction. He practiced and mastered all of them, Realizing whatever Ultimate Truth they put forth and that ultimately they all pointed to the same Truth.
Yes, true. My mistake in reading it as Vivekananda.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:11 PM

551 posts, read 193,583 times
Quote:
Yes, true. My mistake in reading it as Vivekananda.
Understandable since they are so intertwined. Here's something on the various practices he undertook.

https://belurmath.org/sri-ramakrishna/

Intense Spiritual Practices

Sri Ramakrishna’s God-intoxicated state alarmed his relatives in Kamarpukur and they got him married to Sarada, a girl from the neighbouring village of Jayrambati. Unaffected by the marriage, Sri Ramakrishna plunged into even more intense spiritual practices. Impelled by a strong inner urge to experience the different aspects of God he followed, with the help of a series of Gurus, the various paths described in the Hindu scriptures, and realized God through each of them. The first teacher to appear at Dakshineswar (in 1861) was a remarkable woman known as Bhairavi Brahmani who was an advanced spiritual adept, well versed in scriptures. With her help Sri Ramakrishna practised various difficult disciplines of the Tantrik path, and attained success in all of them. Three years later came a wandering monk by name Totapuri, under whose guidance Sri Ramakrishna attained Nirvikalpa Samadhi, the highest spiritual experience mentioned in the Hindu scriptures. He remained in that state of non-dual existence for six months without the least awareness of even his own body. In this way, Sri Ramakrishna relived the entire range of spiritual experiences of more than three thousand years of Hindu religion.

Following Other Faiths

With his unquenchable thirst for God, Sri Ramakrishna broke the frontiers of Hinduism, glided through the paths of Islam and Christianity, and attained the highest realization through each of them in a short span of time. He looked upon Jesus and Buddha as incarnations of God, and venerated the ten Sikh Gurus. He expressed the quintessence of his twelve-year-long spiritual realizations in a simple dictum: Yato mat, tato path “As many faiths, so many paths.” He now habitually lived in an exalted state of consciousness in which he saw God in all beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality