Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 11:53 AM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm not sure about that guy and his quote, but as to "what does it all boil down to", I'd say its the goal of trying to find common ground on Earth with others as much as possible. We're all humans and neighbors, after all. There's much that we will always have in common.

We've each always been individual and unique, with our own ideas and freedoms of choice. In previous times, it wasn't a problem, and most would just "live and let live". But it's all turned around now. People want to find every reason to argue and disagree. It's highly perverse, and comes from all directions, all groups. And with that, personal review and personal accountability is also lacking.

No religion is needed to find common ground, and seek to understand each other. That's the starting point. Then, philosophy, spirituality, and possibly religion can be added, as long as not conflicting with the primary goal. High diversity and high unity is possible, regardless of what the naysayers strive for.
The bolded -- you must be blind to history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That is indeed a political statement. Injustice caused with labels in the past can be rectified only by the use of the same labels. I do not wish for this thread to be closed so I will refrain from commenting further.
Good.

However, there's nothing inherently wrong with labels. It's merely a way man's mind classifies things.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:02 PM

11,069 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The bolded -- you must be blind to history.
I meant to say "as much of a problem". Completely different without that.

Yeah, I must be a blind, awful person! LOL

No point in hanging around here, just to be bashed at basically anything I say. Adios folks. Putting my time in healthier places and ways.

Enjoy the poisoned cesspool that this area of the forum has become...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-13-2023 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-13-2023, 12:05 PM

551 posts, read 190,318 times
Quote:
To just a small degree?

If a christian (for example) cannot keep 10 COMMANDMENTS from their all-powerful god, then he or she is not much of christian.
Why make the perfect the enemy of the good?

Old 06-13-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Why make the perfect the enemy of the good?
I don't know how that answers anything I posted.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:17 PM

412 posts, read 137,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I meant to say "as much of a problem". Completely different without that.

Yeah, I must be a blind, awful person! LOL

No point in hanging around here, just to be bashed at basically anything I say. Adios folks. Putting my time in healthier places and ways.

Enjoy the poisoned cesspool that this area of the forum has become...
I think that's a wise decision otherwise, you'll find yourself "debating" and risk being reported as to whether or not water is wet.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I don't know how that answers anything I posted.
It sounded like you were presenting a binary choice, as in 100% adherence to all Ten Commandments at all times or you're not much of a Christian. That's the perfect and the good would be progress through intention.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It sounded like you were presenting a binary choice, as in 100% adherence to all Ten Commandments at all times or you're not much of a Christian. That's the perfect and the good would be progress through intention.
Okay, now I understand what you were saying. But I'm not sure I agree, because, we are talking about COMMANDMENTS from your got, whom you claim to be totally committed to.

[just for the record, that's the 'royal your', not you specifically]

It's a little different in Buddhism. We primarily have 5 Precepts, but they are not considered to be commandments. They are suggestions if you want to reduce or eliminate your suffering.

Old 06-13-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Okay, now I understand what you were saying. But I'm not sure I agree, because, we are talking about COMMANDMENTS from your got, whom you claim to be totally committed to.

[just for the record, that's the 'royal your', not you specifically]

It's a little different in Buddhism. We primarily have 5 Precepts, but they are not considered to be commandments. They are suggestions if you want to reduce or eliminate your suffering.
Maybe it's ... https://youtu.be/DRSm-8tPFt4 LOL!

On a serious note...

Back in my early days of Buddhist meditation I practiced for purely selfish reasons, and that was to reduce stress and reactivity. Purely secular and self-centered and it worked wonders. After some time I became aware of what I suppose could be called a "Butterfly Effect" or perhaps "Ripples in the Pond Effect", and that is what was proving beneficial for me was also beneficial for those around me. That did give me even more motivation and broadened my intent. Kind of like the expanding outward circle practiced in Loving-Kindness meditation, only passive and not active. That is it wasn't purposefully cultivating qualities of love, kindness and compassion but these qualities eventually did begin to more often manifest. I take the same view with suffering and that it's not just my alleviation of suffering that's at issue.

One of my favorite meditation teachers. https://youtu.be/IoPUOJn6gQA?list=PL...qZqIg8q6QRm5YJ

Old 06-13-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's ... https://youtu.be/DRSm-8tPFt4 LOL!

On a serious note...

Back in my early days of Buddhist meditation I practiced for purely selfish reasons, and that was to reduce stress and reactivity. Purely secular and self-centered and it worked wonders. After some time I became aware of what I suppose could be called a "Butterfly Effect" or perhaps "Ripples in the Pond Effect", and that is what was proving beneficial for me was also beneficial for those around me. That did give me even more motivation and broadened my intent. Kind of like the expanding outward circle practiced in Loving-Kindness meditation, only passive and not active. That is it wasn't purposefully cultivating qualities of love, kindness and compassion but these qualities eventually did begin to more often manifest. I take the same view with suffering and that it's not just my alleviation of suffering that's at issue.

...[/url]
Very good.

I think what some people mistake about Buddhists is that they expect them to always be passive. Instead, I think that Buddhists need to understand when and under what circumstances the best path may not be passivity. For example, I can be rather forceful in stating my opinions on this forum, but I am not so much like that in "real life".

Last edited by phetaroi; 06-13-2023 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality