Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 03:08 PM

551 posts, read 191,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Very good.

I think what some people mistake about Buddhists is that they expect them to always be passive. Instead, I think that Buddhists need to understand when and under what circumstances the best path may not be passivity. For example, I can be rather forceful in stating my opinions on this forum, but I am not so much like that in "real life".
Kwai Chang Caine

I wouldn't classify Shaolin monks pacifists. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaolin_Monastery

Shaolin monks were recruited by the Ming government at least six times to participate in wars. Due to their outstanding contribution to Chinese military success, the imperial court built monuments and buildings for Shaolin Temple on numerous occasions. This also contributed to the establishment of the legitimacy of Shaolin kung fu in the national martial arts community. During the Ming Dynasty (in mid-16th century), Shaolin reached its apogee and held its position as the central place of the Caodong School of Chan Buddhism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 08:18 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I meant to say "as much of a problem". Completely different without that.

Yeah, I must be a blind, awful person! LOL

No point in hanging around here, just to be bashed at basically anything I say. Adios folks. Putting my time in healthier places and ways.

Enjoy the poisoned cesspool that this area of the forum has become...
You know the old saying, if you can't stand the heat it's probably best to get out of the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
I think that's a wise decision otherwise, you'll find yourself "debating" and risk being reported as to whether or not water is wet.
Who is getting reported? What? And yes, that's what we do here, debate. Wah, wah, wah.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:25 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
For a thread about shared humanity and empathy, i have no idea how this thread has devolved into mudslinging so quickly.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm not sure about that guy and his quote, but as to "what does it all boil down to", I'd say its the goal of trying to find common ground on Earth with others as much as possible. We're all humans and neighbors, after all. There's much that we will always have in common.

We've each always been individual and unique, with our own ideas and freedoms of choice. In previous times, it wasn't as much of a problem, and most would just "live and let live". But it's all turned around now. People want to find every reason to argue and disagree. It's highly perverse, and comes from all directions, all groups. And with that, personal review and personal accountability is also lacking.

No religion is needed to find common ground, and seek to understand each other. That's the starting point. Then, philosophy, spirituality, and possibly religion can be added, as long as not conflicting with the primary goal. High diversity and high unity is possible, regardless of what the naysayers strive for.

Good post.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:34 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
For a thread about shared humanity and empathy, i have no idea how this thread has devolved into mudslinging so quickly.
Labels

Old 06-13-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Labels

Labels? Not sure I understand?

Old 06-13-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Labels? Not sure I understand?
Someone calling themselves a Christian that means one thing to them and another thing to the person they just told they were a Christian to.

I'm sure you've noticed a whole host of beliefs foisted on you just for saying "atheist". If someone didn't know that they would have to figure out what your beliefs are by listening to you.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:13 PM

One thing I learned early on in life from the cult is the absolute exhilaration of knowing someone has the wrong idea of you. I guess that's one good thing that came of it. It's like a secret life .

Old 06-13-2023, 11:37 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Eternal life.

Life wants to spread and continue. Extrapolate out and undying life seems to be the point of life.

There's a little thing called heat death that will get in the way, but life will try to soldier on.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:41 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about the labels people use to corral others. I guess they use them to corral themselves as well.

For the OPs listening pleasure
https://youtu.be/X_DVS_303kQ
There are labels people apply to themselves that means something to them, their identity, their community. Then there are those who place label on others, and refuse their right to label themselves.
Labels are not the problems. People and their intention are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality