Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 08:00 PM

1,751 posts, read 753,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Sure sounds like a "theology" to me.

But that is not a bad thing IMO.

Many have been hurt or disturbed by various theologians and theologies.

But not one of the is God, Brahman, or the flying spaghetti monster.

They are all human constructs.
All human interpretations and understandings of our surroundings through our senses are essentially "human constructs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 08:14 PM

551 posts, read 190,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
All human interpretations and understandings of our surroundings through our senses are essentially "human constructs."
Yes. Phenomenon vs. noumenon. Our perception of "objective" reality is a subjective construct wholly in and of mind.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:44 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Yes. Phenomenon vs. noumenon. Our perception of "objective" reality is a subjective construct wholly in and of mind.
From noumenon to phenomenon.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:55 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I need copies of "Hinduism for Dummies" and "Physics for Dummies." But from what little I've read and understand, Hinduism is a religion that intersects with science. I find that delightful.
Many religions intersect with science. And when they conflict, the religious either change their beliefs or compartmentalize them.

Quote:
I think early practitioners intuited concepts that took science students millennia to theorize.
It would be interesting to see how the early discoveries were made, but unfortunately much has been lost, from Emperor Qin destroying books to Christians ignoring scientific discoveries of the ancient Greeks.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:25 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Was the explorer a vegetarian? Otherwise how did he thing his meat was obtained without pain and suffering?
Suffering is a human condition, until we learn how to find relief from it.
I think you've misunderstood the point. It wasn't that an animal had been killed. It was that the guide butchered it alive until it died. It appeared to the explorer to be an unnecessary amount of cruelty. And his nonchalant attitude about its pain being short-lived in a world which continues forever was upsetting to the man.

I wonder if that kind of response might not lie behind much unnecessary cruelty. Perhaps a different religion's response would be acknowledging that pain and death will be companions of the living but his job it to help alleviate the pain while he lives?

Old 06-13-2023, 11:02 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
I think you've misunderstood the point. It wasn't that an animal had been killed. It was that the guide butchered it alive until it died. It appeared to the explorer to be an unnecessary amount of cruelty. And his nonchalant attitude about its pain being short-lived in a world which continues forever was upsetting to the man.

I wonder if that kind of response might not lie behind much unnecessary cruelty. Perhaps a different religion's response would be acknowledging that pain and death will be companions of the living but his job it to help alleviate the pain while he lives?

Yes, that sounds reasonable.

If one is going to eat meat, a killing has to happen. Be it shooting a deer between its eyes, hooking a fish and cutting into it, slitting the throat of a cow until the blood drains out, all undeniably ghastly things. So is a hawk tearing into the flesh of a squirrel. When vegetables are harvested, is there trauma? Of course. When the earth is ploughed to plant grains, are there lives killed? Death and suffering and pain are all part of life. I am not sure where one can draw the line. We can be mindful of what we eat, how we eat, and what was lost because we eat. More than that I can't see how judging one way to kill over the other does anything good.
We kill people because they killed people. Relatives can come and watch the execution. And this is considered justice. Is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality