Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 10:33 AM

15,976 posts, read 7,039,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except you never said that, you said Hinduism is monistic, not just Advaita Vedanta. Just a Simple Guy was also saying you were wrong.

That you need to twist that and play the sexist card is amusing.
Hinduism is monism, if one needs to define it although it has no meaning for Hindus. The basic view is one supreme being exists, be it Vishnu, Devi, Or Shiva. Advaita Vedanta is not a religion. Hindus do not have a term for religion in any of the languages the speak. Instead of wikipedia Ask a Hindu, there is a whole thread.
Hindus have conflicts all humans do. But nobody is conflicted about whom they pray to, or how many gods are there. There is only One.
Your extent of not-knowing is embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 10:35 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This is a forum for discussing religion. I know it helps a certain way of thinking, and interests, to keep people divided, everyone in their place, hating each other and in constant turmoil by stirring the pot.
But religion unites people, spirituality is a singular force. It cuts through constructed border walls. That is the way it is.
Sometimes religion unites people for the right reasons. Sometimes religion unites people for the wrong reasons.

You can stop stirring the pot, also, such as always accusing others of hate.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sometimes religion unites people for the right reasons. Sometimes religion unites people for the wrong reasons.

You can stop stirring the pot, also, such as always accusing others of hate.
It it fits.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:37 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Then one should do so. A very good healing for the mind.
So I will expect to see a change in attitude about atheists.

Old 06-11-2023, 12:44 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,433,033 times
I need copies of "Hinduism for Dummies" and "Physics for Dummies." But from what little I've read and understand, Hinduism is a religion that intersects with science. I find that delightful.

I think early practitioners intuited concepts that took science students millennia to theorize. And I understand that many prominent physicists are of the Hindu faith.

But, and this is not the main subject of my post, I would be very careful of stating that any particular religion or lack of religion is more or less damaging than the others. Seems like a bizarre approach to beliefs to live by.

In the case of suffering I am reminded of a story told by an explorer in a Hindu country who had enlisted the aid of a guide. When it was time to eat the guide caught a bird and butchered it alive which put the explorer off his appetite. He chastised his guide about causing the bird pain and the guide responded, "It doesn't matter. It won't last very long."

Seems like most humans, religious and otherwise, struggle with the problem of earthly pain.

Old 06-11-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I need copies of "Hinduism for Dummies" and "Physics for Dummies." But from what little I've read and understand, Hinduism is a religion that intersects with science. I find that delightful.

I think early practitioners intuited concepts that took science students millennia to theorize. And I understand that many prominent physicists are of the Hindu faith.

But, and this is not the main subject of my post, I would be very careful of stating that any particular religion or lack of religion is more or less damaging than the others. Seems like a bizarre approach to beliefs to live by.

In the case of suffering I am reminded of a story told by an explorer in a Hindu country who had enlisted the aid of a guide. When it was time to eat the guide caught a bird and butchered it alive which put the explorer off his appetite. He chastised his guide about causing the bird pain and the guide responded, "It doesn't matter. It won't last very long."

Seems like most humans, religious and otherwise, struggle with the problem of earthly pain.
You seem to have a pretty good and accurate grasp of Hinduism and Science.
Hinduism has no conflict with science because it treats knowledge as sacred. All knowledge is scared, and science is knowledge. There is no conflict. There are several prominent Hindu scientist, the most famous being the Sir.C.V. Raman and equally famous his son. Dr.C.V. Chandrashaker, the astrophysicist.
Indian Scientists
Not all are Hindus, majority are. Dr. Abdul Kalam, a Muslim, who was also the President of India, ran the space program. Several of them are women.

I agree with your statement about any particular religion or lack of it being more damaging. People can and do a lot of damage to themselves and others. A lot of people also do heroic and selfless good for humanity. We are capable of both, religion is not the reason. Although religion can inspire and sustain them in their struggles.
Was the explorer a vegetarian? Otherwise how did he thing his meat was obtained without pain and suffering?
Suffering is a human condition, until we learn how to find relief from it.

Old 06-11-2023, 03:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Sadly much is lost by this, and the person does not even know what is lost.
That person would be you.

Quote:
On the other hand Hinduism, in particular Advaita Vedanta, does not present the same difficulties.
How would you know since you've never studied any of the other Hindu sects and cannot explain why you elevate the Advaita sect above much older sects.

In that regard, you're a lot like the Hebrews who elevated Yahweh above the other gods in the Hebrew pantheon without really understanding why.

Old 06-11-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That person would be you.

How would you know since you've never studied any of the other Hindu sects and cannot explain why you elevate the Advaita sect above much older sects.

In that regard, you're a lot like the Hebrews who elevated Yahweh above the other gods in the Hebrew pantheon without really understanding why.
What specific sects are you talking about and why do you never answer that same question every time? Since you claim to have studied all these sects, let us have some names. Otherwise i have to conclude you are simply lying. The fact that you keep repeatedly calling Advaita a sect is a big clue that you know nothing.
As for those biblical comparisons you keep making about me? Water off ducks back, or off lotus leaf. They mean nothing to me. What is the Hebrew? I bet you know nothing about that either. truly embarrassing.

Old 06-11-2023, 05:59 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
As evidenced here and on a regular basis words are often used to cut people down.
I try to make sure they are not my words.

Which is in itself, a form of practicing my faith.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:18 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Hinduism is monism, if one needs to define it although it has no meaning for Hindus. The basic view is one supreme being exists, be it Vishnu, Devi, Or Shiva. Advaita Vedanta is not a religion. Hindus do not have a term for religion in any of the languages the speak. Instead of wikipedia Ask a Hindu, there is a whole thread.
Hindus have conflicts all humans do. But nobody is conflicted about whom they pray to, or how many gods are there. There is only One.
Your extent of not-knowing is embarrassing.
You do know there are atheist Hindus?

And Panentheists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality