Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 06:02 AM

551 posts, read 192,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
When a Hindu woman who has been a Hindu all her life says it, several times, it is rejected. Let us see how far a white guy’s words carry with sexists.
Maybe they're just trying to cover a bet as in Pascal's Wager?

By the way, one of the most important lessons for me from mindfulness is not taking things personally. Basically the Buddha's "Second Arrow" parable.

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy; 06-11-2023 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 07:08 AM

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Maybe they're just trying to cover a bet as in Pascal's Wager?

By the way, one of the most important lessons for me from mindfulness is not taking things personally. Basically the Buddha's "Second Arrow" parable.

I try to remember Karuna/Loving Kindness as the stable state of being, shama,, when seized by doubt and anxiety. Always striving

Old 06-11-2023, 07:20 AM

551 posts, read 192,331 times
Quote:

I try to remember Karuna/Loving Kindness as the stable state of being, shama,, when seized by doubt and anxiety. Always striving
Occasionally I slip a Loving-Kindness sitting into my practice. For anyone not familiar the practice begins with extending loving-kindness to self then incrementally extending the circle outward. A loved one. Family. Friends. A respected one. Acquaintances and coworkers. Strangers. A difficult one. All of humanity. All living beings.

It's like being on an airliner experiencing decompression. Before one can help others one must first help one's self.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Occasionally I slip a Loving-Kindness sitting into my practice. For anyone not familiar the practice begins with extending loving-kindness to self then incrementally extending the circle outward. A loved one. Family. Friends. A respected one. Acquaintances and coworkers. Strangers. A difficult one. All of humanity. All living beings.

It's like being on an airliner experiencing decompression. Before one can help others one must first help one's self.
I am a theist, so I end with Dakshinamurthi, who teaches with silence and a kind smile. It helps.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:54 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
When a Hindu woman who has been a Hindu all her life says it, several times, it is rejected. Let us see how far a white guy’s words carry with sexists.
Perhaps that Hindu woman who has been a Hundu all her life should stick to preaching Hinduism and not acting like an authority on other religions that she is not a member of.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:55 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:

Karuna, also a facet of Thai Buddhism, is not to be practiced only on people who agree with a poster. Anyone can do that without even thinking.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:57 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Advaita Vedanta is monism. Of course it's not all of Hinduism. On the other end of the scale is Dvaita and Vashistadvaita somewhere between (qualified monism). Of course these are only three of many different faces of Hinduism.
I agree. Perhaps you are telling the wrong person.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Perhaps that Hindu woman who has been a Hundu all her life should stick to preaching Hinduism and not acting like an authority on other religions that she is not a member of.
This is a forum for discussing religion. I know it helps a certain way of thinking, and interests, to keep people divided, everyone in their place, hating each other and in constant turmoil by stirring the pot.
But religion unites people, spirituality is a singular force. It cuts through constructed border walls. That is the way it is.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Karuna, also a facet of Thai Buddhism, is not to be practiced only on people who agree with a poster. Anyone can do that without even thinking.
Then one should do so. A very good healing for the mind.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:17 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Except you never said that, you said Hinduism is monistic, not just Advaita Vedanta. Just a Simple Guy was also saying you were wrong.

That you need to twist that and play the sexist card is amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality