Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 09:17 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm sorry, but that response shows a lack of meekness.
FWIW in secular writings of the NT period, "meek" generally meant "gentle" or "soft", but some have suggested that it might be better understood as "powerless". Telling such persons they will eventually own everything the powerful have seized for themselves is just about the oldest trick in the book to lead the sheeple on. It is used by politicians today all the time. "Vote for me and I will fight for you" and then it literally never happens. Likewise religion says "follow these precepts and god will give you everything the world has denied you". And it literally never happens. They even get away with telling you it will be fulfilled after you die.

It's hard to believe people still fall for it, but they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 09:46 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
FWIW in secular writings of the NT period, "meek" generally meant "gentle" or "soft", but some have suggested that it might be better understood as "powerless". Telling such persons they will eventually own everything the powerful have seized for themselves is just about the oldest trick in the book to lead the sheeple on. It is used by politicians today all the time. "Vote for me and I will fight for you" and then it literally never happens. Likewise religion says "follow these precepts and god will give you everything the world has denied you". And it literally never happens. They even get away with telling you it will be fulfilled after you die.

of course!

Old 06-09-2023, 11:25 PM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
When reaching a dead end, the dead becomes “evading the question.” Ot to worry, it is all in the startegy.
Usually it IS evading the question, and to pretend we are the dishonest ones with a strategy when we point out a truth is amusing.

In this case I think it was a simple misunderstanding, but some people are too serious all of the time.

Old 06-10-2023, 02:45 AM

551 posts, read 192,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

I like the Vedantic take on it. https://youtu.be/3sVv3dqlUjA?t=911

Old 06-10-2023, 04:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 883,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The Catholic Church has objectively done the most good for humanity.

They invented hospitals and universities, and pioneered much of what makes life good that we take for granted today.

They've also done the most to stamp out savage and brutal religions through their missionary efforts.

There is a long list of Catholic Saints that have contributed more to the betterment of humanity than any list of people any other religion can put forth.
The Catholic church owns so many hospitals and if it weren't for their greed, many who go to hospitals for help wouldn't need insurance, or be hit with an outrageous hospital bill.

Take a trip to a hospital emergency room for a 30 minutes or less total time with a professional in the hospital you you will come out with a bill that is something like 400 for the doctor, and 4000 for the hospital.

The Catholic church also asks for money to pray for you.

Tell them someone you love died and they will send you a money choice for paying for prayers and lighting a candle for so many hours for your loved one.

Christians are supposed to help the sick and the needy, but the Catholics don't care how sick and needy you are they just want your money.

Last edited by Jesus'Truth; 06-10-2023 at 04:38 AM..

Old 06-10-2023, 04:58 AM

15,981 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It can be if you don't take the words literally.

For example..."turn the other cheek" to me means don't seek revenge or vengeance or get all bent out of shape for something someone said/did (crimes excluded of course). That's my own interpretation.

Just "turn the other cheek" and continue on with your life.
The words that we read are only text. The meaning we bring to it is inspiration, which depends on the quality of the mind, its maturity and clarity. If it is clouded with emotions and suffering, all it will see is suffering.
We bring meaning to everything we do. There is no other intrinsic meaning to life.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:27 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The words that we read are only text. The meaning we bring to it is inspiration, which depends on the quality of the mind, its maturity and clarity. If it is clouded with emotions and suffering, all it will see is suffering.
We bring meaning to everything we do. There is no other intrinsic meaning to life.
I agree.
A person who sees the glass as "half empty" will see everything with that mindset.

Old 06-13-2023, 01:53 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The fruit of the spirit is Christianity with is by No mean an occult as Jesus Christ is supernatural and not just natural like the spirits of occult .................... The spirit fruits are Love and charity, Joy, peace, long-suffering, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, self-control, gentleness, .................... as these are the fruits of the spirits which are not natural human fruits, and must come from God as people who engage in these which are important for heaven but are through the spirit of Christ, can occur without help in the natural, like for example : Joy is profoundly right there with no effort, or peace or kindness right there in their spirit space
Have you ever heard of punctuation?

Old 06-13-2023, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
The Catholic church owns so many hospitals and if it weren't for their greed, many who go to hospitals for help wouldn't need insurance, or be hit with an outrageous hospital bill.

Take a trip to a hospital emergency room for a 30 minutes or less total time with a professional in the hospital you you will come out with a bill that is something like 400 for the doctor, and 4000 for the hospital.

The Catholic church also asks for money to pray for you.

Tell them someone you love died and they will send you a money choice for paying for prayers and lighting a candle for so many hours for your loved one.

Christians are supposed to help the sick and the needy, but the Catholics don't care how sick and needy you are they just want your money.
Oh? Really? What about Pat Robertson and the rest of televangelists who don’t do anything except ask for money?

I’m no longer Catholic or “christian” but I was raised and educated Catholic and some of the things you accuse the RCC of doing is complete BS.

You must be an evangelical “christian”. Why don’t you tell the Robertsons and the Falwell of this country to pay your medical bills?

Old 06-13-2023, 02:06 AM

Well, I’m going to vote for Judaism. Why? Because they do not proselytize. They do a great service to humanity by minding their own darn business.

Baruch Hashem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality