Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 08:56 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,812,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I think it would be interesting to apply this measure to religious groups/denominations/traditions. Which faiths do you see having a real observable positive influence in the world, while doing minimal harm?
(Please note that I don't intend this thread to discuss the reverse - traditions with a predominantly harmful influence - there's enough negativity on this forum already.)

Of course, wherever there are humans there will be some problems, but are there specific belief systems that actually consistently inspire people to be kinder, more generous, make ethical choices, etc?

My first thought is the Quakers (Society of Friends). For a relatively small movement (compared to other major Christian denominations) they've had a disproportionately strong influence on abolition, education, poverty relief, human rights, etc. And it seems to me that it's very unusual for Quakers as individuals or as a congregation to be involved in exploitative or violent activities.

What faiths have you observed as bearing "good fruits"?
It's not the professing christians, that's for sure. I think you're probably right, that Quakers contribute and live quiet, peaceful lives and that's admirable. But, it's still a religious cult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 09:12 PM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Sam Harris, despite his harsh criticism of organized religion in general, was always a big fan of Jainism, apparently a very peace-promoting religion. That said, I cannot judge Jainism as I've never met a single adherent! Most Jains live in India, and there are only 4-5 million followers worldwide. According to NatGeo, 'Jainism teaches that the path to enlightenment is through nonviolence and reducing harm to living things (including plants and animals) as much as possible.' Sounds pretty agreeable to me.
I worked with a Jain. He was somewhat annoying, not because of his religion, but his personality. He did explain some of the dietary rules to me. Milk and butter were good, because it made the cow more comfortable to take them, but root vegetables were a no-no because you were killing the plant.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:35 AM

16,831 posts, read 5,034,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The Catholic Church has objectively done the most good for humanity.

They invented hospitals and universities, and pioneered much of what makes life good that we take for granted today.
Medical health care existed before Christianity, who eventually excluded health care for non believers and heretics.

As for universities, they are just a specific type of educational establishment, which also existed before Christianity, and they also had a more relevant and varied syllabus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
There is a long list of Catholic Saints that have contributed more to the betterment of humanity than any list of people any other religion can put forth.
Yes, no more dragons. Thank you saint Georg.

Old 06-07-2023, 03:45 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,888,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Medical health care existed before Christianity, who eventually excluded health care for non believers and heretics.

As for universities, they are just a specific type of educational establishment, which also existed before Christianity, and they also had a more relevant and varied syllabus.
Yes, IIRC probably the oldest known public hospitals were Buddhist, in Sri Lanka. And Romans already were building hospitals before the Empire went Christian. And prior to the Enlightenment if you wanted health care that wasn't going to kill you, Persia was the place to be. And arguably the first university in the world was Islamic, in Timbuktu. But to be fair, the Catholic Church did build a lot of hospitals and schools, even if they didn't come up with the idea.

Old 06-07-2023, 04:20 AM

16,831 posts, read 5,034,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I think it would be interesting to apply this measure to religious groups/denominations/traditions. Which faiths do you see having a real observable positive influence in the world, while doing minimal harm?
(Please note that I don't intend this thread to discuss the reverse - traditions with a predominantly harmful influence - there's enough negativity on this forum already.)

Of course, wherever there are humans there will be some problems, but are there specific belief systems that actually consistently inspire people to be kinder, more generous, make ethical choices, etc?

My first thought is the Quakers (Society of Friends). For a relatively small movement (compared to other major Christian denominations) they've had a disproportionately strong influence on abolition, education, poverty relief, human rights, etc. And it seems to me that it's very unusual for Quakers as individuals or as a congregation to be involved in exploitative or violent activities.

What faiths have you observed as bearing "good fruits"?
I will offer Daoism as they are not common on this forum. As a religion and philosophy, they offer both self and community help, have influenced medicine in China, and have used science to understand their world instead of trying to force their religion on to science. It has been so influential in China that Daoism is a part of the culture even for non Daoists.

Old 06-07-2023, 08:38 AM

10,122 posts, read 6,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It's not the professing christians, that's for sure. I think you're probably right, that Quakers contribute and live quiet, peaceful lives and that's admirable. But, it's still a religious cult.
How, exactly, are the Quakers a religious "cult' in comparison to, say, Methodists or any other religious group?

Old 06-07-2023, 08:56 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,812,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
How, exactly, are the Quakers a religious "cult' in comparison to, say, Methodists or any other religious group?
All of Christianity is a cult. So that answers your question.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:44 AM

11,182 posts, read 7,234,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
All of Christianity is a cult. So that answers your question.
LOL There goes all your credibility, though that was already coming across strongly.

What's next? Time to curse the sun, good food, fresh air?

Old 06-07-2023, 11:21 AM

51,039 posts, read 24,537,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
LOL There goes all your credibility, though that was already coming across strongly.

I don't think it's that simple. There are quite a few different definitions for the word.

I wouldn't say christianity is -- in general -- a cult. But I do see some cultish behavior, and there are sects that are cults.

So there goes your credibility.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:26 AM

5,525 posts, read 7,364,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

Cult:
"a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object."

Just sayin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality