Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 11:29 AM

50,863 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Cult:
"a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object."

Just sayin
Yes, but that is only one definition. Another that I found was: "a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing". so it's loose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 11:44 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Quakers seem to be among the few who can focus on productive ways, while also avoiding the typical garbage of many churches and denominations. And not surprisingly, they are comparatively small in numbers (on the narrow path). They also have no desire for attention or numbers.
Quakers, aka: Friends, also have an offshoot that is atheistic and basically humanistic in outlook.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:48 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, but that is only one definition. Another that I found was: "a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing". so it's loose
My working definition is that it is just a religion that isn't very popular or mainstream, although, it helps solidify the moniker if it has UNUSUALLY strong in vs out-group ethos, such that you can't function freely in open society for terror of running into unapproved ideas.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:41 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,799,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
LOL There goes all your credibility, though that was already coming across strongly.

What's next? Time to curse the sun, good food, fresh air?
Hello to you too Thoreau. What credibility? I didn't know I needed credibility to be an atheist. That would be on you to make what you claim as credible, you know, with science in agreement. You can't do it. It's ok, atheists and scientists are working on it.

Um, atheists don't "curse" things, that would be witches and warlocks, and Christians. OH wait, do YOU take you lord's name in vain? Is that what you meant? No, being the accusatory elitist and judgmental good christian that you are means you have to shun all worldly things and people like us and we will be "cursed" by god and burned for all of eternity because your holy book says so....is that what really brings about peace?

Why do you think atheists curse things? Saying gd is telling god what to do, I hope you never say it. Cause that would be hypocritical. Telling god to curse something because you're mad at someone or thing, I don't think that your god is doing the cursing. It's you.

So, how many hexes have you put on me now? See how silly that sounds?

Old 06-08-2023, 10:52 AM

11,116 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Quakers, aka: Friends, also have an offshoot that is atheistic and basically humanistic in outlook.
If that's true, that's fine with me. The actions are what counts. The inputs can vary significantly, but the outputs of productivity, civility, harmony, understanding, and progress are really all that matters for the public / greater good. The inputs can be left to personal freedom and choice. Many roads can lead to healthy good. Too bad so many ignore the actions and "outputs", as I'm calling them, and nick-pick at the inputs. Completely stupid, but that's much of humanity these days.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:28 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,799,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think it's that simple. There are quite a few different definitions for the word.

I wouldn't say christianity is -- in general -- a cult. But I do see some cultish behavior, and there are sects that are cults.

So there goes your credibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Cult:
"a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object."

Just sayin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Hello to you too Thoreau. What credibility? I didn't know I needed credibility to be an atheist. That would be on you to make what you claim as credible, you know, with science in agreement. You can't do it. It's ok, atheists and scientists are working on it.

Um, atheists don't "curse" things, that would be witches and warlocks, and Christians. OH wait, do YOU take you lord's name in vain? Is that what you meant? No, being the accusatory elitist and judgmental good christian that you are means you have to shun all worldly things and people like us and we will be "cursed" by god and burned for all of eternity because your holy book says so....is that what really brings about peace?

Why do you think atheists curse things? Saying gd is telling god what to do, I hope you never say it. Cause that would be hypocritical. Telling god to curse something because you're mad at someone or thing, I don't think that your god is doing the cursing. It's you.

So, how many hexes have you put on me now? See how silly that sounds?
So many burns, so little time. What can one say when they've been put in their place? I guess nothing.

Dishes it out, but can't take it. Typical christianity.

"Bearing fruit" is a biblical term. Yes, "you will know them by their fruits" is about as common as a fruit fly. There is actually truth in that statement, it does not just apply to 'good' christians. Why the need to judge and condemn when someone disagrees with you?

You WILL be able to determine the motives and character of a person by their actions and charity. That's pretty much common sense. They do not always have to be christians, those who are charitable or giving, and it has nothing to do with religion.

Just being a good person and accepting of others who are different than yourself is real. Everything else is just fluff, just because a christian is being charitable doesn't mean they weren't coerced or forced into doing so for the 'church'.

Atheists are not curmudgeons waiting in the wings to convert you to the 'dark side'. That is satan worshippers. It is my opinion that all of christianity is a cult and I have my reasons for saying that. It wasn't just my particular brand of christianity. The definition of 'cult' has been presented, so I am correct.

I realize that there is a need to belong somewhere, even if it's the wrong place. If there are good christians, it's because they are naturally good people and it has nothing to do with religion. You can choose to be a good person, you know, without assigning a religion to it.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. I speak my peace, and you tell me I'm not credible. Do you think you're credible? Not in the least. My perspective is based on logic and reason. That doesn't exist in christianity. So actually, your own credibility is on the line here.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I think it would be interesting to apply this measure to religious groups/denominations/traditions. Which faiths do you see having a real observable positive influence in the world, while doing minimal harm?
(Please note that I don't intend this thread to discuss the reverse - traditions with a predominantly harmful influence - there's enough negativity on this forum already.)

Of course, wherever there are humans there will be some problems, but are there specific belief systems that actually consistently inspire people to be kinder, more generous, make ethical choices, etc?

My first thought is the Quakers (Society of Friends). For a relatively small movement (compared to other major Christian denominations) they've had a disproportionately strong influence on abolition, education, poverty relief, human rights, etc. And it seems to me that it's very unusual for Quakers as individuals or as a congregation to be involved in exploitative or violent activities.

What faiths have you observed as bearing "good fruits"?

All faiths teach to kindness, forbearance, and to do good.
The "fruits" are borne by people.
Don't mistake one for the other.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
All faiths teach to kindness, forbearance, and to do good.
The "fruits" are borne by people.
Don't mistake one for the other.
But some faiths are also very prone to violence and prejudice. And some people in some faiths use what is in their scriptures to justify violence and prejudice. You're of Indian heritage and, presumably are well aware of the history of religions in India and Pakistan and you don't know that?

Old 06-08-2023, 04:45 PM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
So many burns, so little time. What can one say when they've been put in their place? I guess nothing.

Dishes it out, but can't take it. Typical christianity.

"Bearing fruit" is a biblical term. Yes, "you will know them by their fruits" is about as common as a fruit fly. There is actually truth in that statement, it does not just apply to 'good' christians. Why the need to judge and condemn when someone disagrees with you?

You WILL be able to determine the motives and character of a person by their actions and charity. That's pretty much common sense. They do not always have to be christians, those who are charitable or giving, and it has nothing to do with religion.

Just being a good person and accepting of others who are different than yourself is real. Everything else is just fluff, just because a christian is being charitable doesn't mean they weren't coerced or forced into doing so for the 'church'.

Atheists are not curmudgeons waiting in the wings to convert you to the 'dark side'. That is satan worshippers. It is my opinion that all of christianity is a cult and I have my reasons for saying that. It wasn't just my particular brand of christianity. The definition of 'cult' has been presented, so I am correct.

I realize that there is a need to belong somewhere, even if it's the wrong place. If there are good christians, it's because they are naturally good people and it has nothing to do with religion. You can choose to be a good person, you know, without assigning a religion to it.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. I speak my peace, and you tell me I'm not credible. Do you think you're credible? Not in the least. My perspective is based on logic and reason. That doesn't exist in christianity. So actually, your own credibility is on the line here.
I agree.

Jesus didn't tell anyone what religion to belong to or to even leave and create a new one.
He just preached a way of life..a way that would bear fruit that others can see/use.

It's similar to "shine your light to others so they may see your good deeds"

All you need is Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.

Old 06-08-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I agree.

Jesus didn't tell anyone what religion to belong to or to even leave and create a new one.
He just preached a way of life..a way that would bear fruit that others can see/use.

It's similar to "shine your light to others so they may see your good deeds"

All you need is Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.
Intersting you should mention the Sermon On The Mount.

I think much of it is great advice for what happens after death. Not always such good advice for living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality