Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 12:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,232,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There is no other way to understand Divinity.
Sure there is. You can use Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary. US circuit courts do. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for the restivus.

Quote:
It is evident that there really is no bridge to connect spirituality of Divinity with atheism.
Of course there is. Divinity is the state of being divine and so I am my own god. I would be your god. I would be a good god for you. I promise I'll send you to heaven. And, I'll answer all of your prayers, you know, when I get around to it. Someday. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 12:07 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,232,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Oh okay. Well agreed, I don't think we necessarily need to know the exact minutae of everybody's lives and backstory, however a persons worldview is shaped almost entirely by their personal experience so I'm not sure there's ultimately any way of getting away from that.
That's absolutely right and that shaping begins in early childhood.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:10 PM

412 posts, read 139,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's absolutely right and that shaping begins in early childhood.
This is not an absolute truth. Some are left to figure it out on their own.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:14 PM

16,166 posts, read 7,138,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Sure there is. You can use Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary. US circuit courts do. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for the restivus.

Of course there is. Divinity is the state of being divine and so I am my own god. I would be your god. I would be a good god for you. I promise I'll send you to heaven. And, I'll answer all of your prayers, you know, when I get around to it. Someday. Maybe.

It is a bit precious how much Atheists just love their little dictionaries. They pull it out every time there is a bit of a challenge to their thinking, and it whispers to them all they need to know.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:21 PM

412 posts, read 139,577 times
Quote:
It is a bit precious how much Atheists just love their little dictionaries. They pull it out every time there is a bit of a challenge to their thinking, and it whispers to them all they need to know.
cb2008, please reconsider this post.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'd just throw out that sensing divinity (or cosmic intelligence, higher power) is less about thinking, and simply more about basic awareness. I wouldn't be surprised if even animals could pick up on it. It's not necessarily all and only for humans, it could extend much farther. We tend to complicate nearly everything.
I think knowing and sensing are close but not the same. I don't know how much dogs know but they do sense many things. Frogs, I am not sure what they sense. They don't linger long enough for me to tell. We all, humans, dogs, frogs, rocks, all are in the same Divinity, that is for sure, because there is nothing other than Divinity.

Somethings are complex. Not sure there is a way around it other than to unfold it.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:28 PM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
I think knowing and sensing are close but not the same. I don't know how much dogs know but they do sense many things. Frogs, I am not sure what they sense. They don't linger long enough for me to tell. We all, humans, dogs, frogs, rocks, all are in the same Divinity, that is for sure, because there is nothing other than Divinity.

Somethings are complex. Not sure there is a way around it other than to unfold it.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:29 PM

51,097 posts, read 24,599,714 times
Quote:
You've never gotten into discussions on this forum based on your preferred dictionary definitions???

Old 06-05-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Oh okay. Well agreed, I don't think we necessarily need to know the exact minutae of everybody's lives and backstory, however a persons worldview is shaped almost entirely by their personal experience so I'm not sure there's ultimately any way of getting away from that.

I've always said, I'm here to understand how people's minds tick and to understand where people are coming from in terms of what they believe.
I don't believe there are any two people alike, and that's what interests me.
Agreed that some people may not be here for the same reason.
I think deep down though, we are all here for some kind of personal exploration of ourselves, even those who are outwardly hostile.

I think that is very tricky road to cross. I don't care to reveal all my personal life here and yet a few posters take the liberty to make all kinds of assumptions about me such as where I live, how much English i know, whether I am fun or not fun at parties, my politics, my priorities. One poster said he thought I was a new-age type, whatever that is. It is damn annoying, I don't like it. I think we can have very good discussions here without scoping out personal experiences.

Am I here for personal exploration of myself? Frankly this will be the last place I would want to do that. It is way too toxic.
There are other forums which are more welcoming and open.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:04 PM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You've never gotten into discussions on this forum based on your preferred dictionary definitions???
Dictionary definitions are exoteric. CB prefers the esoteric definitions of Advaita, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality