Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 08:44 AM

412 posts, read 137,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
A few things strike me on reading this thread.

1. It's curious to me why you two bicker. From my perspective on reading your posts about your particular worldviews / religions / views on divinity or whatever you want to call it, strike me as quite similar. So I'm surprised you don't have more in common.

2. Perhaps 'Divinity' is also something that could be defined.

The opening post seems to me to be quite nicely written. Except I don't know why atheism is brought into it and why you couldn't have just written your post without that.

But since you did bring it in I will contribute my thoughts.

'Spirituality of divinity' Okay yes I agree. Atheists don't have 'spirituality of divinity'. I don't really know what you mean by divinity but I assume you just mean whatever you think of as god. Okay that far I agree.

But atheists are not without spirituality. Also I absolutely do think there can be dialogue. Otherwise why else are we all here? We are here to understand one another.
Some of us are not here for a personalized discussion. We are here to learn about the multitude of beliefs from around the world and perhaps view photography from someone's travels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 08:47 AM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Some of us are not here for a personalized discussion. We are here to learn about the multitude of beliefs from around the world and perhaps view photography from someone's travels.

?

I'm talking about this particular R&S forum.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
?

I'm talking about this particular R&S forum.
Me too.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Me too.

I don't understand what you mean then by you are not here for personalised discussion. You are here right now discussing this with me. Genuinely confused.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean then by you are not here for personalised discussion. You are here right now discussing this with me. Genuinely confused.
I am not inquiring anything about you personally and I was attempting to clarify why some posters are here.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I am not inquiring anything about you personally and I was attempting to clarify why some posters are here.

Oh okay. Well agreed, I don't think we necessarily need to know the exact minutae of everybody's lives and backstory, however a persons worldview is shaped almost entirely by their personal experience so I'm not sure there's ultimately any way of getting away from that.

I've always said, I'm here to understand how people's minds tick and to understand where people are coming from in terms of what they believe.
I don't believe there are any two people alike, and that's what interests me.
Agreed that some people may not be here for the same reason.
I think deep down though, we are all here for some kind of personal exploration of ourselves, even those who are outwardly hostile.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Oh okay. Well agreed, I don't think we necessarily need to know the exact minutae of everybody's lives and backstory, however a persons worldview is shaped almost entirely by their personal experience so I'm not sure there's ultimately any way of getting away from that.

I've always said, I'm here to understand how people's minds tick and to understand where people are coming from in terms of what they believe.
I don't believe there are any two people alike, and that's what interests me.
Agreed that some people may not be here for the same reason.
I think deep down though, we are all here for some kind of personal exploration of ourselves, even those who are outwardly hostile.
Yes, I would love to explore some concepts that are not up for discussion IRL. Unfortunately, when people attach their baggage, online topics tend to become guarded and/or off-limits as well.

Thanks for the discussion!

Old 06-05-2023, 09:13 AM

15,971 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
A few things strike me on reading this thread.

1. It's curious to me why you two bicker. From my perspective on reading your posts about your particular worldviews / religions / views on divinity or whatever you want to call it, strike me as quite similar. So I'm surprised you don't have more in common.

2. Perhaps 'Divinity' is also something that could be defined.

The opening post seems to me to be quite nicely written. Except I don't know why atheism is brought into it and why you couldn't have just written your post without that.

But since you did bring it in I will contribute my thoughts.

'Spirituality of divinity' Okay yes I agree. Atheists don't have 'spirituality of divinity'. I don't really know what you mean by divinity but I assume you just mean whatever you think of as god. Okay that far I agree.

But atheists are not without spirituality. Also I absolutely do think there can be dialogue. Otherwise why else are we all here? We are here to understand one another.
Thank you for your thoughtful post, Cruithne.
1) Mystic and I don’t bicker. We are having difficulty understanding each other’s perspective on Divinity. It seems to me Mystic has difficulty understanding his own perspective. And i feel this is one reason why he struggles with what seems to be anger and frustration.
So obviously our spiritual paths are not the same. If i am unable to understand him it cannot be the same.
2). True, Divinity can be defined as well. I prefer not to use God as it is too loaded a term that signifies a Christian concept of an anthropomorphic, male, old, creator who punishes and rewards. That is not what I would call God or Ishvara, lord of the universe, who is not androgynous but has both aspects of what we consider male and female qualities, which can be problematic if misunderstood. You can see it is too complex for this post.
The Divinity i refer to is Brhman and Ishvara, the one that belongs to the Cosmos and one that belongs to the World, but they are not distinct and separate either. I see an affinity to the way God and Jesus are understood.

Glad you like the post as written. Atheism is mentioned because it always forms, i would say intrudes and inserts itself, as part of the discussion on Religion and Spirituality. Why, I don’t know, it is what it is. I, personally, have decided that it is not productive for me to engage with most atheists who post copiously here. We seem to be at cross purposes, it gets downright nasty, and it sullies the spirit. I do not see any evidence that we are here to understand each other. It seems more like a battle of useless and meaningless gotcha arguments, juvenile, and it is ugly. Of course not all atheists do that and it has been my pleasure to engage with the few of you in this forum.
We must define spirituality differently then. To me spirituality is in the seeking and in the worship of Divinity in the form of deity. I believe Atheism precludes Deity or worship, so not sure what is left. If it is merely appreciation of Nature, well nature is nothing but Divinity, Ishvara.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:33 AM

Thank you.
Just wanted to let you know that I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I don't have time right now and want to give a considered response. So I'll have to come back at a later time.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:18 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
I'd just throw out that sensing divinity (or cosmic intelligence, higher power) is less about thinking, and simply more about basic awareness. I wouldn't be surprised if even animals could pick up on it. It's not necessarily all and only for humans, it could extend much farther. We tend to complicate nearly everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality