Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 04:21 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

A discussion on another thread reminded me of this beautiful passage from The Merchant of Venice - William Shakespeare

The quality of mercy is not strained;
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
'T is mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown:
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings,
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew*,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
That, in the course of justice, none of us
Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy;
And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
The deeds of mercy.
I have spoke thus much
To mitigate the justice of thy plea;
Which if thou follow, this strict court of Venice
Must needs give sentence 'gainst the merchant there.

* Shakespeare has been accused of Anti-Semitism for his portrayal of Shylock. In fact his portrayal only brings to fore the humanity of Shylock, his suffering due to prejudice, "if you prick us do we not bleed?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2023, 11:10 PM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This is very much on topic. That you feel attacked is a problem and you may need to examine the reason.
The reason is you usually need to attack, so I presumed this was just another implication that we simply 'trot out, almost verbatim' without actually thinking about what we post. If this was not your intent, I apologize.

Quote:
What was said was Vedanta on the one side, and the Bible of Science and EVIDENCE on the other. Your side won the debate, you will be happy to know.
All 4 debaters are with scientific backgrounds and practicing scientists, medical professionals. As scientists the Vedantists are knowledge wise at an advantage, you can not unknow what you know and practice.

The EVIDENCE side are disadvantaged, they have 0 insight about Consciousness and so argue from a kind of blindness. They are unable to get past materialism, and stumble with synonyms. They might have even pulled out their dictionaries.
No, YOU also have no insight about Consciousness with a 'C', it is an invention without evidence that ignores the evidence we do have. We could get past materialism if you finally provided evidence for something beyond materialism, which is a conclusion of science, not a framework.

Quote:
As for the audience, Vedanta requires study and understanding. It is not for everyone and will not win popularity contest.
If only there was someone who could explain the actual principles, and not their interpretation of them.

Old 07-30-2023, 12:26 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The reason is you usually need to attack, so I presumed this was just another implication that we simply 'trot out, almost verbatim' without actually thinking about what we post. If this was not your intent, I apologize.

No, YOU also have no insight about Consciousness with a 'C', it is an invention without evidence that ignores the evidence we do have. We could get past materialism if you finally provided evidence for something beyond materialism, which is a conclusion of science, not a framework.

If only there was someone who could explain the actual principles, and not their interpretation of them.
I try to keep in mind that we have posters who are just another who thinks that their belief system is the right one. No real difference in terms of attitude of a born again christian. 'I'm right and all of you are wrong'. Big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality