Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 03:42 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One of our posters just a couple of days ago, and other posters in the past.

As far as making stuff up...do you mean like three-headed elephant gods?
Yes there’s a bit of a stereotype with Buddhists as being extreme pacifists, deeply entranced in mediation and peaceful pursuits etc.
Maybe it’s a Hollywood or celebrity thing, of those that dabble in Buddhism.
The opposite of an aggressive, controlling religion like Scientology, that also attracts high profile celebrities.
But thanks for your insights into this religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 04:00 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Yes there’s a bit of a stereotype with Buddhists as being extreme pacifists, deeply entranced in mediation and peaceful pursuits etc.
Maybe it’s a Hollywood or celebrity thing, of those that dabble in Buddhism.
The opposite of an aggressive, controlling religion like Scientology, that also attracts high profile celebrities.
But thanks for your insights into this religion.
Thanks...but remember, the musings are mine.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:18 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This may seem plausible only from a single lifespan standpoint.
From that of many many existences, perspective changes.
Problem with the human perception is that it is very limited, to single life. While one karma, action, may manifest itself many lives later.
After all, cosmos and us in it, is a very complex interveined structure. It takes very precise congruence of many factors, for karmaic action to finally manifests itself into a physical event of some sort. So that the fine fabric of cosmos and order in it is not interrupted.
So a bit like god, then, karma isn't usually observable.

It's kind of like how when a wrong is committed, and justice isn't served until years or decades later, as well as possibly after the victim's death and that of their loved ones ... so no one who actually cares ever sees justice done. "Justice delayed is justice denied", as the saying goes.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:26 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Passivity never occurred to me about Buddhists, just calmness and peacefulness.
Sometimes people struggle with the concept of acceptance that Buddhism teaches. It is difficult at first to understand how that doesn't equate to passivity, or even indifference. As I understand it, though (Phet or other Buddhists will probably do a better job than I of explaining it), nothing in Buddhism encourages not advocating for or helping those who are disadvantaged or wronged, not taking active steps to do what can be done. It is more about not worrying or obsessing over things you can't control, rather taking the position that there's nothing at all in your scope of ability that you might be obligated to do.

It is not something you'd come to overnight though; we're used to "venting" / being outraged as a release and I'm given to understand that Buddhism isn't about repressing your feelings but changing your view of things so that you are less perturbable to begin with.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:07 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

It's kind of like how when a wrong is committed, and justice isn't served until years or decades later, as well as possibly after the victim's death and that of their loved ones ... so no one who actually cares ever sees justice done. "Justice delayed is justice denied", as the saying goes.
Vengence does not belong to Divinity, only to the linited human mind and emotions. This is why Buddha taught karuna, compassion, not vengence. Justice is a limited human concept, karma is cosmic. As long as we have to deal with this world that we have created, we try to form a civil society. Is no way or form is that perfect, because humans are not perfect. The cosmic order works its own way and is not bound by the capriciousness of humans.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Vengence does not belong to Divinity, only to the linited human mind and emotions. This is why Buddha taught karuna, compassion, not vengence. Justice is a limited human concept, karma is cosmic. As long as we have to deal with this world that we have created, we try to form a civil society. Is no way or form is that perfect, because humans are not perfect. The cosmic order works its own way and is not bound by the capriciousness of humans.
But nobody has been talking about vengeance, until YOU brought it up.

Karma is not cosmic. It is cause and effect. You have the mistaken impression that karma is cosmic justice.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:59 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:

Well, not exactly. I think, you intentionally over exaggerating and twisting what was said, to match your opinion previously expressed. And I think, you are confusing justice with revenge.
As I said, it depends. Some acts can be exteriorized into their consecutive results instantly. Took me only about 3 hours to be badly punished, for the rest of my life, for taking a blunt tipped knife at a guy. And I am not talking police and such. I am talking about being hit with an industrial cultivator, across my face, what almost killed me, should it hit 2 inches to the right, in the temple, not across my nose. I am paying for this with impaired breathing and disfigured face since 1986.

Exteriorization of karmaic action is a very complex process, it requires major celestial alignment to occur.Sometimes, it occurs instantly. Sometimes, when conditions are ripe.

Also, how do you know, what is punishment and what is blessing? All this is more than relative and humane. As it's been said - thou shan't judge, as you have no measure. You still think in very narrow categories of one life and in very narrow categories of your indoctrination of what good and bad is. Acupuncture principles were discovered by a guy, being shot with an arrow, with intention to kill him, but shooter missed and hit his leg. Guy suffered from terrible migraines, but after arrow penetrated certain nerve nexus in his leg, pain vanished. What is bad and what is good here?

True justice may be served only by one, who knows all repercussions of any action, no matter how small, through generations to come. Who has such knowledge, if not godlike creature? And then - who else has any right to judge?

Here's The Law

This is the law: Every thing existing on the physical
plane is an exteriorization of a thought, which must be
balanced through the one who issued the thought, and in
accordance with that one’s responsibility
, at the conjunction
of time, condition, and place.

This law of thought is destiny. It has aspects which have
been expressed by such terms as kismet, nemesis, karma,
fate, fortune, foreordination, predestination, Providence, the
Will of God, the law of cause and effect, the law of causation,
retribution, punishment and reward, hell and heaven.

maybe, before reflectively responding with something, think about it? As it is one and only law, that universe operates on.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 05-30-2023 at 09:10 PM..

Old 05-30-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, not exactly. I think, you intentionally over exaggerating and twisting what was said, to match your opinion previously expressed. And I think, you are confusing justice with revenge.
As I said, it depends. Some acts can be exteriorized into their consecutive results instantly. Took me only about 3 hours to be badly punished, for the rest of my life, for taking a blunt tipped knife at a guy. And I am not talking police and such. I am talking about being hit with an industrial cultivator, across my face, what almost killed me, should it hit 2 inches to the right, in the temple, not across my nose. I am paying for this with impaired breathing and disfigured face since 1986.

Exteriorization of karmaic action is a very complex process, it requires major celestial alignment to occur.Sometimes, it occurs instantly. Sometimes, when conditions are ripe.

Also, how do you know, what is punishment and what is blessing? All this is more than relative and humane. As it's been said - thou shan't judge, as you have no measure. You still think in very narrow categories of one life and in very narrow categories of your indoctrination of what good and bad is. Acupuncture principles were discovered by a guy, being shot with an arrow, with intention to kill him, but shooter missed and hit his leg. Guy suffered from terrible migraines, but after arrow penetrated certain nerve nexus in his leg, pain vanished. What is bad and what is good here?

True justice may be served only by one, who knows all repercussions of any action, no matter how small, through generations to come. Who has such knowledge, if not godlike creature? And then - who else has any right to judge?

Here's The Law

This is the law: Every thing existing on the physical
plane is an exteriorization of a thought, which must be
balanced through the one who issued the thought, and in
accordance with that one’s responsibility
, at the conjunction
of time, condition, and place.

This law of thought is destiny. It has aspects which have
been expressed by such terms as kismet, nemesis, karma,
fate, fortune, foreordination, predestination, Providence, the
Will of God, the law of cause and effect, the law of causation,
retribution, punishment and reward, hell and heaven.

maybe, before reflectively responding with something, think about it? As it is one and only law, that universe operates on.
There is NO way that you can prove that what happened to you had anything to do with karma.

And any idea that karma is a "law" is unsupportable beyond personal opinion.

Old 05-30-2023, 10:14 PM

5,902 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
Sometimes people struggle with the concept of acceptance that Buddhism teaches. It is difficult at first to understand how that doesn't equate to passivity, or even indifference. As I understand it, though (Phet or other Buddhists will probably do a better job than I of explaining it), nothing in Buddhism encourages not advocating for or helping those who are disadvantaged or wronged, not taking active steps to do what can be done. It is more about not worrying or obsessing over things you can't control, rather taking the position that there's nothing at all in your scope of ability that you might be obligated to do.

It is not something you'd come to overnight though; we're used to "venting" / being outraged as a release and I'm given to understand that Buddhism isn't about repressing your feelings but changing your view of things so that you are less perturbable to begin with.
I guess so, I was against Buddhism as a christian even though I didn't really know anything about it. It's so great to learn from some of the proponents of their religion. Haha that's funny I need your help right now if you're still here. Incoming thread.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:06 AM

551 posts, read 190,091 times
Concerning Karma and the Buddhist take, how is the circle squared between no-self and transmigration/reincarnation? If there is no-self what transmigrates? Could it be as simple as misinterpretation, i.e. not-self vs. no-self?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality