Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 03:15 AM

551 posts, read 192,591 times

Advertisements

Am I conscious or Am I Consciousness Itself? That which is limited and subject to change or That which is without limit and changeless?

https://youtu.be/gQWEh9AC1K8?t=2137
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 08:11 AM

15,983 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Am I conscious or Am I Consciousness Itself? That which is limited and subject to change or That which is without limit and changeless?

That which is limited cannot know it self to be unlimited. This understanding needs to come from an external source. That source is the teachings of Advaita - scriptures.
The teaching Tatvamasi (That you are) is not instinctual. If the self tries to recognize this by itself, it will continue to be under the grip of the ego.

Last edited by cb2008; 05-28-2023 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-28-2023, 10:37 AM

19,057 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post

Both.
Everything is conscious. Everything is conscious, as its function, on the Nature side. On the Intelligence side, everything is, at the minimum, conscious that it is conscious. Cogito, ergo sum.

On the Intelligence side, everything is conscious THROUGH The Light of Intelligence.

You are Self Conscious vs me conscious, or them conscious.

Your personality, though, is just a temporary mask. Through existences, we put on myriads of those masks. A man, a woman, a warrior, a slave, a trader, a scientists and so on. Choices are innumerable. With every death a mask is shed and a new one acquired after birth and with raring and indoctrination by society and family.

You are a duality. You are Consciousness and your are Self conscious. You are drop and you are the ocean.

Old 05-28-2023, 11:13 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,344,758 times
Keep going.

If anyone can solve the riddle of consciousness,

there's a Nobel Prize with your name on it.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:19 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Both. Everything is conscious.
That would make you evil.

You might actually be able to justify murdering a sentient being like a carrot, but you couldn't possible justify murdering sentient beings like trees and rocks just so you can have a McMansion or a cell phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You are a duality. You are Consciousness and your are Self conscious. You are drop and you are the ocean.
Actually, no. You are conscious only because chemicals interact with highly specialized biological cells in your brain.

I can take any number of actions to impede the chemical process and/or damage or destroy the highly specialized biological cells in your brain and you would no longer be conscious.

I suppose that makes me a god-thing.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:20 PM

20,026 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Keep going.

If anyone can solve the riddle of consciousness,

there's a Nobel Prize with your name on it.
The current developments in Large Language Model-based AI's may be unintentionally solving the riddle.

Unfortunately it is not flattering to humans. It increasingly appears that agency, intuition, self-awareness and higher level reasoning may simply be emergent properties of sufficiently large data sets with sufficient compute power. In other words our brains are just pattern matching engines with a tendency to bias and dumb mistakes ... just like AIs.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Actually, no. You are conscious only because chemicals interact with highly specialized biological cells in your brain.
That is not known, as in "The Hard Problem of Consciousness". Consciousness eludes scientific explanation.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The current developments in Large Language Model-based AI's may be unintentionally solving the riddle.

Unfortunately it is not flattering to humans. It increasingly appears that agency, intuition, self-awareness and higher level reasoning may simply be emergent properties of sufficiently large data sets with sufficient compute power. In other words our brains are just pattern matching engines with a tendency to bias and dumb mistakes ... just like AIs.
Pretty much.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:49 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,344,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

I've been following many of the AI developments with fascination and dread.

Makes me wish I was in my 20's again ( I think )

Hear Musk may be getting the go ahead for his limplant technology .
Eventually, maybe we'll be inhabiting the cloud, and downloading ourselves into a cyborg a thousand years from now.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I've been following many of the AI developments with fascination and dread.

Makes me wish I was in my 20's again ( I think )

Hear Musk may be getting the go ahead for his limplant technology .
Eventually, maybe we'll be inhabiting the cloud, and downloading ourselves into a cyborg a thousand years from now.
Larry Niven's "Known Space" novels. Wire Heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality