Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 08:52 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Even more fundamental than that. What illumines qualia? Taken to its deepest level what illumines the sense of "I"? That unchanging sense of being regardless of changes to body and mind across decades, across an entire life and still "I" remains constant regardless of qualia/raw experience.
How are we using the term "illuminate"? I think this brings us back to the mechanics like other posters were saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 09:00 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
I see, hear, smell, touch and taste, therefore I Am.
I think, therefore I Am.
I experience what I think, therefore I Am.
I Am.
I.
Silence

You do none of that.

Your SENSES supply mind with sensory feedback. Mind processes feedback and determines it as this or that. How your mind determines this or that is resulting from how that mind was conditioned from the birth of the body and until mind became mature enough to make statements of such nature.
Everything, that you "think" is product of body mind. You only observe its workings, believing, that it is YOU thinking. One, that knows how to stop thinking, find out that, not thinking, it still IS.

How is I developed? It starts from a ripple in the fabric of Substance, caused by Consciousness. A new unit of nature is designed and comes into Space, into the Nature side.
Through countless interactions with the other units, through more and more complex functions and through more and more Consciousness allotted to it, that unit reaches stage, when it becomes ripe and realizes, that it is conscious. It becomes Self - conscious and, thus, becomes a unit of the Intelligence side.

That unit is a unique result of immense period of progression and development. Thus, that unit is different from the other units, as each one has its own path and its own experiences.
That makes that unit SELF, with the sense of I-ness, I-amness.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:04 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That would make you evil.

You might actually be able to justify murdering a sentient being like a carrot, but you couldn't possible justify murdering sentient beings like trees and rocks just so you can have a McMansion or a cell phone.

Actually, no. You are conscious only because chemicals interact with highly specialized biological cells in your brain.

I can take any number of actions to impede the chemical process and/or damage or destroy the highly specialized biological cells in your brain and you would no longer be conscious.

I suppose that makes me a god-thing.
There is a difference between biological concious-ness and the Consciousness which is awareness of having been unconscious. Yes, biological consciousness can be be impeded with chemical or physical process or damage. The Consciousness that is awareness is always present and this is what makes us aware that we are aware, that we have lost our sight, that we are aging.
Measuring and testing of THIS Consciousness is the hard problem. We have no understanding of this awareness and there is no tool we know of or can design to measure or observe. But we know it exists.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:08 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
How are we using the term "illuminate"? I think this brings us back to the mechanics like other posters were saying.
We define it as awareness, the sense that we have aged, that our mind is playing tricks, our eyes dont see as well. Our eyes cannot judge that, it is not the brain or the mind. It is awareness, and the awareness that we are aware.
Deepity, yes. Some things are.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:32 AM

551 posts, read 191,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You do none of that.

Your SENSES supply mind with sensory feedback. Mind processes feedback and determines it as this or that. How your mind determines this or that is resulting from how that mind was conditioned from the birth of the body and until mind became mature enough to make statements of such nature.
Everything, that you "think" is product of body mind. You only observe its workings, believing, that it is YOU thinking. One, that knows how to stop thinking, find out that, not thinking, it still IS.

How is I developed? It starts from a ripple in the fabric of Substance, caused by Consciousness. A new unit of nature is designed and comes into Space, into the Nature side.
Through countless interactions with the other units, through more and more complex functions and through more and more Consciousness allotted to it, that unit reaches stage, when it becomes ripe and realizes, that it is conscious. It becomes Self - conscious and, thus, becomes a unit of the Intelligence side.

That unit is a unique result of immense period of progression and development. Thus, that unit is different from the other units, as each one has its own path and its own experiences.
That makes that unit SELF, with the sense of I-ness, I-amness.
It's a progression from the gross to the subtle to beyond the subtle (Silence). Basically the Cliff Notes version of Ramana Mharshi's "Who Am I?' and probably where Descartes would have arrived had he continued his inquiry.

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy; 05-29-2023 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-29-2023, 09:35 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There is a difference between biological concious-ness and the Consciousness which is awareness of having been unconscious. Yes, biological consciousness can be be impeded with chemical or physical process or damage. The Consciousness that is awareness is always present and this is what makes us aware that we are aware, that we have lost our sight, that we are aging.
Measuring and testing of THIS Consciousness is the hard problem.
Now you are redefining the hard problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
We have no understanding of this awareness and there is no tool we know of or can design to measure or observe. But we know it exists.
We can not measure or observe 'Consciousness', but we know it exists because ...?

Old 05-29-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
It's only an analogy as it's beyond intellectual comprehension and therefore language. If That could be described in detail, that wouldn't be That.

It really can't be explained, only realized as the knowing of direct and raw experience/qualia.

In Samadhi it's the knowing of experience of absence.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:46 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
It's only an analogy as it's beyond intellectual comprehension and therefore language. If That could be described in detail, that wouldn't be That.

It really can't be explained, only realized as the knowing of direct and raw experience/qualia.

I think of the qualia as the illumination. Ie With awareness I can understand what a table is used for but the table has no understanding of it's purpose.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:56 AM

1,480 posts, read 479,838 times
Quote:

I removed the color from the word "knowing", as it is not in agreement with the bolded sentence, which suggests the seeking of complete darkness.

Last edited by chief scum; 05-29-2023 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-29-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I think of the qualia as the illumination. Ie With awareness I can understand what a table is used for but the table has no understanding of it's purpose.
In philosophy of mind qualia are the instances of subjective experience. Red is qualia. Hot is qualia. I know is qualia. I don't know is qualia, etc... Do they all have something in common?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality