Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 12:05 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This thread and this forum is very revealing of people. Most of us can see the difference among posters: those who seek disunity and complaint, and those trying to seek common ground. The first leave an empty and void legacy of ruin and waste; the latter, hope and attempts at a greater good. Even if you leave God out of the picture, others and possibly the universe will see the difference, and what makes a difference. Some will waste an entire life, and squander much that they have and won't see.
Or option 3, those who recognize your black and white view of the posters here is too simple to be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 12:08 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
My point is, that I can't see any reason to be atheist, just because religions make you feel uncomfortable for whatever reason.
I know of no atheist who does not believe simply because religions make them feel uncomfortable. The reasons many atheists feel uncomfortable with religion is the same for theists who feel uncomfortable, the problem with rigid dogma, and the evils of ancient moral systems that has no place in a world that needs more tolerant ideas.

Old 02-15-2023, 06:43 AM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
No one is forcing, though when one is born into a religion, all the old bottomless pit stuff is somewhat forced onto you, and also, for some odd reason, many schools won't accept pupils that don't belong to a church. My point is, that I can't see any reason to be atheist, just because religions make you feel uncomfortable for whatever reason. I'm not of any particular religion, though, no doubt, I'd be seen as a non believer/atheist, by those that are. I also may have higher standards than many in recognized religions too.

It's a never ending source of amazement to me, the misconceptions people have about atheism.

You think because you don't belong to a religion, people think you're an atheist?

Old 02-15-2023, 07:12 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
If I were to offer you the idea of the belief in God, but with no connection to religious teachings, of any kind, would that be acceptable?

Not a being that humans are created in the image of, but a being of light and unbelievable love.

To atheists, is it the religion part that causes problems?

Just questions, but maybe an answer too.
Nope. This seems like a half baked idea.

If I were to believe in God who created me, then the next question is, what is the purpose of my creation and what does God want me to do, and how do I spend the limited time and resources given to me before the bell rings and it’s time to go back?

And to answer this question, you need to find God’s message thru all the books that claim to be Holy Scriptures and see what talks to your heart?
You then try to live your life as per the guidance provided by your religion and holy book.

Otherwise if I believe that God created me for no reason and there is no purpose of my life, then you run into the dilemma of what to do now?
Just do whatever one else does?

Go to school, find a job/business, have kids, work, sleep, eat n die - just like billions of others do. There is no right or wrong. As long as the local law of the land doesn’t catch me, I can kill, rape, steal, and do injustice to others.

Or if I try to do only good things in my life, avoid everything that is considered bad (as many Atheists here will claim to have been doing) and then die, and that’s the end of it all? So what?

If that’s what life is all about - then I am not that interested.

Everyone is doing it and repeating the same thing over n over again. What difference does it make if I am not part of it?

Religion is not the problem - religious guidance gives a message of living a morally cautious life in harmony.

It’s some of the HUMANS who manipulate religious message to astray the masses, and achieve their hidden agendas, and gain personal and political benefits - it’s the wolves in religious cloaks- and there are many.

Also, yes God in my opinion is merciful and he forgives if we honestly repent but God is not always love, love and love.

We surely do not understand EVERYTHING that God does, but God does justice too.
And delivering that justice is not always based on love love and love. Otherwise, it’s not justice.

God shows you a green line and a red line.
And makes it clear that following the green line has benefits. And following the redline comes with a warning that may have consequences.

It’s then up to the human as to which line he wants to follow?

Last edited by GoCardinals; 02-15-2023 at 07:44 AM..

Old 02-15-2023, 08:16 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It's a never ending source of amazement to me, the misconceptions people have about atheism.

You think because you don't belong to a religion, people think you're an atheist?

As one that's once been accused of worshiping aliens, just for accepting the idea that some may exist, and this was by a born again Christian. I wouldn't know what to think.

People do get emotional. I'm just glad I don't have those.

Old 02-16-2023, 03:40 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
For God the creator He created man and women to be one with Him, so people do not become truly alive until they are one with God in spirit ...... In this world the wicked spirits of this world will control the free will of people in mind and health of body and there is nothing they can do without God.... If you don't believe that you are deceived about God and have a poor witness of the truth

Old 02-16-2023, 04:14 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Quote:
If I were to offer you the idea of the belief in God, but with no connection to religious teachings, of any kind, would that be acceptable?

...a being of light and unbelievable love.

Yes.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:24 PM

77 posts, read 18,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
I agree with you; however, some will argue that freedom of religion allows people to detract from science.
Hmm... From my experience on these forums it's the religious ones that detract from science, and even rational thinking.

So please explain what you mean.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:40 PM

77 posts, read 18,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This thread and this forum is very revealing of people. Most of us can see the difference among posters: those who seek disunity and complaint, and those trying to seek common ground. The first leave an empty and void legacy of ruin and waste; the latter, hope and attempts at a greater good. Even if you leave God out of the picture, others and possibly the universe will see the difference, and what makes a difference. Some will waste an entire life, and squander much that they have and won't see.
Don't be so quick to judge the intent behind people's approach.

I am here to make these religious folks see that there is WAY more to God, this world, this universe, and their life, than what they are lied about in their silly man made mythologies/religious books that are all so spiritually clueless that there really is no "common ground". And it's really tough getting thru the religious brainwashing. They throw out every manner of deceit, lies, tricks, etc. to avoid seeing the obvious falseness of their religions.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:02 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evenstar View Post
Don't be so quick to judge the intent behind people's approach.

I am here to make these religious folks see that there is WAY more to God, this world, this universe, and their life, than what they are lied about in their silly man made mythologies/religious books that are all so spiritually clueless that there really is no "common ground". And it's really tough getting thru the religious brainwashing. They throw out every manner of deceit, lies, tricks, etc. to avoid seeing the obvious falseness of their religions.
Such blanket dismissals are seldom correct because we are all looking at the same world so there is some underlying kernel of validity to virtually every version. I would recommend that you read my blogs on the forum for a concise Synthesis and encapsulation of a more spiritual understanding of God as seen through the lenses of science and theology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality