Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 09:03 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,215,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
the bolded...that's very convenient
He's kinda like The Force in that way. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 09:09 AM

13,655 posts, read 10,047,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
sure...but apparently he's in another town...the town of Inabsentia
Visited me.

Old 02-13-2023, 09:42 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,347,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
If I were to offer you the idea of the belief in God, but with no connection to religious teachings, of any kind, would that be acceptable?

Not a being that humans are created in the image of, but a being of light and unbelievable love.

To atheists, is it the religion part that causes problems?

Just questions, but maybe an answer too.
Assuming you could get two people to believe exactly what you mean, I suppose that would be
"Acceptable" to them.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:16 AM

16,003 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
More about, why anyone needs an organized religion, when religions, have some strange moral codes, and a whole load of assumptions. I mean, why must we all be sinners, be forever asking for forgiveness, and be forgiving? Why must we accept others to be better than ourselves? Why look at everything in nature, as though it were put there to be our our play thing, or our commodity to strip?
Why indeed? Why do you have such needs and expectations? Who is forcing you? Is it your state?

Old 02-13-2023, 02:15 PM

13,655 posts, read 10,047,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Why indeed? Why do you have such needs and expectations? Who is forcing you? Is it your state?
No one is forcing, though when one is born into a religion, all the old bottomless pit stuff is somewhat forced onto you, and also, for some odd reason, many schools won't accept pupils that don't belong to a church. My point is, that I can't see any reason to be atheist, just because religions make you feel uncomfortable for whatever reason. I'm not of any particular religion, though, no doubt, I'd be seen as a non believer/atheist, by those that are. I also may have higher standards than many in recognized religions too.

Old 02-13-2023, 03:03 PM

7,598 posts, read 6,097,347 times
Quote:
If I were to offer you the idea of the belief in God, but with no connection to religious teachings, of any kind, would that be acceptable?

Not a being that humans are created in the image of, but a being of light and unbelievable love.

Well religious PEOPLE are the problem.

Now in regards to religion, rites, dogma, rituals, that remains a personal preference.

For me, it is more about Aestheticism than anything else.
I list the following religions as the best based on rituals/services/ etc
Episcopal Church /Anglican communion (High mass only)
Tridentine Latin Mass
Buddhist meditations (guided)

Now again, that is based only on the public services and is based only on which services I find inspiring and useful in my life

Religions I would choose, if I had to?
Self-Realization Fellowship of the Paramahansa Yogananda
Church of the Sub-Genius
Unity School of CHristianity
Mayahana Buddhism

All of these seek, in some way, to either entertain or enhance that which we as humans want to referto as a "spiritua;" experience.

But within the teachings of these religions past the theism, there is much to be gained. For me, The problem has always and I mean ALWAYS come from conflicts with members of the religion.

I certainly like attending the Episcopal church because everyone there leaves others alone!!!!!!!! IF I want someone in my business, I will invite them. Try that with a Christian Fundy ...they have miserable lives and seek to control others or live through others as a result. And they are more concerned with What a person claims to believe than the character of the person. Most of whom, I have discovered, are not all that admirable in this area anyway.

But consider this. If I sit through a Tridentine Latin Mass in a cathedral, and I walk out thinking about not just how beautiful the service was, but how inspired I am by the beauty and peace and I translate that to doing more to help others and develop my own character, which includes not only self love and self respect, but how we treat others when no one is watching and when there is no benefit to ourselves.......then have I not benefited from that religion?

I would say that I identify as an Atheist because I do not believe in the existence of an entity ,or being, known as god....To me, "god" is just an abstract concept, an ideal, and the personal god or gods are those which we as individuals have that allows us to conceptualize that which is holy and sacred. My concept or idea of a god is not the same as someone else's and realistically, no two people could have that same concept because no two people have identical experiences to formulate a concept and definition of their god. For me, there is no such thing as a god, BUT I could create a god and then seek ways as a human to become more godlike.
Religion is not required for that. Religion does offer a definition of god, but in the end, the concept of what or who or where a god is must be accepted or fabricated by the mind of the individual.

Later this week, I have to take a carload of clothes to a clothes closet at a local church. The items will be handed out, for free, to the neediest of people in the community. I am not doing it because some god, or some self=proclaimed follower of god said that I should; I am doing it simply because someone somewhere might need the clothes, and if I were in that person's situation, I would be thankful for the fact that someone else, somewhere, cares about my condition.

I don't get any reward, or punishment (sorry religious ones) I do not make any money off this (I make money through my salary at my job though) I leave with the knowledge that goods are not wasted, and someone is helped. That is far more important than worrying about what some religious people think.

Old 02-13-2023, 03:09 PM

11,118 posts, read 7,188,359 times
There is a single dimension that can come from belief in higher matters (a higher plane of existence, etc), that is both simple and unifying. Religion mostly is 180 degrees opposite, and interferes with it.

An analogy would be looking at humanity in a similar single approach, as what everyone of us has in common. Then people get caught up in race, racism, appearance, etc. that likewise works 180 degrees against that.

There is a petty and tampering ugliness that sprouts up in mankind. We can't leave matters simple and unspoiled.

Old 02-13-2023, 04:35 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,165,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
A straight question, no dodging please: if this Being of Light loves us so much then why doesn't he reveal himself and then do something about all the pain and suffering down here?
God doesn't interfere in our lives, rather we are given free will to do as we wish. And that includes sinning, etc.

God is available 24/7 for those who want a personal relationship with Him. He removes our pain and suffering when we ask Him to do so.

To learn more, read here: God the Heavenly Father

Old 02-13-2023, 04:47 PM

43,185 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Quote:

I believe there's something higher than us. Lots of societies did in history.
It's just that the names change and the stories get altered a bit.

The number 12 seems significant going all the way back to the Titans.
The poly vs mono "god" variations
Heroes sent from above

That this common theme goes back as far as we can discover....that alone means something.

Religion just seems like a way to make it more tangible to people at a given time in a given society.

We talk of "Greek Mythology" yet it was a religion to them.
In 2000 years they may talk about "Christian Mythology" if some new story evolves.

Old 02-13-2023, 04:51 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,944,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
God doesn't interfere in our lives, rather we are given free will to do as we wish. And that includes sinning, etc.

God is available 24/7 for those who want a personal relationship with Him. He removes our pain and suffering when we ask Him to do so.

To learn more, read here: God the Heavenly Father

Does God ever visit you? Can you hear his audible voice when you pray to him? Can you touch him or feel him? Do you pray for a sick relative and then suddenly that relative is miraculously cured of his disease? Does he manifest himself in any discernible way other than a warm fuzzy feeling you get in the pit of your stomach every time you pray to him or talk to him? You do know I hope that belief in God stimulates the exact same pleasure and reward areas of the brain as crack cocaine does. Doesn't that make God nothing more than a narcotic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality