Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 07:55 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
No, I don't, and don't understand the need for groups, or the somewhat twisted morals, and Satanic chanting.
so then it sounds like you are not only against freedom of religion, but are against religion altogether.
that is a problem right there.

and that you can't see why it is a problem, is an even bigger problem.

I'm not sure what country you live in, but in the USA there is the Constitution and the First Amendment gives us: "First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble"

The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution says that everyone in the United States has the right to practice their own religion, or no religion at all. It sounds like you are against that.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-13-2023 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 08:26 AM

13,623 posts, read 10,025,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
A straight question, no dodging please: if this Being of Light loves us so much then why doesn't he reveal himself and then do something about all the pain and suffering down here?
I can't say "he" hasn't revealed himself. Much of the pain and suffering is down to religion anyway.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so then it sounds like you are not only against freedom of religion, but are against religion altogether.
that is a problem right there.

and that you can't see why it is a problem, is an even bigger problem.

I'm not sure what country you live in, but in the USA there is the Constitution and the First Amendment gives us: "First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble"

The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution says that everyone in the United States has the right to practice their own religion, or no religion at all. It sounds like you are against that.
More about, why anyone needs an organized religion, when religions, have some strange moral codes, and a whole load of assumptions. I mean, why must we all be sinners, be forever asking for forgiveness, and be forgiving? Why must we accept others to be better than ourselves? Why look at everything in nature, as though it were put there to be our our play thing, or our commodity to strip?

Old 02-13-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Religion can be a cause of problems, especially when mixed with mental health issues, politics, or people seeking a tool to gain (or abuse) power.

Then there are religions that codify false information and dubious moral laws, and create an 'us and them' system that creates division that can lead to wars.

But religion often provides comfort, security, and a sense of belonging. The picture is neither simple nor black and white.
I can't agree more.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:35 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,002 times
Quote:
If I were to offer you the idea of the belief in God, but with no connection to religious teachings, of any kind, would that be acceptable?

Not a being that humans are created in the image of, but a being of light and unbelievable love.

To atheists, is it the religion part that causes problems?

Just questions, but maybe an answer too.
To some extent this is how I define my own spirituality.

While I was raised Baptist, I have been exposed to other religions in school and personal study. I no longer follow one specific "religion", but I do believe in God and Jesus. So there is connection to religious teachings but not as a set of rules or dogma.

Some parts of my belief I can't explain and I guess that's how it should be (IMO). God is not explainable in some ways.

I saw something the other day that was simple but profound (for me) it said God has no religion. It made sense to me because God has always been...before religions were even invented.

I also really liked the definition of Omnism - the belief that no religion is truth but that truth is found within them all.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:43 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
If I were to offer you the idea of the belief in God, but with no connection to religious teachings, of any kind, would that be acceptable?

Not a being that humans are created in the image of, but a being of light and unbelievable love.

To atheists, is it the religion part that causes problems?

Just questions, but maybe an answer too.
The part that "causes problems" to this atheist is that there is no [even close to] conclusive evidence of the tales.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The part that "causes problems" to this atheist is that there is no [even close to] conclusive evidence of the tales.
Admittedly, I see religion as a marketing ploy, to gain wealth, power, land, and to keep people producing and consuming as they've been taught to.

Now, forget religion, could you accept God, if God were to come to you, and let you feel the love?

Old 02-13-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
More about, why anyone needs an organized religion, when religions, have some strange moral codes, and a whole load of assumptions. I mean, why must we all be sinners, be forever asking for forgiveness, and be forgiving? Why must we accept others to be better than ourselves? Why look at everything in nature, as though it were put there to be our our play thing, or our commodity to strip?
Excellent questions.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
To some extent this is how I define my own spirituality.

While I was raised Baptist, I have been exposed to other religions in school and personal study. I no longer follow one specific "religion", but I do believe in God and Jesus. So there is connection to religious teachings but not as a set of rules or dogma.

Some parts of my belief I can't explain and I guess that's how it should be (IMO). God is not explainable in some ways.

I saw something the other day that was simple but profound (for me) it said God has no religion. It made sense to me because God has always been...before religions were even invented.

I also really liked the definition of Omnism - the belief that no religion is truth but that truth is found within them all.
the bolded...that's very convenient

Old 02-13-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Admittedly, I see religion as a marketing ploy, to gain wealth, power, land, and to keep people producing and consuming as they've been taught to.

Now, forget religion, could you accept God, if God were to come to you, and let you feel the love?
sure...but apparently he's in another town...the town of Inabsentia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality